Kicking myselp right now.... I almost ran out of gas!!!

follow_me_22

Ok, I know, i know... I swear my fuel gauge read almost a half tank one second and the next, the car was sputtering almost empty:eek:. I limped to the gas station trying not to use the gas pedal at all. I barely made it to the pump. I put about 8 gallons of 76 91-octane ( chevron 91 regularly ), let the car idle a minute and drove off. A minute later the car was sputtering again. Starts and idle pretty normal but bucks and sputters when applying gas.<b> Could this be air in the fuel line? A clogged or bad pump? Has anyone else ever had this happen?</b> The car is completely stock.I believe I have the stock pump and I have a walbro to put in but I want to know before of anything else that could be the cause...

Put the Walbro in anyway and get a hot-wire kit. Fuel pumps seem to just die and give you no warning. The fuel guage doesn't make sense. Sounds kind of like a mass air going south. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? Any mechanic shop could put a fuel pressure gauge on in a few minutes to check the line pressure. TPS maybe? Getting any codes? Let us know.

ttt

I had the car checked out about a week ago and got a pretty good bill of health. I was told my fuel pressure was too high ( due to a smashed fp regulator ) and I had resistance in my #3 plug wire. He suggested I change the fuel pump and I was just waiting on my hotwire kit. I dont have a scanmaster yet so I dont know what the reading are. I just like to have an idea before I start throwing money around. Oh yea... the car would sputter going 60-65 very rarely and it has always seemed to be in the high rpm range ( about 3k:eek: )for that speed to me.

The RPM you stated is about right for a 3:42 ratio rear end. Again, if you are reading the factory tach the reading is probably off.
The crushed fuel pressure regulator was an effort to raise the fuel pressure by the previous owner.
The fuel delivery problem could be the regulator, fuel filter and/or fuel pump. You need to start by doing a spring cleaning and replace the fuel pump, fuel filter and regulator.

The RPM you stated is about right for a 3:42 ratio rear end. Again, if you are reading the factory tach the reading is probably off.
The crushed fuel pressure regulator was an effort to raise the fuel pressure by the previous owner.
The fuel delivery problem could be the regulator, fuel filter and/or fuel pump. You need to start by doing a spring cleaning and replace the fuel pump, fuel filter and regulator.

Definitely spring cleaning time... I have the new walbro GN version of the 340 but I'm still waiting for the hot wire kit to come. I figured it pointless to change the pump without it. The rpm thing still doesnt feel right to me. I am going off the stock tach but its mostly the "feel" of the car working when it should be just cruising and every now and then it would sorta stumble:confused:. Drives fine on the street.

If you noticed that it started sputtering worse after the fill up, then chances are your fuel filter is clogged/partially clogged. When you ran the gas low, your pump started picking up all of that garbage that accumulated in the tank over the years.

I would go ahead and change the fuel filter since it is cheap and probably wise to do so at regular intervals regardless of how often you drive it.

I am learning about all of this Preventive maintenance stuff with my GN now that I am driving it more.

All of my other garage queens seem to cooperate....

If you noticed that it started sputtering worse after the fill up, then chances are your fuel filter is clogged/partially clogged. When you ran the gas low, your pump started picking up all of that garbage that accumulated in the tank over the years.

I would go ahead and change the fuel filter since it is cheap and probably wise to do so at regular intervals regardless of how often you drive it.

I am learning about all of this Preventive maintenance stuff with my GN now that I am driving it more.

All of my other garage queens seem to cooperate....

Exactly, change the fuel filter first.

ttt

That's exactly what I thought. Update... I bled the line a little from the fuel rail and the sputtering went away:D. I'm taking the car to have the FP/ filter change today.