Is this my do over? IL impound?

If the guy paid you the asking price and you gave him the title, it's his car. If you go get it out of the pound and say its still yours it would be a waste of $2000. You see he is not the most upstanding citizen and may show back up at your door in a not so friendly way. Leave a way for him to contact you in case he wants to get a duplicate title to get his car out. You got what you wanted....cash. After that, move on before you create a problem you really don't want. Just because a laywer says, "legally you can do that" does not mean it is a good idea.

You sold the car. It does not belong to you. If you fraudulently represent that you are the owner, (not the REGISTERED OWNER but the OWNER), then you will be joining the real owner in the prison. There is a difference between the two terms. Registered owner doesn't mean anything as far as the actual ownership of the vehicle goes. Trust me, you do not want to fvck with this. You can't get something for nothing. Good luck. ;)

X3
Besides the ethics and moral issue of "you got paid for the car", I have one final question;
"If" you claim to be the owner and you show up as "the owner", is it worth rolling the dice to end up with "aiding in transportation of narcotics" charge?
You are playing Russian roulette. :eek:

They have your address if the wanted you they would have busted you a long time ago.Did you sign the title? Did you make out a bill of sale and have the buyer sign it along with you and a witness and at least two copies. Untill that title is transfered you are leagally bound to that car .My brother-in-law sold a car with no bill of sale. he did sign the title.the car was involved in a hit and run about a year later and the guy he sold it to got out and ran.The cops showed up at his door and arrested my-brother-in-law. After about 6 months of court he paid $9,000 in damages and legal fees.From that day on when I sell a car I drive with the person to the dmv and transfer the title.I have bill of sales from cars I sold 15 years ago.I would call the impound and see what is owed then calll the guy you sold it to if you still have there info and see what happens from there.If he lost the title your in luck.apply for a lost title. He cant. good kuck

They have your address if the wanted you they would have busted you a long time ago.Did you sign the title? Did you make out a bill of sale and have the buyer sign it along with you and a witness and at least two copies? Untill that title is transfered you are leagally bound to that car .My brother-in-law sold a car with no bill of sale. he did sign the title.the car was involved in a hit and run about a year later and the guy he sold it to got out and ran.The cops showed up at his door and arrested my-brother-in-law. After about 6 months of court he paid $9,000 in damages and legal fees.From that day on when I sell a car I drive with the person to the dmv and transfer the title.I have bill of sales from cars I sold 15 years ago.I would call the impound and see what is owed then calll the guy you sold it to if you still have there info and see what happens from there.If he lost the title your in luck.apply for a lost title. He cant. good kuck.

I'm just planning on mailing the letter out Monday that say I sold the car and I'm no longer the owner. Washing my hands of it so to say. I can't afford to spring it out anyways.......got other priorities to take care of first......3 kids. :biggrin:

go get the car- the person you sold it to thinks the car is gone, and he's off the hook for the impound fees. he will never even know that you got the car back, he just knows the car is gone and probably doesn't really care at this point. just make sure you file for a lost title immediately- this will invalidate the old title just in case it should turn up.
if you don't want the car- post up how much the impound fees are, and i'm sure someone else here would be more than happy to go get it with you, and maybe even pay you a little extra for your effort. at least then you'd know it's going to a good home. if i was closer and had the $$, i'd get it.

i had this happen to me once- i sold a 92 9C1 Caprice to a friend for $2000. he gave me $1000 cash, and the rest in parts he took off his 70 Camaro (wheels, air cleaner, valve covers, steering wheel). i signed the title over to him when he took the car and he assured me that it would be transferred monday afternoon.
he told me a few months later that he sold the car to a co worker, and assured me that he had transferred the title.
about a year later, i get a letter in the mail from a police department 50 miles from me that tells me to come get my car that they impounded when they pulled over an illegal immigrant (my friend's co worker) and gave him a dwi about a month earlier. i called them and told them the situation- that i had sold the car almost a year earlier and that it wasn't mine. they told me that since it was still in my name, it was still my car, so i could go get it. they even gave me a deal on the towing and impound- i got it back for $130 and had a really cool conversation with the cop at the impound lot about how much better my Caprice cop car was than his Crown Vickie. i asked him if he wanted to race, but he said that if we raced, he'd have to give me a ticket. stupid rules and regulations...
other than being full of a bunch of Mexican cd's, a trunk full of clothes, and an almost brand new child's car seat, it was still in perfect shape. it even had an almost full tank of gas.. i found the title in the glovebox- right where i saw my friend put it when he bought the car from me.. i sold the car seat for $50, laughed at the cd's, and burned the clothes. i then drove the car for a few months before parting it out- the trans was in my 74 Monte until it blew a year later, the motor is still knocking down 20mpg in my cousin's 95 Suburban, and the body won a demo derby..

that's what i am saying. it is still in his name and they will release it to him. the car was impounded for narcotics i'm sure because who ever was driving it got busted with drugs on them. call the cops and find out yourself. if they say you can take it, then go get it or like others have posted tell them fees, go with them to get it and apply for lost title and send it to the address of who takes the car. it's just going to get crushed if no one claims it.

I will call the police station(narcotics impound lot) on Monday as they were closed on Friday when I got the letter. Thats the one number I got off a lady on the phone that I could get through. Ask them about the car. Maybe I will just be straight out honest with them and see what they say??? :confused:

There is a V2 intake(1 of 25ish for the Hot Air) on that car that is powder coat in a gun metal grey. There is a Spearco Front Mount Intercooler. (Hot Air intercooler kit) All the bracing for the rear seats, under the front end in the engine compartment. Interior was damn near perfect when I sold it. Lots of gauges on the car when I sold it(VDO oil, temp, & boost). Autometer Tach & 2 5/8 hood mount liquid filled fuel pressure gauge. TA-49 turbo, 40# red stripes, manual boost controller, 87 MAF, 87 ECM, Red Armstrong chip, 87 style wastegate, ATR hot air up and down pipes, race pipe, old azz kenne bell exhaust, right rear air bag, F-body radiator, A/C converted over and worked good, but motor blower was weak, electric fans, flowkooler water pump, MSD wires, motor had less then 20K miles with fresh headgaskets, stock tranny that was going south, stock open rear end, 87 front air dams, & the body was pretty damn solid just a couple little areas of previous mud bubbling up.
BUT WHO KNOWS IF ALL THOSE PARTS ARE STILL ON THERE OR IF THE CAR ISN'T BANGED UP. Just needed the tranny freshened up when I sold it.

Stupid old me thought she was going to a "good home", what a freakin' liar people can turn out to be. :mad:

I will call the police station(narcotics impound lot) on Monday as they were closed on Friday when I got the letter. Thats the one number I got off a lady on the phone that I could get through. Ask them about the car. Maybe I will just be straight out honest with them and see what they say??? :confused:

There is a V2 intake(1 of 25ish for the Hot Air) on that car that is powder coat in a gun metal grey. There is a Spearco Front Mount Intercooler. (Hot Air intercooler kit) All the bracing for the rear seats, under the front end in the engine compartment. Interior was damn near perfect when I sold it. Lots of gauges on the car when I sold it(VDO oil, temp, & boost). Autometer Tach & 2 5/8 hood mount liquid filled fuel pressure gauge. TA-49 turbo, 40# red stripes, manual boost controller, 87 MAF, 87 ECM, Red Armstrong chip, 87 style wastegate, ATR hot air up and down pipes, race pipe, old azz kenne bell exhaust, right rear air bag, F-body radiator, A/C converted over and worked good, but motor blower was weak, electric fans, flowkooler water pump, MSD wires, motor had less then 20K miles with fresh headgaskets, stock tranny that was going south, stock open rear end, 87 front air dams, & the body was pretty damn solid just a couple little areas of previous mud bubbling up.
BUT WHO KNOWS IF ALL THOSE PARTS ARE STILL ON THERE OR IF THE CAR ISN'T BANGED UP. Just needed the tranny freshened up when I sold it.

Stupid old me thought she was going to a "good home", what a freakin' liar people can turn out to be. :mad:

I would hope you do the right thing. ;)

it won't hurt to find out and you never know what will happen. if the cops say you can take it then you go from there. fate has a funny wasy of working.

I WOULD AGREE THAT YOU ARE NOT THE OWNER, caps on sorry. i sold a v-10 ram that i'd love to have back and the new owner never titled. even though i got screwed, i agreed to the deal. right is right, it's his truck now.
but, where it's been abandonded at the pound by him, i hope there is some way you can get it back.

Odds are the guy you sold it to is doing 2 to 5 for narcotics. If it was a liability situation YOU would be responsible. YOU are the title holder. It's not your fault the guy didn't title the car.
If you can get the money, go on the last day before auction and claim the car.
I would go before hand and make sure it's worth the trip.
Somebody is going to get a deal on this car. Might as well be you.
Good luck.

if you end up getting the car back (auction or otherwise) you can easily get the money you put up back by selling those turbomotion intake parts..

if you do get it back, be sure to go get a replacement title.

Then wait and hope you don't get busted for title fraud. Imagine if everyone did this. You sell a car to an unsuspecting person b y signing the title over to them. Then before they have a chance to get the title changed, go get a duplicate title. Now you have a clean title for your car again, so take a spare set of keys and go "pick it up" from the former new owner!

how would he get busted for anything if he has the ok from the police department that he can take it?

I'm sending a letter today stating my situation. So, maybe they will contact me saying I can get it if I like or at least when the auction is. Otherwise I'm leaving the situation alone. I don't need any trouble right now. :)

Is the car in Chicago? They used to put unpaid vehicle fines on your credit report, and you are the registered owner.

I would hope they would wait until the car doesn't get picked up and they find out who the rightful owner is. Like I said this is more trouble then its worth right now....I got too much other crap to worry about.