just replaced TPS still seems to run rich

nothingman

My 83 buick t-type was throwing an check engine code for the tps so replaced it, still getting the bog at acceleration right before boost and the occasional check engine light after running the car for awhile then boosting at 60mph cruise speed when dropping into passing gear. trans was just rebuilt, shifts great with nice hard shift kit if that helps. only other issue is some vac line connection at cold air intake because i removed the smog junk and a slight leak on the drivers side header, pretty lost as to where to start. have the timing set close to spot on i think and been adjusting the air bleed assembly but not sure if that's where i should be tackling this issue.

runs smooth and shifts crisp during normal driving, it seems to run a little rich then when trying to boost it bogs a bit causing bad turbo lag... only thing i can think is an issue with too much fuel?

I don't think the TPS would effect air/fuel ratio much. It does matter on the Torque Converter Clutch engagement. Is the clutch working properly? Has the oxygen sensor been replaced recently?

hey thanks for the responses! i've not adjusted the tps, is that required? the clutch seems to be engaging correctly, the trans was just completely rebuilt. i have not replaced the oxygen sensor, however that was my next step and the o2 sensor is in. i suppose that should be my next step yeah?

I think the biggest thing the TPS effects is the TCC when crusing down the highway. I had mine misadjusted and the TCC was locking and unlocking too often. It's easy to check/adjust if you have a scan tool.
This might help. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/tps-readings.43985/

One wire-O2 sensors are so cheap now, I change them whenever the car is running goofy.

Depending on how far out the TPS is, it can cause sluggish performance. Been there done that on my 84 Camaro. You can usually find a 4000E scanner on evilbay or even here on the board fairly cheap. You really need to get one to check how things are operating.

replaced the o2 sensor finally but unfortunately have 0 money left to buy a scan tool... she's still sluggish until higher rpms are reached, also stumbles off the line. i've adjusted the timing to about 15 over tdc, have checked for vacuum leaks and have tried to adjust the carb a bunch. there must be something i'm missing???

replaced the o2 sensor finally but unfortunately have 0 money left to buy a scan tool... she's still sluggish until higher rpms are reached, also stumbles off the line. i've adjusted the timing to about 15 over tdc, have checked for vacuum leaks and have tried to adjust the carb a bunch. there must be something i'm missing???
Maybe your out of fuel when you punch it or the secondaries are opening too fast? There's an adjustment for secondary opening rate.

that could be it, it was producing a rich like smoke from the tailpipe when i punched it before and i did do some adjusting to the little screw for the secondaries on the pass side of the carb... is that tiny flathead screw used to adjust the opening rate? also been trying to figure out how to adjust the idle air bleed valve but i'm sure that only has to do with a nice smooth idle

The secondaries have 2 adjustments. One is the butterfly spring and the other is the pull off. If the pull off is opening to slow then it's causing a rich condition, and if the spring tension of the secondaries is is to tight then it will do the same thing.

thank you guys for the help! hmm i did make the secondary butterfly spring loose... tried to look for the pull off, are you referring to the choke pull off and how do i adjust that?

I think it's time you visit the B4black sister site, the 301 garage. The owner, Joe, has several threads about how to fix and/or modify the Q-jet as well as some connections with the original design team that built the TTA. Since we use the same basic system we usually have the same issues and I've been helping with tech over there for a while.