kinda new member

iwantagnnow

turbo g-body newb
so you can say im a new member, even though I registered on here almost 3 years ago lol.

At any rate, I aquired a 1983 Buick T-Type. Its very rough, but I think with some TLC it can become my dream car. I've always wanted a mint condition 87 Grand national. So I have some questions.

1. How hard would it be to remove the carbed turbo motor and drop in a 3.8 SFI turbo motor, harness, and computer out of an 86/87?

2. What transmission is best to use with these turbo motors?

3. What kind of rear diff. is in these turbo g-bodies? I assume a 10 bolt. If so, how much power can these 10 bolts handle? At what point during modding, do I need to become concerned about my rear diff?

4. Can I swap in the 86/87 interior into my 83? I have this ugly red interior, and its just plain trashed anyway. Dash is cracked very badly, seats are horriffic, carpet is poop....

I think thats it for now. Also if any moderators or admins see this, can I please have my username changed to 88Nightmare? That is the moniker I use on all the boards Im on. Thanks guys :biggrin:

welcome!

Welp, you have a bag of worms there as a project. Most guys who have done such a conversion and restoration report that they should have started with a better car....It would have saved money and emotional energy in the long run.

If you search our archives, you'll find these same questions answered a hundred times over.

Good Luck :)

a little wisdom

First congratulations on the purchase. For what it's worth, remember you can enjoy any car for what it is, in any condition. Patience with these cars is a priority, otherwise you can wind up with too much money wrapped up in one. My advice is to learn to work on the car and its particular mechanical systems, learn what is unique to the regals, and get it running well with the TLC and maintenance items.

In time you can add one performance item at a time to evaluate the results, but again, I wouldn't invest too much in a starter vehicle. In a few years you can buy a 86/87 GN and you will have all the knowledge and experience gained with this car, which will be invaluable. Whenever you want to spend money on this one you think you shouldn't, or can get by without, put that money in a savings account for the next car purchase.