Just switched from a 6152 jrn to bb 66

Well I just finished installing a bunch of stuff. 4" MegaMaf pipe, Gen 2 Trans, New built Tranny, Art Carr NLU 3200 converter, & a BB CPT66 turbo.

My previous setup was a 6152 PTE journal bearing turbo, stock 200r4, pats 3200 lockup converter, POS intake and stock maf.

Now I am running both turbos off the wastegate at 12 psi, The CPT 66 seems to goto about 10-11 and hold. (I thought I would have a problem running 12psi with this turbo and a non ported WG hole?)

So with the 6152 it took till about 3200 to spool and when it hit 12 psi it felt like a rocket and would spin the tires loose at 60-70kph

The CPT66 spools very quick 2200 full psi by 3000 (12psi) but by 4500 it feels like it falls on its butt. It does not spin the tires loose at 60-70kph anymore and honestly feels like a, if lucky a high 13 second car where as with the 6152 I would have said the butt dyno said mid to low 13's. Both turbo's are .63 ar's hot

Any suggestions with this to get some top end back out of the car? Or is it just a matter of turning up the boost for the 66 to be more effiecent?

All my other mods are mostly in my sig.

I am guessing that the turbo isn't working well at low psi or the converter is slipping.

Any suggestions would be great.

Brandon!

Turn it up( like 20 psi +) then compare them,I had a WWC convertor at 2800 stall and a 44 the thing was awsome,stuck the 66bb with that convertor it was a dog.I Have a 9inch lock up now mabe about 3000 to 3200 its pretty dam impressive but I would like another 200 rpm.The 44 with old setup with MT drag radials would frie them pretty good, there not spinny now but pulls harder.

mike

Well I just finished installing a bunch of stuff. 4" MegaMaf pipe, Gen 2 Trans, New built Tranny, Art Carr NLU 3200 converter, & a BB CPT66 turbo.

My previous setup was a 6152 PTE journal bearing turbo, stock 200r4, pats 3200 lockup converter, POS intake and stock maf.

Now I am running both turbos off the wastegate at 12 psi, The CPT 66 seems to goto about 10-11 and hold. (I thought I would have a problem running 12psi with this turbo and a non ported WG hole?)

So with the 6152 it took till about 3200 to spool and when it hit 12 psi it felt like a rocket and would spin the tires loose at 60-70kph

The CPT66 spools very quick 2200 full psi by 3000 (12psi) but by 4500 it feels like it falls on its butt. It does not spin the tires loose at 60-70kph anymore and honestly feels like a, if lucky a high 13 second car where as with the 6152 I would have said the butt dyno said mid to low 13's. Both turbo's are .63 ar's hot

Any suggestions with this to get some top end back out of the car? Or is it just a matter of turning up the boost for the 66 to be more effiecent?

All my other mods are mostly in my sig.

I am guessing that the turbo isn't working well at low psi or the converter is slipping.

Brandon!

THE 66 bb on my car runs great at 18 to 19 lbs of boost , but at 22 23 its like night and day

I will run more boost & get back to you guys.

Just trying it out with the 12psi, trying not to burn my wallet in gas prices.

Thanks Brandon!

Or is it just a matter of turning up the boost for the 66 to be more effiecent?

Brandon!
YES! At 12psi your not even using that turbo! You need to jump it up to at least 18-20psi. You were right about the effieciant part!

Turn it up and then let us know!!

Scot W.

I tired to turn it up and am pretty sure I was having a different problem. With this turbo, the WG wasn't sealing proper. I talked to jack, and he told me there is no way that the 66 should be less powerfull than the 6152. He also said as I have read on here before that I would have trouble running 12psi without it creeping up if I didn't port the WG hole out which I didn't and I only seem to creep up to 14psi tops.

I noticed one day last week that when the tranny shifted it actually lost some boost pressure.

I checked out all my pipes and for vacuum leaks and found none.

I just finished installing a cottons dp and rg45 wg but as it has been all summer it's raining.

I will post back as soon as it stops raining at 12psi again off the wg spring and see what happens. Than I will turn it up and let you know what happens.

Taking it to the track on friday night also, so I will post some times.

Heres a pic of the old DP and the new DP

2822026_59_full.jpg

2822026_56_full.jpg

Brandon!

Running the 66 at 12psi is a waste. Its way out of the efficiency range at that level. Look at the compressor map. It would be ok on a 455ci at that level. It wont work very well until its over 21psi on a 231ci. The stock size wastegate hole is a problem too. You need to go to at least 1.1 inches or it will creep if the car is capable of going over 125mph in the quarter. The converter is not giving you the optimum coupling either. The AC's are ok. But not like a PTC.

That was my original thought (compressor maps) untill I talked to jack about the 12psi vs 12psi on both turbo's.

