Is this my do over? IL impound?

1QUICK85

Big Old Turbo Turd!!
OK, I get a letter in the mail saying my 1985 Buick GN is in the impound. So, I'm like WHAT? I haven't owned that car in almost 3 years. But, then I check the WI DMV website and it say my title is still in my name? I call the IL phone number for the pound or whatever and sure enough its sitting at a narcotics pound.

So, for who knows how much money I could virtually buy my car back. Somewhere between $1000-$2000 from what I have gathered. Since its been sitting since January 5th in the impound.

Of course I have no idea what condition its in or anything. I don't have any money on hand to throw at get it out. Last time I did see it the tranny was going weak.

If I don't personally pick it up then it will just go to city auction?

I feel terrible now being soooooo close to possibly getting my car back, but I can't. It bad enough wishing I had my car and then to get a letter saying it could possibly be mine is even worse. DAMN!!!! :redface:

Anyone got any advice?

There's always the black market organ trade, if you have a spare kidney lying around. Should be good for at least a $G. :cool:

I say go pick it up. The dope you sold it to obviously hasn't treated it with the TLC it deserves.

Ok, so I call the IL Traffic Services place and they say well if you sold it you can't pick it up. But, I say if I can produce a WI title with my name on it then how can they stop me? Why would they stop me they would get the money that owed and I would get my car with my clear title in hand. ;)

CRAZY HEY?

I can't find a number to call to get a possible amount owed to the city to release the vehicle to me.

If the guy didn't title it or liscense it then he must not have driven it at all in the last 3 years. So, the condition of it must be pretty decent still.

OH MAN THIS IS KILLING ME!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

The lady on the phone said I can't even though they don't know its not really mine????????

Don't have a trailer or cash, so I don't have a GN....I only got like 15 days...then who knows if there is any other repercussions to claiming the car as it was a drug related impound.....:confused:

The lady on the phone said I can't even though they don't know its not really mine????????

Don't have a trailer or cash, so I don't have a GN....I only got like 15 days...then who knows if there is any other repercussions to claiming the car as it was a drug related impound.....:confused:

if you sold it and the buyer never titled the car technically i would think you're still the owner.

Legally it seems that I'm still the owner..........according to the WI DMV website the title is still in my name. Weird........I WANT IT BACK SOOO BAD. :(

Was the title not sent off because you were never fully paid for the car? Does the guy still owe money for it?

you need to get permission to go look at the car first off.... go down there and see if it is even worth the headache.

If the guy paid you the asking price and you gave him the title, it's his car. If you go get it out of the pound and say its still yours it would be a waste of $2000. You see he is not the most upstanding citizen and may show back up at your door in a not so friendly way. Leave a way for him to contact you in case he wants to get a duplicate title to get his car out. You got what you wanted....cash. After that, move on before you create a problem you really don't want. Just because a laywer says, "legally you can do that" does not mean it is a good idea.

The car is not yours. You sold the car, you have no right to it. Did you sign over the title to the new owner? Did you turn the plates in or transfer them to another vehicle?

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Do you really want to claim a car as yours that is impounded over narcotics?
If you want it back wait for the auction.

No money is owed on the car in my name or his. Its in my name still for whatever reason he never titled it, but somehow got in trouble in the car. I tried looking for the guys phone number and email, but can't find it. He lives in IL.......so I have no idea what area he is from or anything.

I'm not going to pursue anything, but I would still like to help the guy out if I needed to. But, like I said I lost his contact info.

I'm just going to send the city of Chicago a letter stating I sold the car 3 years ago and the new owner must have never titled it. (thats what they told me to do)

Its wierd how things work.......now I have a really bad itch to own a Turbo Buick again. :biggrin:

Would be cool to see what it goes for at auction. Maybe I will include in my letter I would like to be notified of the date of the auction. :)

Thanks guys for the input!

You sold the car. It does not belong to you. If you fraudulently represent that you are the owner, (not the REGISTERED OWNER but the OWNER), then you will be joining the real owner in the prison. There is a difference between the two terms. Registered owner doesn't mean anything as far as the actual ownership of the vehicle goes. Trust me, you do not want to fvck with this. You can't get something for nothing. Good luck. ;)

if that car was never titled, legally you are still the owner which is why the IL pound sent you a letter of ownership that your car is in thier pound. how could you still have the title in your name if it was sold?

He's not the legal owner even if it were never titled. All the guy that purchased it has to do is process the title he has and now 1QUICK85 is in possession of stolen property. And like Sean said, I'm sure the police would have something to say about you representing yourself as the owner even though you're not.

if that car was never titled, legally you are still the owner which is why the IL pound sent you a letter of ownership that your car is in thier pound. how could you still have the title in your name if it was sold?

If you sell me your car sign the title, and I never take it to the DMV to get it switched it's still going to show up in your name. And if the new owner fails to take emissions they suspend YOUR license!

It happened to me once. I traded a truck for a car I onced owned. Got a letter in the mail 6 months later stating the truck was in the impound lot and I need to come pay $1000 or something like that to get it out. ( wasn't even worth $1000)

Turns out the guy I sold it to never titled it in his name and I guess the truck broke down on the side of the road. I called the place that sent the letter and explained I had sold the truck 6 months prior. That was the end of discussion. I was off the hook and I was not allowed to pay for the truck.