Just picked up 1985 t-type missing motor and trans

Habibacus

Hello everybody, im as newbie, lol, i just picked up a 1985 t-type and it doesnt have a motor and transmission, brake booster, or master cylinder. it has the harness, radiator, electric fans still. just dont really know where to start. any help would be greatly appreciated. want to go with a 3.8 turbo and 200r4 tranny. thanks

Hello everybody, im as newbie, lol, i just picked up a 1985 t-type and it doesnt have a motor and transmission, brake booster, or master cylinder. it has the harness, radiator, electric fans still. just dont really know where to start. any help would be greatly appreciated. want to go with a 3.8 turbo and 200r4 tranny. thanks

The 85 didn't have electric fans but it's better to have them IMO. What are your plans? Hot-air or intercooled?

open to ideas...im on a budget but if im gonna dtart this project, id like to do it right

LOL I'll need to know how much you really want to spend... Honestly a hot-air would be cheaper but not the same satisfaction comes from it. There is not much of an aftermarket for them. Most people that go fast with a hot-air engine end up intercooling it and that takes a lot of fabrication. A cold air motor is usually not cheap....It has one hell of an aftermarket. If you were going to do a 86/87 engine you would need.....motor, trans, wiring harness, computer. A lot of people do this swap. It's not hard and the rewards are endless.

so i would need to change the harness to suit the 86/87? and what do you think about the carburated 3.8 turbo engines?

The carbed 3.8 are the slowest of all and surely the hardest of all to make go fast. There are guys here that have been trying for a long time to go fast with no luck. You really are better off with fuel injected. What is your budget?

I know its sacrilage but I'd stick an LS motor in that thing! Probably save you money in the long run as well.

Hmm idk with your budget a sbc may get you on the road the fastest but being your first turbo buick you may wanna take your time and build a 3.8 turbo depends on how big of a hurry ur in to get it on the road....you could always get a jkyrd sbc with a 200r4 for now get the car on the road so you can build your 3.8 the right way then swap them over later..Problem with usin a used 3.8 is a high mileage one complete with a tranny will cost you easily $2000 or better and it will prolly be problematic vs either goin the sbc route temporarily or waiting till you got the dough to do it right...

Dont Rule Anything Out...

dont laugh, about $1500 right now

I dunno. Im a CT (carb turbo) owner and our cars even though they aernt as fast as sfi cars are but ours are still no slouches. We have people adapting parts from various cars as performance mods. For example... the headers from a 86/87 TR will work on our cars to convert them from draw through to blow through giving them much more power off of the line. We have people making about 300+ hp and as much torque as sfi cars. I have a stock 83 with about 200lbs worth of junk in it and I weigh 300lbs and the car still gets to 60 mph pretty quick for its age and will put you in your seat considering the abuse the motor has gone through:D Our cars unlike sfi cars can use junkyard car parts and swap parts if we need to such a carbs, PEVRs, turbos, and alot of other mechanical pieces from 70's and 80's cars.

BTW... we have members (and magazine articles) of our cars reaching about 11 seconds in the 1/4... and im kind of a noob at our cars...:D talk to...

www.beforeblack.net
B4Black
charlief1
WarWagon
Dr.Frankenstien
MNCarbTurbo
83turbo (me)
FlintBuick4Life
and others from the Before Black Section:smile:

350 Buick

Too bad you don't live closer to Indiana, I'd make you a deal on a 350 Buick motor that will bolt right in. I'd love to find a motorless TR for cheap to do this....

If you in texas look up charlief1 here on the board.

take your time

I bought my car in 2003, in same condition as your car is now. Took a long time - but its a intercooled 85 gn and I love it. Wouldn't have done it any other way. And trust me - I by no means had/have the money some of the others do on this board. It took me till 2009 to get mine together and roadworthy.

Thats just my 2 cents.