• $9,000 to $9,999

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • $8,000 to $8,999

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • Less than $8,000

Votes: 58 73.4%

• Total voters

Original_Owner

It kills me that my high mileage 1987 Buick Turbo T with Chrome Package appears to value less than a 2006 Nissan Sentra or a 2005 Saturn Ion out here in Los Angeles.

Because I am somewhat under the gun to sell the car and return to my wife, I would like to ask the members help by polling your opinion of the true value of my car.

A description of the car with low quality pictures is located at:

Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com

If possible, please indicate your rationale for the value (E-bay, AutoTrader, local sales, etc.)

Thanks to everyone for your help.

I would guess it's worth around $7K to the right buyer. To you comment on the Sentra, the Sentra is a daily driver, this car probably wouldn't be. Most people that would buy it are doing so to have a fun, weekend car. People looking for DD's don't want 22 year old buicks with 200K on them. You might get more than $7K if you wait it out. But, people aren't buying extra vehicles right now so it might take some time to get a fair price for it.

Plus, Grand National's are more wanted that the T's in my opinion.

Yep the market is BAD....

Everything but low mile unmodified collector TR cars are not selling with a few exceptions. REbuilt and restored cars are worth more than a high mile car w/unopened drivetrain if you have receipts ....maybe. It may also take a special person to reachout for black/chrome pkg. 87. You can get your money but it may take a long time as a opposed to times maybe a year + ago when just about any TR would sell.

You know why that is if you think about it - if you were buying your car you would want to pay a price that would allow you to turn around and at least come close to getting your money out if you had a need for fast cash. I think that is about it - people are just not sure where the job, the economy, the war, the flu and all the other hysterics in the media are going to take them - let alone where money for basics is coming from.

Anyway - good luck to you. It seems like a really nice very unique car. If you were closer as they say - I would be tempted to see for myself.
Hang in there!
Bob

Don't forget your potential customer base has shrunk dramaticly. People that thought it might be fun to get a car to play with are now holding off.
Good luck with your sale.

Stick with it buddy. Thats all I can really say. I am having a hard time selling my bone stock 86 with low miles and a rust free body. I though my car would be snapped up in a matter of weeks. It really is just the wrong time but hopefully guys will start buying again. Good luck. Your car looks solid. The miles are high but things can be rebuilt. The important part is a rust free body. From where you live I bet thats not a problem.

7500 is my guess. There probably is someone over here on the eastcoast that would be interested but then you have to add another grand to get it over here. Market sucks but this car does have a boat load of miles. Looks super nice but its going to be hard to get someone interested to buy it in the 10k range.

7500 is my guess. There probably is someone over here on the eastcoast that would be interested but then you have to add another grand to get it over here. Market sucks but this car does have a boat load of miles. Looks super nice but its going to be hard to get someone interested to buy it in the 10k range.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I picked up a car in Vegas once. That was a long drive back to Alabama. I don't really want to do it again but the shipping cost to get that car here would be more than double my fly out and get it cost.

The mileage scares people but that thing is worth $9k all day and if u sat on it at $12k im sure someone will come along and buy it in a few months or weeks maybe. It is a sought after color. There is an azz for every seat. I have seen two cars sell in the last 6 months that were 1/2 what that car is for $11k. I would not give it away unless ur hurten for money.

12K? :confused: Not a chance even in a good economy with that mileage. Rare color maybe, but the mileage stated can never be erased and does hurt its value. I'm not trying to bash this car but its a stretch even at 10k right now. But who knows maybe someone will come along and grab it up. Try to post lots of pics of common areas everyone asks about. I do notice that a good detailed ad and lots and lots of good pics always help the sale out. Good luck on your sale.

I have to be on the other end of the spectrum guys, I'm sorry to be the odd man out on this one and I'm really not cutting the car down what so ever. Looks like the car is in great shape and is well taken care of. The problem is the miles. I made reference to a car in other posts, an 86 T with 63K miles and well taken care of, newer paint hasnt sold yet for $7K. Unless it's rare, low miles, and restored or mantained to almost perfect, the cars just arent worth selling right now. I would say the body, interior, and rear end is $4k and the motor and trans are worth $1200 so my rough guestimation would be about $5200 fare value. You never know though. Best bet is to Ebay the car, start the bid at $1, set a reserve for what you would seriously bare minimum take for it and see what it gets bid to. Bad economy and bad muscle car prices right now. People just arent shelling out the cash unless it's a rare, low mile, perfect piece or a super highly modified bad a$$ car that someone doesnt want to take the time to build themselves. Just my opinion, not trying to down grade the car at all. Looks like this would be perfect for my brother!!! Your too far away though! Good Luck at the sale and i hope ou get a fare price for it! ------Jeremy

Could be a gem...

