Is this the TCC?

crownvic96

my 87 GN has been stalling out a lot more recently at lights. my scanmaster shows everythings fine.

car is tuned up and runs every smooth and otherwise has great drivability.

TPS .44
IAC under 50
blm's ~128
vacuum is consistant and hasn't changed any.
fuel pressure ~40lbs at idle with hose off.

i did the brake light test ~50mph and the rpm's didn't jump anymore to signify the torque converter has locked up.

however i put vacuum brakes on my car a few months ago and used the switches that came with the junkyard pedal. i didn't notice any problems at first but i was wondering if one of these switches controls the tcc and if it could go bad causing the problem to the TCC.

or could it just be the TCC?

i'm in need of a tranny service anyway so i figure i'll do the TCC, 4th gear sensor and put the larger capacity pan with drain plug in since i'll be in the tranny area anyway.

is there anything else that i need to check or does this seem to be the TCC?

Most likely the TCC,Usually it will work fine till it gets hot,But is some cases when cold also
Does the car immedialtely stall when you put in in gear after you restart it?
If so the solenoid is probably bad,

it doesn't always immediately stall. but i'd say 1 in 4 times it will stall without the a/c on and 1 in 3 with the ac on.

The convertor should unlock when you get below whatever speed it is set to lock at in the chip, regardless of if the brake is depressed, and should not lock at all in 1st and 2nd gear unless the solenoid is stuck.
So you may have 2 issues....the TCC is stuck and the unlock switch that is hit by the brake pedal when depressed is not working any more or you moved it out of the way unknowingly when you installed the vac brake pedal.

The pedal switch simply unlocks the TCC anytime the brake is tapped whether or not you are below the programmed lock mph or not.
The TCC solenoid is easy to replace when the tranny pan is off, just a few wires to splice and a bolt or two.

i think its the tcc cause it didn't work this morning, and on my way home it seemed to be working when i depressed the brake pedal.

its the stock chip btw.