Is there a way around using the AIT Sensor?

KTamez

FAST Equipped 97 Z28. I'd like to just run an open throttle body w/o the AIT sensor. Is this possible? ANy corrections need to be made in the tune?

Many Thanx in advance.

You could measure the resistance of the sensor at ambient temp and plug a dummy resistor of equal or approximate value into the harness. You can't leave it open or shorted or you'll have trouble.

If you're just pulling in ambient air just leave the senor in a area that's at a similar temperature. Cowl, under the bumper, etc.

Why don't you want to use an air temp sensor? I guess 10SV6's answer makes more sense to me than my first answer did.

Even in a n/a car, a speed/density system will monitor incoming air temp and adjust accordingly. It's much more critical on forced induction motors, but still part of the equation for everyone.

I suppose my question wasn't worded quite right. I would like to keep the sensor in operation, though I'm just preferring to lose all the extra intake ducting to which the sensor normally mounts.

10SV6's answer sounds about perfect to me, as Ideally I'd like to keep it there to monitor the temp of the inlet air as it can be a big swing considering an open TB will pull just the ambient air in the engine compartment will get fairly warm.

I'll have to test and see which will actually makes more power, though it does seem to work for the Stock Eliminator guys. ;)

How big of a diff does the AIT sensor really make?

I used a Vortech last year on my motor and didnt have a place to insert the sensor into the discharge tubing and had planned the swap to a turbo so I did not want to hack up the tubing.

I left the sensor plugged in and laid it on the manifold.

How would it have made my situation better by having it in the actual flow of air?

Have you ever looked at what happens to air temp as boost increases on a data log? On non-intercooled motors, I've seen the air temp increase 150 degrees in the duration of a single dyno pull. Compressing the air really heats it up and it makes a very big difference. I suppose you could "make up" for it in the VE table, but you really should have the ATS in the compressed air stream. The relationship between air temp and air density is known, and the speed/density calculation that happens inside the ECU figures that in.

Originally posted by Guido
How big of a diff does the AIT sensor really make?
I used a Vortech last year on my motor and didnt have a place to insert the sensor into the discharge tubing and had planned the swap to a turbo so I did not want to hack up the tubing.
I left the sensor plugged in and laid it on the manifold.
How would it have made my situation better by having it in the actual flow of air?

On the late Pontiacs with the S/C engines they move the timing around 12d as a function of IAT.
I generally wind up at 2-3d per 20dF of air temp.