Just curious about the backspacing

USA_muscle

What is the max back spacing you can run on a stock brake/suspension setup without rubbing? Trying to find a set of 17' rims (either 8" or 9" width for the front and 9" or 10" for the rear). Are there variations from car to car (due to manufacturing tolerences)? Some say "10" wheels rubbed on mine" while someone else had no problem. I looked through a few threads and most cars I saw with greater than or equal to 5" either had spacers or different brakes (LS1 swap for example; I have the stock brakes...for now). Thanks for any help.

subscribed.

I've seen several go with 17x9.5 rear with 4 3/4" bs. Also some with 5" bs + spacers. Been looking for wheels all over. I've resolved myself to either find some that are already on a car to buy, or find someone who'll let me know exactly what they have. I'm also looking for 17's, but would consider 18's - nothing bigger.

Well I finally stepped up and bought wheels. I bought 17x9.5 5 in backspace figuerd I could shim away from the frame if necessary. WELL.......... THEY FIT They are a little tight to the frame and I have not driven the car yet. Everything clears I have about 3/16th between the tire(315/35-17) and frame. Hope this helps. Buick Fat Tire 1.jpgFat tire Buick 2.jpgFat Tire Buick1.jpg

I've been looking at these pix from this post and the other one u posted in , I think ur tires are on the wrong side..u want to push water out from the center to the outside...the way they are on the car it would do the opposite.maybe u know this already jus something thats been bothering me...lol...not to be a dick.....the car looks sick BTW

LOL Its funny after I looked at the picks I noticed the tires and figured somebody would say something. Yea I was just dieing to put them on the car to check clearance and see what they look like. They won't be on the car permamantly till spring. Yes the lip is rolled has been for years( back when I had 265's) LOL I think there is enought clearance without rolling the lip but not sure just yet as I have not driven it with these tires also my car sits very low(springs are shot) Im going tobe rebuilding the rear suspention then will puts tires and all on in the spring.

LOL Its funny after I looked at the picks I noticed the tires and figured somebody would say something. Yea I was just dieing to put them on the car to check clearance and see what they look like. They won't be on the car permamantly till spring. Yes the lip is rolled has been for years( back when I had 265's) LOL I think there is enought clearance without rolling the lip but not sure just yet as I have not driven it with these tires also my car sits very low(springs are shot) Im going tobe rebuilding the rear suspention then will puts tires and all on in the spring.
How did you roll the lip in? Im looking to do this to mine to clear a 28 10.5 Slick on 10" Wide wheel I know they fit I just have to roll the wheel well lip and am not sure on how to go about it without purchasing the $400 tool from Eastwood tools :(

I will sell you my $400 tool......LOL Get yourself a wood baseball bat raise the car up enough to get the bat in then let the car down on it roll back and forth till your happy. If you need a little more have a buddy sit in the trunk for added weight. One Rolled lip.

What is the max back spacing you can run on a stock brake/suspension setup without rubbing? Trying to find a set of 17' rims (either 8" or 9" width for the front and 9" or 10" for the rear). Are there variations from car to car (due to manufacturing tolerences)? Some say "10" wheels rubbed on mine" while someone else had no problem. I looked through a few threads and most cars I saw with greater than or equal to 5" either had spacers or different brakes (LS1 swap for example; I have the stock brakes...for now). Thanks for any help.

Although some are running larger widths, this setup will fit with no rubbing issues to be concerned with at all (no rolling fender lips in the rear, no rubbing in the front, and no spacers required):

Front: 17x8 with 4.5 inch backspacing, with a 235 or 245 tire on it
Rear: 17x9.5 with 4.75 backspacing, with a 275 or 285 tire on it

This combo will fit fine with no issues at all.

Rob

subscribing as well.

I will be in the hunt for some bigger meats out back. Anything from a 275/60/15 MT DR

Thanks for the info folks. I have found a set of rims I like. for the front I am going with 17x8 and 4.5'bs and a 245/40 tire. On the rear a 17x9 with 5"bs and a 275/40. Front should be golden. Hoping the rears are good without spacers or rolling. Thoughts??