jack merkel engines

laymond thomas

thinking about getting steel caps or a girdle or both i want some security when i really turn up the boost:D any body use his engines.mylast1

I have a Mekel built motor.I only have about 350 miles on it and no complaints.Looks pretty too when Paul and the crew do their prep work before the drop-in.Excellent work by both Jack's crew and Paul's crew....:)

merkel engines

boy!!,thats a nice combo almost like mine let me know what kind of times you get ,also are you waiting to put some miles on it before you put some boost on it.mylast1.:D :eek:

Originally posted by victa1
4600 miles on my Merkel engine. So far, so good.
Something I’ve been wanting to know. I hear a lot of people running his engines but never hear any times? Is anyone running 10’s with a 109 block built by Merkel, just curious? Mid to high 11’s isn’t really a trick anymore since the production built GM motor with a few bolt-on’s can do it pretty reliably if you’re careful. Seems the new bar to achieve with a 109 block is 10s’. More and more people are running in the 10’s with a stock block, it’s pretty amazing when you think about it. I know Rich Rezes has been running in the 10’s with his 109 block for years now with only steel caps. I know Billy T had a monster of a 109 motor built by Jack Merkel but I don’t think it’s broken in yet so don’t think he’s got any times. From what I understand lots of people have bought crate motors from them as well as had them installed but I’m curious if anyone has really run them hard? I brought my motor all the way up to CT because my usual contact in sunny Camden, NJ was backed up and RPE was the only other place I knew that had the proven experience. Just curious.

Jack just finished up my engine i should be getting the car back this coming week so im hoping for good results and some nice deep 11's.....

Originally posted by 1985GN
Jack just finished up my engine i should be getting the car back this coming week so im hoping for good results and some nice deep 11's.....

>>> Keep us posted on some times once she is broken in.

Just picked up My heads from him.

I don't have an engine built by him, but when the time comes he will be getting my buisness. I recently had him do the head work for me. I also purchased my cam and other supporting hardware from him. Great guy to deal with. Both times I was there, he took the time to sit down and talk with me about what I wanted to do and how I was going to do it. And offered lots of tips on different parts combos and some pro's and cons. About 2 weeks ago when I was in there he had LC2 on the stand ready to go, he was only waiting for a set of shorter pushrods to finish it up, Anyone here own that one?

"Something I’ve been wanting to know. I hear a lot of people running his engines but never hear any times? Is anyone running 10’s".............

I have never been to the track, even before the new engine. Hell, I never had my car in "race trim" with high boost, timing ect. From the info on this board and what some non partial people have told me, I have the goods to turn a mid-high 11 (TA60,V4,ported stock heads, 55lb injectors...). I like my car so much on 20psi and a Testa street chip that another 80 hp or so is something to look forward to. A lot of people on this board might think me nutty, but I really don't care about a 1/4 mile et or 60ft. time. I just like the fact that my dirty old Regal can blow off 99% of the cars out there.

Re: ELSIE DEUCE = 3.8 Turbo ('86-'87)

Originally posted by Two Lane
LC2 is the Buick Motor Division nomenclature for the 3.8 Turbo motor. :)

>>>> Duhhhh me bad......you'd think being around these cars for 16 years I woulda known that.....then again at 1:30AM I aint to with it........lol.

Thanks for the info Jim.

Take care.

Originally posted by Buicksx2
>>> Keep us posted on some times once she is broken in.

Sounds good he told me to break it in for about 1000 miles or so before i start upping the boost and getting on it. im in no rush to break it anyway,lol. once its broken in im gonna run the car on 20psi to see what it goes then get alky tune that in and go on 25psi and see again. i cnat wait and yes Jack is a great guy to deal with i was up there a couple times hanging out and he showed me everything they do. ill let you guys know what it runs once it ready for an all out boogie:D

I plan on dipping into the 10s on my 109 block as soon as I get my 55's.

Rich,
Are you going to bowling green?

John

I have my combo, courtesy of Merkel Performance Engines and Ron's Custom Autos, ready for some low 11's or high 10 second 1\4 mile runs. This engine has about 11000 miles on it. The car is a daily driver, 40 miles one way to work, every day rain or SNOW. I figure with a set of (real) slicks, boost set to 25-29lbs and some 100 octane with the SMC alky system set just right I might get by a high 10 second pass. I'll let you know once I get it to the track. In street trim, RA100 chip. nittos and alky with 93 octane at 17-20 lbs of boost she runs like a beast. The overall performance seems to have come together ever since I put in the RA100 chip. Before that I was suffering a bit of turbo lag. I was and still am thinking of getting my TC restalled to 3200\3500. Sorry about the long post. :cool:

Originally posted by Wht87T

Rich,
Are you going to bowling green?

John

>>>> LOL...........No the Richs Auto crew aren't too welcomed in bowling green by a select few administrators, besides none of us are members so even if we planned on going we can't race our cars so whats the point.

Are you going John?

Re: merkel engines

Originally posted by laymond thomas
boy!!,thats a nice combo almost like mine let me know what kind of times you get ,also are you waiting to put some miles on it before you put some boost on it.mylast1.:D :eek:

Yes.I was told to put some easy miles on the motor before I let her rip @ the track.

I have always put at least 500 miles on a new motor before hitting the track, I've been told the rings should have seated by then, again thats what I've been told...not a motor guy here.

After the cam is broken in, a few blasts down the track will seat the rings.

>>>> LOL...........No the Richs Auto crew aren't too welcomed in bowling green by a select few administrators, besides none of us are members so even if we planned on going we can't race our cars so whats the point.
Rich,

I Can't Go Bossum??
Just Picture this, Rich, Artie, Jim T, Jim R,Tommy X, T Rex, & JOE H in a winnabago going to BG..... Playing Elvis & lEd zepplin .....
Oh the humanity...........

Re: Re: ELSIE DEUCE = 3.8 Turbo ('86-'87)

Originally posted by Buicksx2
>>>> Duhhhh me bad......you'd think being around these cars for 16 years I woulda known that.....then again at 1:30AM I aint to with it........lol.

Thanks for the info Jim.

Take care.
Rich, who responded to you. I was all prepared to develop a surly response to you then realized someone responded to you and beat me to the punch.