just got my tranny back and......

1of1035

So I had my tranny rebuilt by a well known builder down here. I used all of CK's billet parts and 9x11 3400 l/u converter also from CK. I drove the car about 10 miles before I left the shop and it shifted wonderful. I made a pass and beat on it a little and everything was great. I drove about 40 miles back to work and everything was still ok. On my way home from work it wouldn't shift out of 1st until 4750 rpm. I tried going WOT and easing into it and the shift point didn't change. Once out of 1st it shifts just fine. Any ideas? I'm hoping this is something I can do so I don't have to drive 40 miles back to the tranny shop. Any help would be great. TIA

Also Chris your products are great. I saw everything before it went in and they are works of art. Money well spent.:cool:

Sounds possibly like hte govenor spring fell out of hte govenor or the TV valve may be hung a bit
If oyu drop the pan and pull the housing off of hte back
(4 13mm bolts) and pull it down, youll see the govenor.May sure t has a spring in it. If not theres your problem

if it is only late going into second i would think that band apply oil is being delayed because of a sticky 1/2 shift tv valve.however ,it may be you have lost 2nd gear and its shifting from 1st into 3rd.if you put the selector level in manual 2 after going 35 mphour in manual 3rd does the engine overspeed?if so this would mean that the band doesnt hold and although the the selector is in manual 2 it is in first gear because of the forward clutch is still on and the held divided by the driven principle will produce a ratio of 2.75 :1 .putting you back in 1st gear again.im glad you liked the parts.where did you have the work done?

weel i drove it again and none of the gears were shifting right. Ended up the spring in governor fell out and got caught up. I put in a new governor and spring now the great shifts great.

Chris I had Ivan at Tranny Tech do the work.

great .that does happen from time to time.extended burnouts are usually the cause:D but you dont do that do you:eek: have fun and enjoy the car.thanks for using our products and send us a digital photo for the upcoming manual,name city and state and we willget you in.trannyman0101@aol.com

I actually hadn't done any burnouts at the time of this happening. Since then I've laid about 4 good strips down the street:D

Drill and tap the gov and install a setscrew w/ loctite to hold it in place.

paul

does anyone have information regarding the set screws effect on governor upshift oil pressure rate changes when introducing additional weight to the secondary side of the governor?

Def lowers the shift point some. Works great on a stock type set up where the car stops pulling at 4500rpm. Drops the shift so the car keeps accelerating instead of hangin out waiting for the shift.

thats what i found when experimenting.i have a confession to make though.every trans we test in the car must shift at 5000 to 5200 rpms with a gn or ss vbody or we dont ship them.ive ran across a few that just quit at 4600 or so and i dont modify the governor on them because in these rare cases (1 out of 20)the tv must be overadjusted to get it to shift at 4600.they usually go to 5200 ice cold and then just dont do it again.i tried changing plates and governors and it dont make a difference.only the valve body. i suspect a cross leak that brings oil pressure into the tv upshift circuit and dont have time to research now so we just toss them out,no bull. and use another.the next 20 will be dead on at 5000 to 5200 and then................that the reason for in car testing..am i crazy or do you guys think that 4600 is acceptable for stock motored ship out?we dont and just wont ship them.id like to get some feedback.

Originally posted by 1of1035
weel i drove it again and none of the gears were shifting right. Ended up the spring in governor fell out and got caught up. I put in a new governor and spring now the great shifts great.

Chris I had Ivan at Tranny Tech do the work.

Just curious, who put the spring back?

I had Jeff do it. I work a block over from him at Lou Bachrodt chevy and I didn't have any lifts open for my own car nor did I have the time.

Jeff also tells me your selling that 66 that you bought from him. If so how much

I'll run the biggest I can afford on the street:D I was running a 45a but sold that to Jeff and wish I hadn't. I'm going to end up with a GT67 or a Q-trim 70. Then the converter is going out for a restall.

Originally posted by 1of1035
I'll run the biggest I can afford on the street:D I was running a 45a but sold that to Jeff and wish I hadn't. I'm going to end up with a GT67 or a Q-trim 70. Then the converter is going out for a restall.

For my street car, I wouldn't take a big turbo, big injectors and high stall converter even if they were free.

I hate feeling like an ass waiting for the turbo to spool while the other car I am up against is already at home having dinner...

...but if you could hook up some NOS to come on early to get the boost up and then shut off every it does its job, like Freddy does, that may be a different story...

Originally posted by jsta6
For my street car, I wouldn't take a big turbo, big injectors and high stall converter even if they were free.

I hate feeling like an ass waiting for the turbo to spool while the other car I am up against is already at home having dinner...

...but if you could hook up some NOS to come on early to get the boost up and then shut off every it does its job, like Freddy does, that may be a different story...

justa6

where can I get info on the NOS install for boost up only. I think this might be a good idea for running a tighter convertor to give me more MPH

Thanks for your help