I would suggest that it all comes down to risk. The motor and trans were recently rebuilt - by who? The buick 3.8 is a unique beast so I would only trust a known buick builder on that, same with the trans. Expand on the maintenance history; when were the brakes done (pm ball, pump, switch, rotors, pads, etc)? Shocks & other suspension parts would likely need some attention before 200k. How's the paint? Original is always nice, but if its totally checked, a repaint is pretty much necessary. It's really tough to tell from the pics how good the body actually is, etc. It's possible this is a total jewel but without this type of info, we have to assume the worst and value accordingly.

BTW, I love the car - it's almost exactly the same as the first one I owned (blue interior) that went to CA. FWIW, if it had an impeccable history, I'd pony up 6-8k depending on the work still needing to be done.

I have been in the market for about three weeks now, and it looks like it is a good time to buy. I had bid on a WE 4 on Ebay yesterday, and it only went to $9600, and it had under 70,000. The owner didn't sell, but high nine thousand and low ten seems to be as high as people are going now, unless it is a very nice piece.

the car is clean and it should sale for at least 8k.. i have seen way worse sell for more out here in vegas...and the miles dont mean nothing, i mean the car is over 21 years old and you get what you pay for.. so anybody that buys a car thats 21 years old for 8-9k knows there has to be somethings the car needs like paint,shocks,ect. if you want flawless pay 15-25k

It should be worth $7500-$8000, but he is asking $9900. I voted for the $8000-$9000. Also, if the miles don't mean anything, then why keep track of them? The miles do mean something. If they didn't, nobody would advertise "Low" miles. Nobody seems to advertise "High" miles, they put it down in the ad somewhere after all of the good stuff about the car.
As far as selling for more in Vegas, maybe he ought to make the short trip and sell it there. I love the city and go there often, but anything there is not a realistic gauge for the rest of the country.
Also, I am new here, but doesn't this subject belong in a general discussion area? It is not a post that is selling his car, it is asking about the value of a car that he has listed in another post.

of course miles do mean something when you dealing with a new car or a collector ''investment''car but in ''this'' case i personly think it shouldnt hurt the value 7-8k range..just my opinion

I have mentioned this before to another seller, but if you HAVE TO SELL NOW
with the market being down with everything else, house's, cars, new furniture, you name it, you almost will have to take what someone wants to give you.
Knowing that, you are at the buyers mercy.
These cars in general are recreational cars and with everything depressed no one is willing to plunk down the money unless you are willing to give them the deal of the century.
It isnt these cars in particular, but all, non necessary cars, the hobby cars that are selling cheap.
You are selling into a really depressed market, so you have to decide what your bottom line really is and just accept it.
Sometimes you just have to decide and move on.

The car looks like it is in really good shape and had you of had it for sale 2 1/2 to 3 yrs ago you could hold firm on your price and most likely get it or very close to it.

The economy right now is just very very weak.

Good luck with the sale, and maybe someone might come along and just has to have this car !

Steve

Thanks to Everyone for Your Input

First off, I apologize if I put this thread in the wrong area.

I appreciate very much everyone's input.

I found it enlightening to hear that it is probably not correct to compare this car's price with those of daily drivers. My problem was that I have used it as a daily driver for 22 years(hence the high miles) and had not thought of it as an optional, hobby car only.

This week I'll drop the price by another $1K to $8,999. If you know of anyone who might be in the market, please let them know about my vehicle.

I will also seriously consider the idea of putting it on eBay with a bottom end reserve to see what the market will pay.

NO sweat!!!!! Yea I'm old & I still say stuff like that!

First off, I apologize if I put this thread in the wrong area.

I appreciate very much everyone's input.

I found it enlightening to hear that it is probably not correct to compare this car's price with those of daily drivers. My problem was that I have used it as a daily driver for 22 years(hence the high miles) and had not thought of it as an optional, hobby car only.

This week I'll drop the price by another $1K to $8,999. If you know of anyone who might be in the market, please let them know about my vehicle.

I will also seriously consider the idea of putting it on eBay with a bottom end reserve to see what the market will pay.

I've seen listings in this area that begin with, "An 86 GN (or what ever) - What's it worth?" and end with a sale! Besides you're way ahead of some listings that start with no price or location!:confused: You gotta start somewhere & you can imagine what would happen if you tried to increase your price! The keyboards would be clickin & clackin on your tail before the 'edit post' button on your thread disappeared! LOL ;)

Again - good luck with the sale.

In my way of thinking, it comes down to whether you want to make a career of marketing, E-mailing & phoning a dozen finalist buyers, and then finally selling the car....Or, whether you just want/need to have it gone.

Hold out for that last dollar if you have to, or sell it now. There are all kinds of low ball buyers out there, you could sell it in a day or two with the right price ($6,000-6,900). You might get $7500 if you wait 12 months for that perfect match. :)

Why don't you consider storing it for the first year of your overseas travel. The market should be better in a year and you'll have the car if your plans change after a few months. (Minding my own business now ;) )

Godspeed and happiness during your travels overseas :cool: