Is this coolant in my oil??

Thunder

Wanna-be 10 sec'r
Not much experience with this, looking for a second opinion from someone in the know. Looks to me like possible coolant in the oil? Is there a way to test for sure??

If so, would my next step be a leak down test?

Car has been sitting for a few years, and I am ready to tackle whatever it may be.

Thanks for any insight.

IMG_0399.JPG

Sure looks like it...oil looks nasty though. Hard to tell.

If that(coolant) went through the engine you need to be looking at the bearings. Antifreeze will wreak havoc on the bearings. A few years of sitting with water in the oil is not good at all either. Good luck.

Bryan

Looks like coolant to me. Another thing you can do is take a good sample in a glass jar and let it sit. You should see the layers pretty easy then.

If I remember correctly, I put maybe 100 miles on that oil before parking the car. Felt like the power was a bit off, and I think somewhere in the back ofmy mind I suspected this could be the case.

Next step make sure all the oil is out drain the radiator. Start taking off the intake and then the heads. You need new head gaskets. If you ran the car like that after the gasket let go your gonna need to clean out the bottom end too. Radiator fluid and bearings are bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you periodically start the car while it sat?
Also, drain that oil in a white paint strainer for bearing material.

Did you periodically start the car while it sat?
Also, drain that oil in a white paint strainer for bearing material.
Not as often as I should have, maybe twice a year. Just let it get to operating temp, fans turn on, and then wait for them to shut off...

That's your problem. Water condensation. Put new oil in it and start it up for a good minute. Then drain the oil and put new in and do the same thing again until the water is gone.
You need to drive the car in order to get it hot enough to boil out the moisture. Happens to a lot of people.

Not much experience with this, looking for a second opinion from someone in the know. Looks to me like possible coolant in the oil? Is there a way to test for sure??

If so, would my next step be a leak down test?...............]

What I have done in similar situations is first a compression test. If that does not give you a good indication of what is going on inside your engine with water, I would next do a pressure test.

Since there is no oil in the engine, be sure the oil drain plug is removed and place a clean pan underneath it.

Using a radiator testing tool, pressurize the radiator, and of course there must be water in the system.

If water comes out the oil drain, you have an issue, which is usually a head gasket. This would be a good time to remove the oil pan since it should be cleaned of the muck in there, and you could also see where the water leak source is located.

It is unlikely you have a radiator pressure tester, but most chain auto stores will loan you one, good luck.

What I have done in similar situations is first a compression test. If that does not give you a good indication of what is going on inside your engine with water, I would next do a pressure test.

Since there is no oil in the engine, be sure the oil drain plug is removed and place a clean pan underneath it.

Using a radiator testing tool, pressurize the radiator, and of course there must be water in the system.

If water comes out the oil drain, you have an issue, which is usually a head gasket. This would be a good time to remove the oil pan since it should be cleaned of the muck in there, and you could also see where the water leak source is located.

It is unlikely you have a radiator pressure tester, but most chain auto stores will loan you one, good luck.

Actually the oil catch pan was not pulled from under the car until the oil had been refilled.

Guess I'll go for a compression test first.

Drain the oil into a clean pan, and follow up with the radiator pressure test.

Busy couple weeks coming up at work, probably take me a week to get it done.

Thanks for the help!

Another way to check your head gaskets is to pressurize your cylinders with air like you were doing a leak down and have your radiator full and leave thew radiator cap off , pressure a cylinder and see if coolant pushes out the spout , may need to check several cylinders or start with the center cylinders witch is usual the one that blows first .

Well, got a chance to do the compression test today. I warmed the engine to operating temp, and did all tests with the throttle open.

#1 - 165#
#3 - 160#
#5 - 165#

#2 - 168#
#4 - 165#
#6 - 165#

All looks pretty good to me. #3 seems a bit lower than the others, I'm thinking its nothing to be too concerned about?

Also per Nicks suggestion, I am pressure testing the coolant system right now.

I started the test with 22# on the system, and right now (about 1½ hrs later) the tester is holding 21#. Also there is no sign of coolant dripping from the pan.

I would do what TTAmeasap suggested in post #9 if everything is holding. Put cheap oil in it, start it, flush it, drain it, refill with good oil and see what it does from there.

Or pull a main/rod cap first and check if you have the pan off.

When I milkshaked my engine, the color was much different. Browner and brighter and fresher? LOL If there is such a thing.... I suppose yours could be different from sitting for so long and separated. It very well could be condensation. Mine also ran fine driving around town and didn't leak until I went into boost. I'd definitely change the oil and flush it all out so you don't ruin parts. If it is the head gasket, I bet it will do it again once you go WOT.

Those are some healthy compression readings, im with previous posts. Flush it with cheap oil. Swap a couple filters, unless shes a low mileage GNX. GO HAVE SOME FUN, roast the tires and whatever moisture you have left in there. If shes a low mileage garage queen. Im a little less forgiving. Long highway cruise. Rat rods like myself run em hard let her idle a few min shut her down till following day(y)