Just bought my first GN (87)

davef

Still Learning
I have always loved these cars!! Mine is a 100% stock 87 GN. I want to go out to the track to see what she can do. Any advise before I go?

Go to www.gnttype.org and search "Spring Cleaning" You can probably do a search and find it here too. Then make sure you get a scantool like a scanmaster @ Full Throttle Speed Tech Support - Powered by vBulletin so you can monitor knock retard etc. Post your location.. someone local and knowledgeable can be a tremendous asset.

Here is another great site:

Vortex Turbo Buick Performance

Read and read again. Get the basics out of the way before you just start racing the car.

This page is a very good starting place:

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/tuning.htm#Before Modifications

I have been monitoring this forum for months. Probably why I was so stoked about finally making the plunge. Thanks for the advice.

if its completely stock, dont put race fuel in it when you get to the track. youll only slow it down. start with a scanmaster. are you planning upgrades? what state are you in? do you have pics? oh yeah and welcome aboard:biggrin:

Great ideas!! Apparently you can't own one of these beasts without a Scanmaster :). I am in Maryland (close to the Mason Dixon Dragway). I would love to put on some upgrades soon (Bigger injectors, matching chip, electric cut-outs, remove the cat, etc). Right now, it seems like a good idea for me to get a better feel for the car and what she really likes. Primarily, since I am not a fan of idiot lights, I need to add some gauges. Just need to figure out what to hook them to. Especially the fuel pressure, oil pressure and temp gauges. Any help on these fronts would be great. Thanks guys.

when starting from stock like you'll be doing you will be amazed at how receptive your car is going to be to the right modifications. And the knowledge on this board invaluable. Do the spring cleaning and tune up. Then get to it! Hotwired fuel pump adj. Regulator, chip and injectors, fuel pressure gauge and you're off :biggrin: keep us posted

I love this place!!! Spring cleanig is slated for this weekend (weather permitting). I am a little hesitant to mess with the transmission (that is an expensive screw up). I haven't messed with cars since everything went EFI. May take a bit for my confidence level to get back to where it was.

Maybe a dumb question, but how do you change the fuel pump? Everything that I have read tells me that it is in the tank. Did I miss something?

The fuel pump is in the tank and its a one person Job. I do mine with a jack and a block of wood. Its a simple plug and play. And when you order it make sure to get the hotwire kit.

I have put the cart before the horse in someof my upgrades and wish I put the scanmaster in first . I dont like that I have to put it on my dash but I have learned that it is a very important tool;

Id be curious what kind of times you do as a stocker.

Mine is mostly stock also with the exception of a K&N air filter, 30 lb injectors, TT chip
and to be honest I was pretty disappointed in the cars performance.
Its not slow, but at least mine anyway is not nearly as fast as its reputation would lead you to believe.
Now with that said, Im not sure what boost levels it is running and a real gauge is next on my list, so that could be part of its lack of performance.

Im guessin mid to low 14's.
Let me know

Steve

What everyone is saying here is true. I am still new here and all the help I have received (and still am) has been amazing. Wonderful car-lovin' folk. Out of the few things I have done so far... cleaning the MAF sensor was the most important. Mine was stock as well two months ago and I noticed a big improvement right away after spraying that. (It also saved me $350! Welcome aboard!

Id be curious what kind of times you do as a stocker.

Mine is mostly stock also with the exception of a K&N air filter, 30 lb injectors, TT chip
and to be honest I was pretty disappointed in the cars performance.
Its not slow, but at least mine anyway is not nearly as fast as its reputation would lead you to believe.
Now with that said, Im not sure what boost levels it is running and a real gauge is next on my list, so that could be part of its lack of performance.

Im guessin mid to low 14's.
Let me know

Steve

what did you run blipmode? besides not having a boost gauge do you have atleast a gague on the fuel rail? do you still have your cat? a scanmaster?

No I dont take the car to the track.
I was speaking in general about the performance.

I thought I read somewhere in stock trim when new they were running somewhere in the
low 14's.

Mine has the cat removed, a fuel rail gauge on it and I do have a scanmaster.

Theres a member near me who knows way more about these cars
and how to tune etc that I need to have him help me.
Could be that its not setup correctly also.
Dont get me wrong.
It certainly isnt a dog !
Steve

Welcome to the club and congratulations!

IMO, I would do a compression test and then get a boost gauge first. Make sure the engine is sound before installing parts on it. And the scanmaster is also a must.

That's my 2 cents.

Welcome to the board & congrats on the new GN! :cool:

As others have already mentioned... Scanmaster is a BIG must. It gets watched as much as the road does in my car.

Other mods I have found beneficial are listed in my sig. And of course, like any other addiction, more mods will always be on the way. But that's part of what makes these cars so much fun! :D

I also bought a GN, in my case, over the holidays. I second that this site is awesome and the people are not only knowledgeable, but very friendly in conveying info. My 87 GN is not stock, but nicely upgraded by a car-loving and passionate former owner. Includes a fuel pump, fuel pump hot wire, K&N Intake, rebuilt/set up tranny & a Caspar thumbwheel chip. I guess it is the chip and learning the best way to use and maintain that I have focused on. I need to get a scanmaster, although I do have the program on a laptop.

I thought about just geeting the software and installing it on a laptop. But, there seems to be a big differnce in versions between the scanmaster itself and the software.