Is the PT51 the answer for me?

Spongebob

Buick Abuser
I am getting a new turbo this winter, I was leaning towards a TE44, but someone I respect is recommending a PT51.

I have 009's and an orange stripe converter. With the stock turbo and IC, best ET is 12.61 @ 108. The tank is always 100% 110 octane.

Vendor will be John Craig at Limit Engineering.

Any experience/opinions?

I would go with what John recommends then. I would lean to a 44 myself, but let John tell you what he thinks, he is the expert.

I don't have any experience with a PT51 turbo (I've got a little TA49), but I can tell you this much...... You are making a good decision by using John Craig! He is a great vendor and if I were you I'd call John and ask him his opinion on what turbo would be best for your goals and combo...... My brother Alex (blackshoebox) had a TE44 turbo and ran 11.80's @118mph with 009's and a red stripe converter..... Personally I don't think you can go wrong with the TE44 as it has been proven to be an easy high to mid 11 second turbo and it will work great with your combo IMO

HTH and good luck:) :cool:

Thanks for the info.

John Craig didn't recommend one over the other, but e-mailed me saying either was a good choice. I was interested in the PT51 because I've seen it advertised as a fast spooling turbo.

Originally posted by Spongebob
Thanks for the info.

I was interested in the PT51 because I've seen it advertised as a fast spooling turbo.

I would bet a $1 that the TE44 spools faster than the PT51:D

What I don´t get, is that the PT51 is stated to support 580hp and the TA-49 is to support 540hp. This should make about 3mph on the 1/4.

If so, why should the 51 be so much better, and why have I´ve been told that my 49 won´t due much more than I´ve performed?

I´m just trying to understand the big differences between all the turbos.

/Andreas

Originally posted by Lunkan
What I don´t get, is that the PT51 is stated to support 580hp and the TA-49 is to support 540hp. This should make about 3mph on the 1/4.

If so, why should the 51 be so much better, and why have I´ve been told that my 49 won´t due much more than I´ve performed?

I´m just trying to understand the big differences between all the turbos.

/Andreas

Truth be told there is not much (if any) difference in performance between the TA49, TE44, PT51, TA60, and TE60 from what many on this board have seen in the real world 1320ft (1/4 mile) test...... The HP ratings for these turbos seem to vary depending on the vendor and they have even changed them (the HP ratings) over the years so I would just take those ratings with a grain of salt at best:)

Originally posted by 86brick
Truth be told there is not much (if any) difference in performance between the TA49, TE44, PT51, TA60, and TE60 from what many on this board have seen in the real world 1320ft (1/4 mile) test...... The HP ratings for these turbos seem to vary depending on the vendor and they have even changed them (the HP ratings) over the years so I would just take those ratings with a grain of salt at best:)

I absolutely agree about the HP ratings on the turbos. Everyone rates them differently so you mostly have to go by the experience of others as to what ET/MPH a turbo is capable of.

I do, however, disagree with the comment about the performance difference of the turbo's you listed. From my experience the 51 will indeed pull harder on the top end than a TE44 or TA49. The downside is that there is also more lag. I also think you will notice quite a difference in a TE/TA60 vs a 44/49 turbo. I switched from a TA49 to a PT52 (basically a TE60) and noticed quite a difference in power both on the street and at the track. You will however, need at least 3000-3200 stall to make that size of turbo happy.

How can a 52 turbo be about same size as a TE60? I thought most said the 51 had more power than the TE60 but 61 has more power than the 51..am I wrong?
Brian

I have had a 51 with a precision exhaust housing on my car for about 4 years now and love it. You will need a 2800-3000 converther though.. You did not say what converter you do have. I guess if you are gonna keep your stock converter a 44 is better, If you have or gonna get a new higher stall converter go with the 51.

Hmm..I have a stock d5 converter & cant tell much difference than my stock turbo..both had a lil lag which id think is common with any turbo..Id love for it to be instant spool but..its not a supercharger..I can take a lil lag..its not a pig or anything..60ft did drop a lil but not much..like 1-1.5 ...Id go at least 51 myself..if you with a converter go a lil bigger than a 51..Id go ith a TE60 OR TE61 TURBO with garret housing
Brian

Originally posted by national
How can a 52 turbo be about same size as a TE60? I thought most said the 51 had more power than the TE60 but 61 has more power than the 51..am I wrong?
Brian

The 52 and TE60 both use the 60-1 compressor wheel and a very similar turbine wheel.

The 51 uses the same compressor wheel as a 44/49 but uses a larger turbine wheel, which is why it generally has more lag but better top end than a 44/49.

From what I know, powerwise the turbo's would go something like this:

49, 44, 51, 60, 52, 61, 54

This doesn't include any of the newer GT style turbo's. I don't know exactly how/where those fit in yet.

Originally posted by 86brick
Brick>> Just wondering why PTE's site put them in horsepower order of TE60-580hp....TE51-585hp...TA60-600hp..PT51-580HP...
Whats the real difference in the TE51 & the PT51?
Why would they show the TA60 with more power than the TE60? Why cant they just put turbo numbers for the hp level..now we got the new GT's calling them 30's or something & they are suppose to be huge.. Also..whats the difference in a small 60 wheel as in the TE51 & a large 60 wheel in the TE60? I know alot of questions but maybe you or someone could answer a few anyways..the way you have them in order is the way Ive always thought it was & may be in real life..PTE's site could have bad info too..just curious..
Thanks,Brian

You stated that you have an orange stripe converter, that is not a "stock" D5 so to speak....it's a looser than stock D5. I would go with the TE44 myself. I just recently sold this same turbo to a buddy of mine and thought VERY highly of it. I ran the 44 with a stock D5 and had no real spool-up problems to speak of...that is after Eric Marshall got done programming the chip to work with it. The TE44 is a tried and proven work horse that will take you well into the 120 mph range...give or take a few MPH either way. I took that turbo to 123 mph before selling it and replacing it with a new TE45a that I couldn't pass up....buddy deal.