Jet Sizes - NOS (05301) N20 kit?

Kibster

I recently purchased a used NOS Nitrous Kit (P/N 05301) for my 87 GN. The kit looks complete, but has seen some use - which is no surprise:)

Before installing - I wanted to confirm the NOS & Fuel Jet sizes to ensure that I'm in the ball park. The NOS jet is a 046 and the Fuel Jet is 042. Are these the correct sizes as NOS shipped w/the kit?

After reviewing several NOS/Fuel Jet to HP "Guides" (charts) for EFI - I couldn't find this combination.

Just want a safe place to start...Thanks.

The original kit came with three jets. #42, #46, & #52. for two different combinations. #46 NOS and #42 fuel was good for an aprox 60 horse increase. #46 fuel and #52 NOS was good for 120 extra horses. Don't forget that nitrous requires timing retard to work effectively. Do not use a high timing chip with NOS. Your car must be in perfect tune to use nitrous effectively. I believe that nitrous has gotten a bad name in the Buick camp mostly because people have tried to use it on imperfect tune ups with disasterous results. I have had an original NOS setup on my 86 GN since 1988 and have never broken anything. Follow the rules and have fun.
Larry

Thanks for your reply. With the 42 & 46 the only jets I have on hand (60HP), I won't fall prey to temptation (120HP) too soon!

Any suggestions for chips? I have a the stock chip, a 92 Octane Thrasher and a "mystery" chip (Phaze One - which nobody seems to have seen before) that came with the car. The car seems to like the "mystery" chip better than the Thrasher for some reason. Obviously the "mystery" chip is a bad choice, being an unknown quantity, is the Thrasher safe to start with?

Thanks again...

A guy I worked with years ago burned me a chip for my setup, which I use to this day if I'm in "nitrous mode". I would guess that the Thrasher add's timing And I certainly wouldn't use the mystery chip. The stock chip is probably your best bet for the 60 horse jets. (anyone else have a comment on this?) If and when you decide to go with a bigger shot, any of the reputable chip burners on this board can probably burn you a chip. I think, if I remember correctly, my chip is retarded 3 degrees from stock timing, but I could be wrong, it's been a looong time.
By the way, my best time with the big jets was 11.75 @ 117mph.
Larry

Thanks for the tips on chips...

I'm working on getting all the typical "12 second" recipe mods in place prior to installing the NOS kit. I'm awaiting a set of blue top injectors, fuel pump hot wire kit (upgraded pump and adjustable regulator are in place) and my big neck intercooler.

With the retarded timing issue, is it possible to " have your cake and eat it too"? Can a low t timing (safe for the N20) still give decent performance on the motor?

While I have no problem swapping chips, I'd hate to make a mistake by spraying it with the wrong chip in place. Then again, I don't want a lazy car that only runs well on spray.

Is there a happy compromise?

I'd love to have a car that can run a high 12 on 93 octane (no spray) on a hot day and run low 12's anytime on the bottle.

Well with a small shot like that you're only talking a timing difference of a few degrees, which is pretty small. But in general, as you burn more fuel you have to retard timing, whether that extra fuel comes from adding nitrous, adding boost, whatever. Violate that simple rule at your own peril :) Whether or not yours will live depends on how close to the edge the timing and all is for your combo to begin with. If it's timed conservative to begin with for your combo then it could tolerate more increase before the lid comes off. If it's timed aggressively to begin with, well the lid is just more likely to come off of course :) Assuming your a/f ratio is right, you run race gas, etc. If you prefer to play only with pump gas, well good luck then ;)

JMO. YMMV.

TurboTR

It is my intention to be on the side of conservative - all things in moderation I guess.

As for playing with "race gas" vs. "pump gas" - I recognize the additional safety factor the increase in octane provides. I guess it comes down to what I'd call "race trim" (race gas, higher boost settings, etc.) vs. "street trim" (pump gas, reasonable boost, etc). I've run the car w/18-20# of boost w/race gas - no problems (other than the price of CAM2). But burning that expensive gas on the way to the track and back (this car is really mostly a driver) hurts.

Basically, I desire/want/wish for, a car that can run the numbers previously posted, anytime, anywhere, under most conditions. The N20 is just a bonus, kind of a "open in case of emergency" types of deal (be that a 5.0 mustang, Z06, or if I'm having a bad day...).

Thanks for the guidance..