is there a way to prevent oil leak?

no-nos

Hay guys ,

is there a way to prevent the oil from coming out of the breathers under high boost? it does it every time, not much but it's a tiny sum. it seems to land right in the letter U below the filter.

Attachments

• fpl bill 010.jpg
    fpl bill 010.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 671
Those are the ones I'm using.

BUT I had a problem with the baffling restricting too much crankcase pressure from venting out to the breathers. As a result my dipstick would come out a little and blow oil at high boost. So I cut out one of the half moon baffles on the passenger side grommet...that fixed my problem, no more oil out the breathers or dipstick.

That is a good idea!

I was going to try some steel wool in the neck of the breathers and see if that would help

You might want to try a check valve inline with the PCV valve. To make sure boost is not getting into the crankcase through the PCV valve.

As somone said earlier. PCV. If you go to a parts store and get 10 PCV's off the shelf I will bet you at least half will leak air. Now if you can blow thru them then think about 20 or 25 psi of boost.:eek: My guess is that you are introducing boost pressure into the engine and it has to go somewhere. Go to the Gm dealership and get you a GM PCV...it will be flat gray and will not leak. Also put a one way check valve inline before this also as double insurance. This fixed my issues.:)

LT1 Evac pump +1

I had the same prob with my car. We put the LT1 evac pump on my car and it hasnt dripped a drop since!! here's how..

LT1 350 electric 12v smog evac pump from salvage yard. It has an IN and OUT. Hook a hose from one valve cover to the IN on the pump. Keep an open breather on the other valve cover so it can pull a vacuum also. Hook a catch can with a breather to the OUT on the pump. Hook the pump up on a relay and make it come on with a hob switch about 3 psi and it will stay on while it see's anything above 3 psi. It will evac the crank case pressure while under boost. Mine works awesome!! hope this helps. There is a thread about this on here somewhere.

Jason

A Buick that doesn't leak? :confused: Why would you want that?:biggrin:

Yep......them Buick engineers really had it together by designing a simpler way to determine if you are low on oil. No need to open the hood and get all dirty. Just wait untill it stops drippin', THEN add some. Dipsticks are for Dipsticks.:biggrin: I think that the British had their hand in on the sealing and gasket designing phase.;) The only reason the British never made televisions is because they could never figure out how to MAKE them leak oil.:p
The Rolls-Royce Griffons that I use to build, would leak about 2 qts. of oil all over the shop floor after a race. (and we had at least 4 of them sitting in the shop that were run at the race. So, it looked like the Exxon Valdez parked in the shop over night.:eek: What a mess to clean up first thing in the AM.

Good ring seal is the best place to start if you want a leak free engine. You can also try a purge tank connected to the valve cover breathers via hoses. I use to just run a hose under the car to keep all the blow-by out of the engine bay. Then after a good rebuild, I didn't need to worry about it so much.

I have to admit that I used to hate the 3.8 motors before I bought a GN. Most of the ones I used to work on when I started turning wrenches were N/A cars that leaked everywhere. Like the above posts say, I would lean towards either a PCV or piston ring problems.