Is this the stock fan ?

434nova

Can anyone tell me if this the stock 87 fan ? Thanks

Attachments

• 1446674847390.jpg
    1446674847390.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 200
Yes, stock fan in the pic…Dual "spal" fans are a good upgrade and if you use Casper's wiring harness for it it's plug-and-play, no wires to cut.

Claude

Is it normal for the fan to turn on at 180 degrees ? I am running a fast xfi does it have a feature that will let me turn the fan on earlier ? Don't know what thermostat ot has but figure I should put a 160 degree in there if it doesn't have one. Today driving normal the car got around 190 degrees and when I got on it a little it went up to 215. Car does have a front mount intercooler.

I'd look into a Flow Kooler high flow water pump. I run one with a 30yo stock rad/fan, 50/50 water/antifreeze mix(no additives), and 160° thermostat. I also have a stock location Spearco liquid i/c and Chassisworks Fab 9 rearend with Detroit Locker and 3.70s, so I tach about 200rpm higher on the freeway. Under normal driving conditions in the Norcal winter or summer, I stay in the 162°-163° range and spike at 167° for a moment when my fan kicks on. When I got on it a lot recently during a dry day in the mid-high 80s, I only climbed to 179°. And after 15 minutes of driving normally, once again I was back down to 162°-163°.

Check out the Flow Kooler website, it's highly educational in regards to the science of cooling and components. He has this whole science thing behind his water pumps, and even claims you can gain hp with one. You gain hp, because you use less to turn it. And at the same time, improving your flow efficiency will conserve your hp.

It's funny how it seems that so many people go to such extremes upgrading their cooling systems, but neglect its weakest link; an antiquated water pump. I'd address this first and go from there. No mods, it's a direct bolt-in replacement, fairly inexpensive, and made in the USA. If your running a thinner core aluminum rad, they go hand and hand. Also, they're highly recommended for stop and go driving, parades, and in line at car shows, where air flow is nil. Similarly to a fmic. Just the pump alone will keep you running cool.

Attachments

• 1446700599776.jpg
    1446700599776.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Alradco radiator and fans. Peter (redC5) is a great guy to work with. Depending on which FMIC you have you can get thinner fan(s) for fitment

Attachments

• IMG_20140227_134257_728_1.jpg
    IMG_20140227_134257_728_1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
Alradco radiator and fans. Peter (redC5) is a great guy to work with. Depending on which FMIC you have you can get thinner fan(s) for fitment
Got that same hybid setup in my car. High quality unit and easy plug-n-play install. Alradco is one of our great vendors.