Just picked up my 1985 grand national today 8/2/13

T-Bone 67

After years of trying I finally wore my uncle down and convinced him to sign the title over on his 1985 buick grand national. I traded a pickup for it. The car isnt a showroom gem, even for how low of miles are on it (79k). it hasn't ran since late 2009, and in the mean time it sat out in the hot eastern Oregon sun. The interior has some rips and tears but is all there, the body is straight but it needs repainted badly. From what i've been told by the family this car is the 7th grand national made in 1985. I'll be posting a picture of the vin later. What all should I change to try to get this black beauty road worthy again. i was planning on changing all the fluids out and belts. the gas tank and lines were drained prior to the car being parked.

Attachments

• buick 1.jpg
    buick 1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 340
Awesome... welcome to the group. You will find that we're more like a family. Tons of great people and advice... so dont be afraid to ask :)

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I really have no Idea why the car has poorly done flames on it. it's been that way as long as i can remember it. there's probably some great story as to why but my uncle has yet to inform me.

Also, the vin number is 1g4k4795fh441715. all of the vin number decoders i have found online have different information. Can anyone tell me of this really is the 7th grand national made in 85? also any other information about the car would be greatly appreciated. This is the first buick ive ever owned. also the first gasoline vehicle with a turbo. so its all new to me! thanks alot!

Go to GNttype.org and you should find a bunch of info over there. You also might want to post in the HA section and read the stickys. There's tons of info on the board that will help you get it running again.;)

Congrats. I bet you would be amazed how the car would turn out with an orbital buffer, some good compound, and about 10 hours of elbow grease.

...may even be able to burn those flames out with the buffer........

Either way, get crackin! Clean that bad boy up. Take plenty of before/after shots from same angles. Itll make you smile later...

I tried looking up the vin on gnttype.com. it still didnt give me the info i wanted. also said the car was made in 87. not sure how that is possible. the vin matches the title. and the title says 85.

Congrats. I bet you would be amazed how the car would turn out with an orbital buffer, some good compound, and about 10 hours of elbow grease.

...may even be able to burn those flames out with the buffer........

Either way, get crackin! Clean that bad boy up. Take plenty of before/after shots from same angles. Itll make you smile later...

I highly agree, your paint looks very oxidized as mine was as well from the AZ sun.
What you want to do is use some rubbing compound and a few microfiber towels and rub it in.
You can see the difference it did on mine if you look up my thread labeled, "Shes Finally Home."
The thread is located here in the Members/Family section.
I used Meguiar's mainstream line you can find at Walmart/Auto Parts stores and did it all under $30.
It really got rid of the gray and brought out the shiny black.

Anyways, congrats on your trade. Not sure how mechanically savy you are, but I recommend posting your location and see if any members near you want to come out and give you a quick rundown of these cars.

I just used 3m rubbing compound with a electric polisher. 3m foam glaze with a foam pad. Car sat outside for two years this is how it came out. Still debating on what fillers to get.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375832514.553846.jpg

The paint on my car is beyond repair. It is spider cracked all along the roof, hood, and trunk. I tried buffing it out so it would look good from a distance. didnt help much at all im going to work on getting it running great and the interior back to spec before i repaint it.