Just picked up my 3rd GN misfire (video)

65psiboost

Hi,
I’m not sure what was done to this engine. All I know is I have a random misfire about every 3-5 seconds. I think I have an exhaust leak on the drivers side. But I’m not sure what injectors or chip is in this car. The chip isn’t stock or a turbo tweak chip. I can’t read what it says anymore. The gas tank, pump, lines are all new. Runs and drive but stumbles when you get into boost or past 1/2 throttle.
I’m sorry I don’t have any scanmaster data yet. It should be here on Thursday and I will post up. What I can tell you is it has excellent oil pressure as I tested it today. Please see the video. Disregard that big stupid looking vacuum gauge seen. I forgot to remove it. It doesn’t work. Any info would be great. I suspect an exhaust manifold leak from the drivers side.

It does sound like a cracked driver side header(typical), just for starters. Remove it and get it welded or buy new one. Do this first as it has to be done regardless what else is wrong with the car. TA,s are prob best bet for new one but is exspensive.

It does sound like a cracked driver side header(typical), just for starters. Remove it and get it welded or buy new one. Do this first as it has to be done regardless what else is wrong with the car. TA,s are prob best bet for new one but is exspensive.
Yup, I’ve beem down this road before with one of my other GN’s. How much you wanna bet it’s been welded about 3 times already lol.
I will post up as soon as I get it out.
Thanks

Well we were all right about the famous rip in the drivers side header.
This one looks like the worst weld repair that I’ve ever seen. And this car came with an alternator torque strap. When my dads old GN ripped like 9 years ago I was still living in nyc and I took it to a welding auto fabrication shop in West Babylon Ny that did this awesome weld it was almost like it was a liquid glaze weld. Idk I can’t explain it but it looked brand new and 9 years later it’s still holding strong.
But this one on this car that I just got in last month looks like someone tried to weld it with a 110v mig welder without gas because I can scrape the sharp edges off without any effort.
Ok guys so if you don’t know I inherited my late farters car when I was 16 and I’m never driving that more then 400 miles a year with absolutely zero mods. So this new GN I picked up is my have fun maybe make a little power at the track. So I need to start with a asking y’all if anyone knows a good welder who knows what he/she is doing when it comes to these manifold issues that is within 100 miles of the Daytona Beach area that can see me right away. I would like all that mess removed and it welded properly. So if any of my fellow Florida neighbors know of a place near me. Please post up.
Also I know that this exhaust leak isn’t gunna be the end of my misfire so as soon as I fix this I will install the scanmaster I Bought and post up some night numbers and maybe y’all can help me hey this running right so I can start with some tasteful and engine safe mods.

Thanks all of you guys and may God protect y’all on and off the road.

Contact Steve at Walts Automotive 386-252-17237 and he should be able to help you out. He has a full service shop and has worked on and owned many Turbo Buicks. Tell him Gary from Orlando sent you.

Contact Steve at Walts Automotive 386-252-17237 and he should be able to help you out. He has a full service shop and has worked on and owned many Turbo Buicks. Tell him Gary from Orlando sent you.
Thanks!!Will do for sure!!! Is he there tomorrow? (Saturday)

This is the worst one I’ve ever seen. Very sloppy job.

Attachments

• ED97A206-A4E1-4D19-8CDA-AA52D94C91FF.jpeg
    ED97A206-A4E1-4D19-8CDA-AA52D94C91FF.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 145
  • B605DF97-714B-4F33-ABEC-24F6803A7D67.jpeg
    B605DF97-714B-4F33-ABEC-24F6803A7D67.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 108
  • EE59A913-4735-4AA5-BD19-B33ED2A11AF7.jpeg
    EE59A913-4735-4AA5-BD19-B33ED2A11AF7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 117
  • C1ABB490-33F7-4092-A492-ACCCBA0D5201.jpeg
    C1ABB490-33F7-4092-A492-ACCCBA0D5201.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 112
  • 608B2251-78F3-4B72-B5E8-9891026A0CE3.jpeg
    608B2251-78F3-4B72-B5E8-9891026A0CE3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 101
Yes he is there on Saturday. 386-252-1727.
Ok that’s all welded up. Thank you Mr Gary Durden for the referral. Like I said I’m from New York and don’t know any GN shops out here. Unfortunately I never got to meet your friend Steve but cliff had it all welded up by 2pm (they even stayed late). The price was $80 out the door which is around what I paid in ny a few years ago.
Tomorrow I’ll get it put back together and I will post up some scanmaster numbers. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this random misfire.
Thanks again for your help

Glad it worked for you. If you get a chance go by and meet Steve as he is very knowledgeable with these cars, plus he owns the shop. There is also a Central Florida Grand National club with a great group of guys. They have something planned for the Turkey Run at the Daytona Speedway during the Thanksgiving weekend.

