Keep steering shaft question

TOOMANYTOYS

I am in the middle of swapping my oem steering shaft out for a jeep shaft and comparing them side by side the jeep shaft is about 4 inches longer. Is this right? How do I get it to fit?

kirban 2 cents worth

the better shaft to use is a modified GM shaft easier to work with. Jeep shaft should be telescopic but some of them require a major hit with a huge hammer to get it to move.....shafts I sell and others use the later ones from a GM van which are easier to work with...

just my 2 cents worth

I don't recommend a hammer but its one solution.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I did switch mine in my first car, i seem to remember the shaft telescoping in and out to fit it in although it was a long time ago and im not sure mine came from a jeep. I did buy it from kirbans if that helps any.

kirban 2 cents worth

as above posts says he bought kirban (me) I never sold the Jeep version, only the modified GM one...which by the way comes out of a newer GM vehicle and is not subject to rust because it is encased in a boot from the factory. It has to be modified or clocked or whatever they call it so your steering wheel remains straight when you are driving in a straight line.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

You got a pic of the jeep shaft you have now?
I had same issue and was able with a bit of effort to collapse the shaft.

After a few good shots with a hammer it freed up and I was able to collapse it no problem. The only issue now is my steering wheel is no longer centered. I think that my new steering box is defective though.

If using the best replacement available, probably the one Denis sells I guess, what are the benefits of this swap.

I know I can do a search and find all the answers spread out over a bunch of posts.

But how about a quick listing for all to see in one place?

After a few good shots with a hammer it freed up and I was able to collapse it no problem. The only issue now is my steering wheel is no longer centered. I think that my new steering box is defective though.
I had same issue. Stay with it it will work. Collapse the shaft to where it is seperate again then turn steering wheel to where it is centered. Then using the gear box or wheels center those. It took me a few times to get it right but it finally was centered. Its been a while since i did it, but i remember these issues. I even had to pull one of the things off of the splined shafts and rotate it to get mine to work.
You might just be 180 out .

kirban 2 cents worth

Benefits of the upgraded shaft as requested in earlier post.

The main thing is this shaft has a metal joint at both ends and eliminates your 30 year old riveted rag joint at your steering box end. I confess I have not done the swap on my car yet but someday.

Shaft I sell is a GM item it looks better not as bulk as your factory lower shaft is. The shaft is not a direct swap has to be reclocked which I deal with a guy who does this. The part would pass for new .

Also it pays to change out the bearing at the other end of your main shaft as we sell a meal bearing GM used some sort of rubber like bearing....with the lower shaft out it enables you to replace that bearing as well.

Basically it eliminates the slop caused by a 30 year old rag joint.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

also makes kirban more money....although I cant take credit for the idea other companies ell them also.