Jay Carter Alky Kit

I don't see how you could increase pump speed other than increasing voltage. I believe the SMC kit varies pump speed by varying ground; i.e. full pump speed is at setting 10 or full voltage, lesser settings is slower pump speed.

Mike

The pump is at "10" all the time if you will. It is already between 60 and 90 psi, there is no need for more pressure than that.

I would not increase the voltage, as anything more than 13-14 volts may shorten the life of the pump

I was wondering because I have my car set at 16psi with this kit and I'm still getting 2-4 degrees of knock retard. I have the kit turning on at 12psi. I was hoping that maybe I could increase boost if the pump could be turned up.

Sounds like it is not coming on at all. You should use a mighty vac to see if it is turning on at the right boost level. Or you could rig a light to come on on the dash so you know the pump is turning on. My pressure switch was bad on my kit, so I am using a NOS pressure switch

I just replaced the pressure switch. I got another switch from OGS. My first switch didn't seem to work either. I know its spraying because the alky level in the tank is going down.

Where did you get your Nos switch from? Is it a similar set up to Jay Carter pressure switch?

Let me know....

Not to doubt you since Im not there to work on it but in the 8 or so years I have been using those pressure switches, I have never had a defective one. They are truly the best quality pressure switch I have ever run across. If you think you have a defective one, email me for my address, Id like to see it.

You can verify it easy enough. Run the pressure adjustment screw all the way out and you can blow into the switch and engage it.

What chip are you using? at 16# it would only knock if you were using a higher timing chip. You should turn off the alcohol system and get it tuned for no knock at 15-16psi. Then run it with some race gas at high boost to make sure the knock is not false and that the ignition system is working properly. No reason to run alcohol at 16psi

Originally posted by JayC
Not to doubt you since Im not there to work on it but in the 8 or so years I have been using those pressure switches, I have never had a defective one. They are truly the best quality pressure switch I have ever run across. If you think you have a defective one, email me for my address, Id like to see it.

Jay what happened to my switch was it was very inconsistent, like it was sticking. The alcohol would come on at 6psi one time and then 15psi the next. The NOS switch is the one Steve Monroe showed me and it has worked well, but it is kind of ugly.
Turbotrader6 and I both purchased the last kits OGS sold for you and I think we just got a bad batch or something. Everything else worked fine

I'm running a Red Armstrong 93 chip. The kit seems like at times its not spraying, then all of a sudden its spraying. I guess I have to hook up a light like you had suggested to see when its activating.

Black Buick 87 do you have a part # for this Nos pressure switch?

Part #15680, about $35

I have an RA93 and get less than 1 degree of knock at 16psi, so either it is not working at all or its flooding your car with a ton of alcohol. I doubt it is working at all.

Get a Mighty Vac. Makes setting switches SOOOOOOO much easier:)

BlackBuick87,

I know it has to be spraying at some point... The alky level in the tank is going down. Maybe I have it turning on to soon and flooding the car out.

I'm curious how do you set your switch with the mighty vac? Also did you rig up a light to let you know when the unit is spraying? If so how did you do it?

Thanks, your help is appreciated.

Bill

I just spliced a wire off of the relay that is hot when the pressure switch comes on. Then run the wire to inside the car and ground it under the dash somewhere. A turn on light is essential to tuning, I dont know how you determine the turn on point without one.

I have a mighty vac with a gauge mounted on it, it goes to about 15psi. Just switch it to pressure mode and hook it to the vacuum line going to the switch. pump up to whatever pressure you want and then turn the set screw until the pump turns on