Hey guys/girls,
I re installed that exhaust manifold that I had welded. I haven’t started it up yet I figured new plugs and compression and leakdown tests can’t hurt as long as I’m in here. But I pulled something very odd out of the engine. Ac delco 41-905 spark plugs. Ive never seen or used these before during any of my spring cleanings on my GNs. I always use the AC delco R43 plugs and never had a problem.
These plugs look like they are in pretty good condition. Could this be one of the causes of my misfire?Should I just throw them back in or should I get the plugs I usually use on my GNs?

That plug crosses to a NGK UR4 , which is on the hotter side . You have them out , I would put in what worked for you before or NGK UR5's

Ok here’s where I’m at on this.
What I did
-full spring cleaning with AC Delco plugs, wires, gapped at .030
-fuel rail oil filled fuel pressure gauge.
-fixed drivers side exhaust manifold leak (I had to put a gasket because it was re welded so many times that I don’t feel it would seal without one. It’s Only temporary, next time it rips I’m getting new ones).
-Walbro pump& hot wire
-removed all the autometer gauges and put back the idiot oil light sensor and stock coolant sensor. (I know that this sounds like a stupid thing to do but the installation job was awful and kept loosing connection to the sending sensors. Who ever installed these used audio speaker wire running through the engine to the sensors. And there was a short in the way they were wired under the dash. It had to go. They are autometer gauges. So I figured I’d sell them on Craigslist and go with some nice defi Digital gauges). I did a mechanical oil pressure test with a tester and the warm oil pressure is great. So for now it’s like that.

-new radiator hoses
-there wasn’t a thermostat. I installed a 160f with a new o ring.
-full coolant flush.
-used eBay full gauge cluster. Mine was broken (that ribbon circuit board was skuffed) and I hated that 165 mph aftermarket overlay that was all faded. So I went back to the ole 85mph speedometer it looks cooler. I figured I’d keep the original one for parts or bulbs.
-seafoam treatment via the brake vacuum hose. Car runs much better.
-changed every single vacuum line. For the time being I bypass the cruse control and charcoal canister.

Here are my scanmaster results. I know I have some tps and IAC adjustments to make. But I know that one of my stock injectors are stuck open and leaking because all the signs are there. Fuel rail looses pressure very quickly less then 5 minuets. Fuel pump and regulator are new. And no external gas leak, cranks for 10 seconds minimum before it starts up, sweet gas smell (not coolant smell). It’s time to loose those stock injectors anyway. So, I ordered some 60lb injectors with a chip from Eric at tt I’m just waiting on them. (I have no idea what chip I have at the moment. It’s not stock and it’s too distorted to read)
I also have a charging issues that I would value y’all opinion on. I’m showing very low voltage. And it’s even lower then what’s in the videos when the headlights are on. It was like 10.3v. The battery is brand new. The dash light comes on and goes out once the car is started like it’s supposed to. Ok I broke a rule and did a very quick test that is very bad for the alternator but I assume that it’s going anyway. I removed the negative battery terminal while it was running and it kept running. So idk what to do about that yet. I never like to replace parts unless I know they are definitely shot. Another thing I noticed was as it idles the light look normal/possibly dim and when I rev the engine they get a tad brighter but nothing crazy.
But I took it for a ride between the 2 scanmaster readings that I posted. And it ran and drove great even with only 11.9v showing on the scanmaster. (Btw I definitely have a charging issue because I get the same with a meter at the battery terminals).
Sorry for the long story. It’s been a while so I had to update with everything I did.

Warmed up before the test ride

After a few boosts on stock turbo. Never any knock.

Sounds like time for a volt drop test. test both sides of the circuits. Also, look at the + batt cable, at the batt end. It may look ok, but down under the insulation, it could be suffering from the "green grunge".
A volt test at the alt, and then at the batt may also show issues w/ the alt supply wire, that runs under the ft of the engine.

Sounds like time for a volt drop test. test both sides of the circuits. Also, look at the + batt cable, at the batt end. It may look ok, but down under the insulation, it could be suffering from the "green grunge".
A volt test at the alt, and then at the batt may also show issues w/ the alt supply wire, that runs under the ft of the engine.
Thanks, how do I do voltage drop tests on both sides of the circuit. Please refresh my memory
Thanks

blm little high check all vacuum hoses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk