Is this cam coated , or what ... never seen a dark cam before ---

alwayscode390

This is the DLS roller cam I bought with a set of Heads recently.

The heads are coated in 3 places ... so I figured MAYBE the person coated the Cam with something too?

Most cams I have seen (especially roller cams) ... are shiny on the lobes and bearings, this one is dark graphite gray. It has been ran for 10 minutes , and I can start to see the shine come through.

Maybe its just the brand of cam?

What do you think? Thanks :) ---

2d8fhq0.jpg

ctkee.jpg

*** HERE IS A PIC OF A UNCOATED CAM FOR COMPARISON :

svgars.jpg

Someone pointed me in the direction of a TEFLON coating? Does that seem right?

Does the coating look like it is mainly for the bearings ... since the cam is a roller cam the lobes shouldnt need much friction release (and its wearing on the lobes already) ? ---

That looks like a non billet cam for a V6 Chevy. Not a Buick, unless it is for your GMC, then all is good.

Sorry guys, youre right ... its for my GMC Syclone.

I posted it here because DLS is more known in the Buick community, and I figured you guys would know if he coated his cams sometimes.

Maybe the guy I bought it from coated it ... buying parts without a history is NOT FUN!!! ---

Someone told me :

"That is Parkerizing or chemically known as a manganese phosphate coating. It helps lube the camshaft during break in,and is used mostly on flat tappet cams."

Does that seem to be correct? ---

So this isnt a performance coating, its more to aid in the break in process?

Its still a roller cam , right? Whats the benefit of either a billet or cast iron cam vs. one another? ---

Is Delta Cam where DLS gets its cams made? I need to find the specs on this cam, and havent gotten a return email from DLS yet about it ... maybe Delta will have the specs?

That was an AWESOME link.

Someone told me that Billet cams are usually used on SOLID roller cams for strength.

Does that hydraulic comp cam in the last pic look like it is a cast iron cam too, just not coated? ---

Just stick it in........set valve lash correctly, and run it. Dan wouldn't send out a pile of junk. If it dies prematurely, you did something wrong. Slide it into the engine and go have fun. Looks like typical break in coating to me.

Im just trying to learn as much as I can about my parts.

I want the specs before I install it ... that way I can tell the tuner, so it runs good ---

I believe Comp Cams does all the work for DLS. I learned about Delta Cam from my Rep at Erson (Tom Mcgibbon) when I needed a keyway repaired. Those guys at Delta do great work and can fix nearly anything I send them. Check out their other links.

The second SBC cam in the picture is also a cast iron cam.....not billet......not coated either

We've delt with Delta for years on custom flat tappets and I've asked them about doing rollers. They will do them but you have to supply the blanks.