Its In ! Tv pressure questions

olds403

Just installed a rebuilt 200r4 with a Rebuilt kit and Ck front pump. What concerns me is the low TV pressure at idle. I did connect a pressure gauge and pressures are below,

Park 65 no tv and 265 full tv
Reverse 120 no tv and 265 full tv
Drive is the same as park.
Od is the same as park.

Full tv is with me pulling on the tv disconnected. Should I tighten the TV a click or two ?
The trans was built by me with parts from many vendors on this site.

The Tv is connected to a Qjet carb if that matters, but its a 1984 with the correct factory linkage.
Before I road test I would like to confirm ! Thanks

I'm thinking if the line pressure rises(and it looks like it does), I'd take it for a spin.

Opps 1000rpms it is. 65 is low for a modded CK pump but 265 isn't bad. Lonnie has a chart also search will bring it up.

I looked up the pressures too in the ATSG book and I am within the ranges, but I was thinking with the CK pump and CK shift kit (new TV spring) it should closer to 90 psi. The pump is CK's pump and did not rebuild the stock one. I bought it outright. I would have liked it closer to 90 myself, but Full TV comes on fast and steady at 265 with a tug.

Just nervous as heck since I've been working on this trans since July 2013 and paycheck after paycheck is in this trans as I had to buy it a part at a time. The trans has a CR3 valve body which responds very well to TV cable pulls I may add. It will jump up with RPM and when I tug on it manually, but not sure how to set the TV's a click or so. The trans goes into all gears just fine, just have not had it on the road yet.

I think I will just relax as its been a busy day as I had a leak at the servo which meant the exhaust had to come off...UGH. Put on a new oring as its all fixed now, but my back is done for the day with fighting the exhaust back into the car. I'll never make that mistake again. Next time I will fill it before install to check for leaks. Lost a full day with this leak. By the way, the harbor freight trans jack is well worth the price. Could not imagine doing this without that jack. Best $50 bucks I ever spent. Also, the 6 ton Hein Werner jack stands are perfect for this work as well. I don't have a shop, just a normal house garage.

I think I will just readjust the TV some other day then take it for a drive next weekend as we are supposed to get sleet/snow again this coming week so today was the only day I had with good weather.

thanks for the tips. Keep them coming and if there is something else to check let me know.

Sounds like you are doing great! Glad to see you are making progress. I hope the test drive works well.

I dont think that at idle or 1000 rpm the pressure is bad. No sense in wearing out the pump when you aren't needing the pressure. When you need it at full tv, it looks like to me it jumps up to where you need it to apply the clutches. I think you are on the right track.

The RPM is idle which on this car is 750 rpm in drive or 1000 in park. I was not paying that much attention to the RPM actually as I just looking all around for leaks and any noises, but all went well. I guess next weekend, I will take note of the RPM and pressures. Looking at what Lonnie posted I would say I am at minimum, but who knows as I need to take it to 1500 and post. Maybe, I have it, but just did not do the test at 1500 that is for sure.

It seems to have all gears on the stands, but just ran through park to low quickly as did not want to get crazy with the car on jack stands. Mind you I have 8 jack stands under this car and two floor jacks, plus my trans jack.

If you want piece of mind call CK as it is his pump. Pressure maybe that way on purpose.

Looks good to me. Main thing is quick line rise off idle and max pressure. I use more springs have higher no tv pressure. If you start to pull cable and line jumps to 150ish your all good.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app