Kenne Bell Headers with GBody Down pipe?

phvrod

FAST WITH CLASS
I finally got around to removing my stock manifolds to install a set of Kenne Bell headers. I have the headers ceramic coated and they are ready to install.I also ordered a new Gbody 3 inch down pipe.

Its not looking like the down pipe will fit with these headers? Does anyone have a similar setup?

Im thinking i may have a lot of modifying to do? I also wanted to Keep my heater/blower motor if at all possible.

Also anyone have a suggestion of a up pipe to use ?

The headers look like they will fit great but do i need a special downpipe? Thanks Paul:confused:

Attachments

• Copy of DSC_0496.jpg
    Copy of DSC_0496.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 570
  • Copy of DSC_0517.jpg
    Copy of DSC_0517.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 538
  • Copy of DSC_0519.jpg
    Copy of DSC_0519.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 552
  • DSC_0534.jpg
    DSC_0534.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 521
  • kenne bell driver side comp.jpg
    kenne bell driver side comp.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 525
Well join the club....

I actually have a Keith Mease 3" dp with KB headers. The g-body parts dp I think is basically modeled after the mease pipe.

I had a muffler shop customize my pipe. They used spare pipe they had from a newer dodge hemi truck they had laying around. It is 3" mandrel bent stainless. Those trucks have a nice exhaust system from the factory. I have to take my dump pipe off, then the mid-section of dp, then the top section with elbow, then I can get the passenger side header off.

By the way, I did a plug change at BG this past October and the driver side was a pain due to the hydroboost, but the passenger side is near impossible. You need a 20" extension and a swiveling 5/8" spark plug socket to even attempt the passenger side. Took me about a hour and fifteen mins. to do the change with the right tools.

Good luck and have fun,

Jerry jr.

Phvrod

Thanks this really helps...Is the area i show the section you added?

The other pictures at the bottom of your signature really helped as well.

Thats funny you mentioned the plugs.I was thinking i better put in a fresh set now before the down pipe arrives.

Attachments

• mease altered pipe with arrow.JPG
    mease altered pipe with arrow.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 477
The sections added...

The sections that are added are the one you highlighted and the one below it as well (the section that enters the band clamp under the a/c box).

If you need any more help or have questions about anything on my car, just pm me or email me as well. Always be glad to help.

Jerry jr.

Phvrod

Thank you..I will do just that. Down pipe should arrive this week and thats next weekends project hopefully...Then im adding alky system..

You guys are discovering why Lee Thompson made his downpipes in 3 pieces.

You could unbolt just the top section and change the plugs and almost have some skin left on your knuckles when you're done.:cool:

Access

Great point.Since ill be cutting this pipe up to modify ill make it able to remove the top section with some v-band clamps.

wow

I received my pipe today.....tight fit is an understatement..WACO i give you credit for making yours fit...do you have any pictures from underneath the car so i can see exactly where the pipe came out in relationship to the frame and wheel well....did you have to cut away some of the wheel well plastic? im definately adding vband clamps to not only aid in rotating the elbows to the right degree but to allow for easier removal when needing to get to a section...Also got my razor alky kit today and dump pipe and new TT chip all reprogramed ....a lot of fun parts.... Thanks in advance for any help...at first thought i was thinking to hell with the kernne bell headers ,this gbody down pipe would fit perfect if they werent in the way,then i thought just rework the header :confused:. Ill just try to follow your route instead....also adding sound performance boost actuated dump valve while im doing it.....:cool:

Yep I had to remove some of the plastic...

But mine was burned and melted anyway from the old kenne-bell dp.

Driver side manifold

Bottom of driver header into cross-over

Cross- over going up to meet the pass header v-band

Cross-over - pass header v-band conection

The pass side v-band and the dp strap clamp are side by side in this picture. Kinda hard to make it out.

This is the big pipe coming down under the a/c box and turning down over the top of the frame.

Just a tip if you want to clean any of that area of the car, do it before you put the pipe in the car because you cant even shine a flashlight in there once that big mofo pipe is running through there.

Good luck,

Jerry jr.

phvrod

Brent-I just took a break for a while...I remember all the help you gave me to get this far...Im sure ill be calling you again in the spring with more questions.... after these parts im planning on getting a REAL Turbo/stall setup then rearend work...Also looking for a car to just drag...This 85 is just to mess around with ......Ill post some pics in a week or 2.....PHVROD

pictures

Jerry Jr.-Thanks-this helped alot! if you find any more fell free to send..the description helped a ton....Paul