John Deer or Cub Cadet?

ZOOM ZOOM

I need a new lawn tractor for my new vacation house. I was going to let the grass go natural except for an acre around the house and down the driveway.
Both brands are priced comparatively at H.D.

I have a 42 inch house brand (forget the name) with a Briggs and Stratton engine that is 15 years old that is held together with coat hangers and duct tape at the regular house. Still runs like a champ though. This type runs cheaper than the name brands. Is an extra $500 worth the name?

I have a LA120 John Deere, bought it from the local JD and yes, I know it is a China made one but didn't have the budget for a "real" Deere. I am on my 4th season with it and other than the battery going, have not had ANY issues. I only have a 1/2 acre lot.

Go on craigslist and buy a OLDER mower. The new one's from about the year 1995 to present are junk. Flimsy decks, crappy transmissions..... you get the idea. A older Simplicity or snapper might be your best bet.

Considering u will probably have it for 20+ years I would spend the extra $500. That's like $25 a year extra. Basically, half a tank of gas. U get what u pay for.

If it has a kawasaki stay away. Get something with a Kohler or Briggs.

My JD is 2 years old with zero issues. It is the entry level zero turning. It was $2800.00. 42' cut, 18 HP and no kawasaki motor. I like it very much.

I'm not sure which engine they use in any of these brands. I do see Kohler and Kawasaki in most of the top level commercial mowers.

A friend runs 2 of the Gravely brand commercial mowers for his lawn cutting business, Both have Kawasaki engines with over 1600 hrs on both mowers.

I need a new lawn tractor for my new vacation house. I was going to let the grass go natural except for an acre around the house and down the driveway.
Both brands are priced comparatively at H.D.

I have a 42 inch house brand (forget the name) with a Briggs and Stratton engine that is 15 years old that is held together with coat hangers and duct tape at the regular house. Still runs like a champ though. This type runs cheaper than the name brands. Is an extra $500 worth the name?

I posted this before.My brother bought a jd from hd and had problems with it so he brought to a jd dealer for repairs and the guy say they didnt fix them.My brother was pissed. He ended up trading it in at the jd dealer.They took what he payed for it off a new real jd.I think it was either $2600 or $3800 with the trade.I would watch craigslist for a used one and save the cash . good luck

I think any of the ones at HD will be fine. If you plan on doing other things with it or if the terrain is somewhat ruff you might want to be a more expensive tractor.

My dad has a Craftsman that he has had for a long time (15+ years) and mows about an acre of nice manicured lawn. It still has no issues with it. I believe it is made by MTD, which makes most of the cheaper tractors out there. I believe they make the JD that is at Home Depot. They definitely make the Cub Cadet. I guess I would just look at them and find the best one for the money. I would look for zerk fittings on the front end, deck and any other rotating point. I'm sure not all the models are the same when it comes to things like that.

As for engines, I believe you will get to choose between B&S and a Kohler. The Kawaski's are in the commercial lines and the real JD's (300 series and up), so I don't think this will be an option at Home Depot.

I got a Kubota BX series, which I would recommend, but you don't need if your just mowing your lawn. It would last forever thats for sure. Kubota also makes lawn mowers, but your going to pay a bunch more for them as well.

Chris

IMG_5862.jpg

Cant do this with a JD or a Cub! Get a Simplicity if you want the best cut. I bought mine for right @ 3k. All the new "cheaper" tractors are pretty much flimsey junk, mine included, but their inexpensive. The Simplicity has the best deck in my opinion. My previous JD was 10 times the tractor, but I dont use the Simplity for anything but mowing. I love the stripes!

Go on craigslist and buy a OLDER mower. The new one's from about the year 1995 to present are junk. Flimsy decks, crappy transmissions..... you get the idea. A older Simplicity or snapper might be your best bet.

You two are on crack:rolleyes: Better stick to computers Minga..

Basically any mower under about 2k comes out of the same plant..... same mower....

But Green Paint alwasy does help re-sale, at least in Agriculture Markets:cool:

JD does make their own mowers above the $2500 price, and yes they are better built and can do those fancy stripes in the lawn:biggrin:

Hell they even make a mower with a cab that can mow in the rain, our high school has one.

But what do I know I sell these....

9870combine.jpg

Cun Cadet

I have a Cub Cadet with a 26hp Kohler. I have had it 3 years and have not had any problems. I mow 2 acres every week from April to Nov. Love it. I bought it from HD. It was a reconditoned due to scratches on the hood but the price was right. $1599.00. The Kohler is the way to go unless you have some serious cutting to do and then a small tractor would be better.

Thanks for all the input. I am not much for buying used stuff other than old boxy looking Buicks. I did notice the ones at HD , both JD and CC brands were now made of flimsy plastic. The JD does make some expensive ones on the web site sold thru dealerships rather than big box stores but is more heavy duty than what I need and expensive than I want to spend.

You two are on crack:rolleyes: Better stick to computers Minga..

Basically any mower under about 2k comes out of the same plant..... same mower....

But Green Paint alwasy does help re-sale, at least in Agriculture Markets:cool:

JD does make their own mowers above the $2500 price, and yes they are better built and can do those fancy stripes in the lawn:biggrin:

Hell they even make a mower with a cab that can mow in the rain, our high school has one.

But what do I know I sell these....

9870combine.jpg

What size deck is in that pic:biggrin: I want one of those in Red please:eek:

We're just getting started in wheat season here. A good friend just traded an older combine for a 2 year old JD(not sure which size) and picked up a 40ft draper for it. He's getting it set today. I haven't checked it out yet.

I'm not sure which engine they use in any of these brands. I do see Kohler and Kawasaki in most of the top level commercial mowers.

A friend runs 2 of the Gravely brand commercial mowers for his lawn cutting business, Both have Kawasaki engines with over 1600 hrs on both mowers.

Maybe it's just me but the Kawa in my JD mower is a nightmare. Constant problems with the governor and trash in the carb Maybe I've fixed it this time by replacing the Governor vacuum source with a piece of FI rated Gas hose but we'll see.

I've got my eye on a Kubota ZD331 to replace it.

What size deck is in that pic:biggrin: I want one of those in Red please:eek:

We're just getting started in wheat season here. A good friend just traded an older combine for a 2 year old JD(not sure which size) and picked up a 40ft draper for it. He's getting it set today. I haven't checked it out yet.

I new you were coming with that Red ****:p:biggrin::eek::biggrin:

I posted this before.My brother bought a jd from hd and had problems with it so he brought to a jd dealer for repairs and the guy say they didnt fix them.My brother was pissed. He ended up trading it in at the jd dealer.They took what he payed for it off a new real jd.I think it was either $2600 or $3800 with the trade.I would watch craigslist for a used one and save the cash . good luck

That's weird, I bought mine from a JD dealer mainly because I didn't feel like getting one that 800 people climbed on and no hassle with delivery. My local JD which is about 2 miles from my house assembles and supplies them to the local Lowes, not sure about HD.

Combines sure are fancier than the ones my grandfather (RIP) ran back in the 60's in North Dakota! Remember many a summer out there getting covered in wheat dust on his combine, no fancy ass air conditioned cabs. And yes, his was a JD.:biggrin: