Just got my car out of the shop and i got some questions......

Car had been running bad, they found a vaccum leak and fixed it, the car now runs better, but they also told me my oil pressure is low and more than likely I'm gonna need a rebuild. He mentioned the possiblity of changing the oil pump, however he was unsure if that would fix the issue and he suggested i look into a rebuild.
Has anybody changed the oil pump on one of these cars and it fixed a low oil pressure issue? Is there any oil additive or lubricant I can use in the mean time to help boost the low pressure? Also who would you guys recommend for a engine rebuild in the Detroit area. Thanks in advance.
Car has 140k on it stock 86 gn

What was the oil pressure that was observed? Was the shop that worked on your car accustomed to working on turbo buicks? These cars are somewhat notorious for lower oil pressure. It may not be an issue, depending. Post your results and hopefully others will chime in.

What is your pressure? If it was a shop that doesnt specialize in these cars, they might think the normal pressure for them is low. With 140k on an unopened engine, I would expect to see around 10 psi at idle and +10 psi for every 1,000 rpm.

When my engine had about 160k oil pressure was around 6-7 psi at hot idle, pretty low. When i did the timing chain I added a booster plate to the oil pump (kept the stock gears) and now my pressure is 15-16 hot idle and 75 psi at cold startup. If anything, I would just add a booster plate (some call the thrust plates). It adds a new surface for the gears to ride on and will help with the oil psi.

First thing is to verify your pressure with a good gauge and make sure you really have a problem before opening anything up.

Have someone put a mechanical guage on it to verify what the oil pressure is when the engine is hot at idle and when on the highway. Report back with the results:)

They told me it dipped as low as 3. What's the best way to check it? at a warm idle? I can go check now if you want me to?

edit: Ok 87gninpa I see you posted the recommend psi is 10 at idle i'm gonna go check now....

Ok guys i checked it.........the oil pressure is 10 psi at idle............ it raises about 10 psi per 1k rpms.......

There are no "stock gauges" under the radio,those are aftermarket add-ons.
If they are going by the reading on the gauge,it could be way off,depending on the brand,or if it is mechanical or electric with a sending unit.

There are no "stock gauges" under the radio,those are aftermarket add-ons.
If they are going by the reading on the gauge,it could be way off,depending on the brand,or if it is mechanical or electric with a sending unit.

Its the grey after market guages that is oil and temp and it sits below the radio

Nick Micale said:
Get that crap out and put in some Valvoline Racing VR-1 oil and a quality filter like a Wix, and your oil pressure will be normal. :)

If you are not in freezing temperatures, I would use 20W-50 with that mileage on the engine.

Street legal vr1 or illegal street? :)

My preference in a 160K mile engine would be 30W "illegal street" as it contains less detergent and more ZDDP.