Just put in new trans/motor. Trans won't shift out of 1st

marleyskater420

still needs to learn
Put in a new stage 2 trans from Extreme auto and a 10" PTC TC. Motor was pulled and then we freshened up the top end.

Is there something I could have missed in putting the trans/motor in that would have caused the trans to stay in 1st?

Yes, it has fluid...

Pull the pan and check the magnet for a checkball or a spring stuck to it. Pull the governor out and see if there is one ball missing or if the spring is missing/damaged. If it's the spring, it'll still shift, just really high......If a check ball is missing, it won't shift out of first at all. Pretty easy to check.

Pull the pan and check the magnet for a checkball or a spring stuck to it. Pull the governor out and see if there is one ball missing or if the spring is missing/damaged. If it's the spring, it'll still shift, just really high......If a check ball is missing, it won't shift out of first at all. Pretty easy to check.

I brought it to 5k and it still would not shift.

I have to pull the pan to see the governer?

Unfortunately, yes. Once the pan is off, behind the valvebody is a cover with 4 bolts, 13mm. Take em out, gov slides right out.

Attachments

• 100_0705.jpg
    100_0705.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 434
  • 100_0704.jpg
    100_0704.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 443
Use a clean drain pan and save it, pour it back in.... If your pan doesn't have a drain plug, now is the time to install one......

Use a clean drain pan and save it, pour it back in.... If your pan doesn't have a drain plug, now is the time to install one......

its a brand-new tranny.

Do you think it could be anything external we missed? Perhaps the tv cable is just too tight? Maybe a part fell off somewhere I missed?

I really don't want to drop this oil pan if you get me.

Give Lonnie a call and see what he has to say about it. You can save the oil and reuse it as mentioned above.

Thanks!!!!!

Thanks i see them now! I will check this before we do a full valve body swap that Lonnie said he would ship us. Will have updates this Sat! FINGERS CROSSED!!!

Russ, Where would the check ball be located when I pull the governor off? I will be helping him check this.
Jerry

Sorry man, I didn't see this. Couple more pics for you.

Attachments

• 100_0707.jpg
    100_0707.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 352
  • 100_0709.jpg
    100_0709.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 348
  • 100_0714.jpg
    100_0714.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 357
Thanksssss !!!!!!

Now that is service! I am hoping this is what it is! It could have been dropped or whatever on it's long drive out here. It took 5 days to get here by truck and it was snowy the week before. I am sure that didn't help! We will for sure keep everyone updated when we get to it this Sat.
Jerry

When you do get it out, IF it's a missing check ball, make sure to note which weight holds it in. You'll have to disassemble the whole thing, bend that tab in a little to make sure the ball can't fall completely out again. But not so much as to not let the ball come off the seat (shaft) at all..... Use trans gel/Vaseline to hold the checkballs on the shaft, put the weights together on the shaft and slide the pin in and use air (becareful) to see if they can come out on their own again......

When you put it back together, the weights can't bind up on themselves or the plastic spacer (on the shaft) AT ALL! Might take you a little while to get it right and you might have to take it apart a few times but you'll be a master when you're done....

Don't forget to put the spring on the small weight and make sure the o-ring on the shaft is ok as well...

When you do get it out, IF it's a missing check ball, make sure to note which weight holds it in. You'll have to disassemble the whole thing, bend that tab in a little to make sure the ball can't fall completely out again. But not so much as to not let the ball come off the seat (shaft) at all..... Use trans gel/Vaseline to hold the checkballs on the shaft, put the weights together on the shaft and slide the pin in and use air (becareful) to see if they can come out on their own again......

When you put it back together, the weights can't bind up on themselves or the plastic spacer (on the shaft) AT ALL! Might take you a little while to get it right and you might have to take it apart a few times but you'll be a master when you're done....

Don't forget to put the spring on the small weight and make sure the o-ring on the shaft is ok as well...

well this is going to be super-fun to do underneath a car in my garage.

I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for all the help maistro!

A friend of mine had a similar experience with an Extreme Stage 2, still unresolved. Replacing the gov and valve body did not fix the shifting problem
He is waiting for a replacement trans to be shipped
Has your luck improved yet?
Were your calls returned?
I'm considering a spragless T400 from this company, but there seems to a Quality control/ customer service hichup from what has been a respected vendor in the past.

A friend of mine had a similar experience with an Extreme Stage 2, still unresolved. Replacing the gov and valve body did not fix the shifting problem
He is waiting for a replacement trans to be shipped
Has your luck improved yet?
Were your calls returned?
I'm considering a spragless T400 from this company, but there seems to a Quality control/ customer service hichup from what has been a respected vendor in the past.

I would like to make it clear that this company has been helpful when I have been able to get ahold of them. They have been polite and willing to work with me. I have not felt at any time they are trying to screw me over.

I have not received the valvebody, but I believe it was shipped late last week. I will report back when I do.

I think every company goes through hard times here and there, perhaps they might be right now. I understand this, and am willing to work with them.