I guess tomorrow if it doesn't rain I will still have an answer to my question about the 12psi. I want to run it with the WG hole stock and see how it creeps now compaired to before. I would think with that size hole I should see over 15psi when it creeps or I have a problem else where with the setup. Than I will take the turbo back off and port the WG hole and turn it up to around 17psi on the street and see how it does.

I won't be doing 125mph I don't have a bottom end that will take that yet. Old turbo I was running a lock up 10" pats 3200 now 3200 AC non lock up.

One problem with 12lbs of boost...... you need a good flowing set of heads and a cam for a 66 to work well and to it's potential. Your converter may be a little tight as well, which will slow spool up. If your wastegate set up is not done properly, your boost level and time of spool up will also be compromised. I do see the potential for performance to be diminished if the proper procedures and guidelines are not followed. As for your bottom end, tuning has everything to do with whether it lives or dies. We have to also look at RPM, are you allowing the RPM's to get up to at least 5400 to 5700? If not, you may see the shift cause a loss of boost and and you shift RPM to be out of the power range...

Taking it to the track tonight. Going to put some race gas if they got it and run it up in the 20's See if I still have a problem after that.

Car doesn't feel much better at 12psi, taking the turbo off this morning porting the WG hole and putting the 17psi spring in.

This is good info on the 66, i didnt know about the RPM range. I will remember when my 66 gets back, Thx Jack!

I got a dbb66 as well, but no track times yet! FAST B2B sure helps alot!

Good experience posted here so far.
XxDarkSidexX

Look at my combo. I have a GTQ exhaust but the same compressor as you. The comp wheel looks like its going to be good to 5800rpm in my combo at 27psi. Enough to go about 136mph in the quarter. I doubt my bottom would last more than a pass or two at 27psi. Its seen 5600 at least 10x in 3rd though:biggrin: . Absolutely no detonation ever though.

Ported the WG hole to 1.25" Put the 15psi spring in and went for a test drive and for some reason it spiked to 22psi car started spinning and going sideways. Tried it again and same thing started to spool up to 20psi. Not exactly sure what went wrong with the spring but I put the 11psi spring back in and it pulls 11psi.

Leaving right now to goto the track. Going to bring my springs and try to change them there and see what happens?

Next post will be times good or bad.

Brandon!

Here are the times: All on pump gas

First pass 11-12psi (Too be honest better than it felt.)

60 - 2.3837
1/8 - 9.3118
1/8mph - 80.06
1/4 - 14.1806@97.61

Second pass 15-17psi

60 - 2.2472
1/8 - 9.1222
1/8mph - 82.22
1/4 - 13.7511@104.63

Last pass 15-18psi (spike)

60 - 2.1619
1/8 - 8.9999
1/8mph - 82.14
1/4 - 13.6651@103.46

Had to get out of it for a second than right back into it when the knock went away.

BLM's Seem to be always around 119-120 range
vacuum pulls 17-18 hm at idle no problem
Car shifted at 5100

I Could not build boost at the line so not great 60footers but I was on radials. So I would say slicks would pull it down to 12.9 maybe.

Any ideas guys? I should have enough goodies here to run mid 12's easy I would think.

You need to spin the motor to at least 5600-5800rpm's. Are you leaving off your trans brake or off the foot brake? When you shift at 5100rpm, your rpm drop is probably around 1,000rpm, which means you drop to around 4000-4100rpm, I'm sure your boost drops and has to build itself back up, causing a loss of power. A bit looser converter will probably help as well, without hurting street performance. And last but not least, you should be able to run low 12's pretty easily, actually, you should be able to run 11's when you work the tune-up and technique correctly..... you certainly have enough goodies there to do it. :) Race gas, or alky, boost and a good tune should see 10's.....:eek:

Are you leaving off your trans brake or off the foot brake?

Foot brake and no boost. Start to do a brake stand when I try to build boost slow. I was leaving at about 0 hg's

Those two run's 15-18psi were just in Drive. I wanted to try to watch my gauges and see what was going on and it was shifting at 5000-5100

Boost only dropped once on the last run back to 15psi on the 3-4shift.

At this point I am wondering if maybe I did choose too much turbo for my application. Or do you think I can work it out to make my setup work with this turbo. I know I have read on here lots people being happy with there 66-67mm turbos on stock blocks.

The car seems to run and drive great now so I keep shaking my head at what I am doing wrong. Seen a couple of posts that dusty from PTC converters was having the persicion guys running 2800 stalls on the 6776BB?

I know my translator has been keep messing up and is starting to do so again where it erases my fuel added points.

Hoping we can figure this one out because I don't plan to drop in size if you guys think we can make it work. Just 104mph is a huge power difference to 115mph where we think it should be able to get to easy.

Thanks Brandon!