Is my turbo blown or is this an ignition problem

crownvic96

I haven't driven my car in awhile(traveling and what not) and i just got done replacing the water pump. everythings running smoothly at idle, blm's are ok, steady vacuum. I went out to open it up and as soon as it seems like its gonna build boost it starts surging, sputtering and breaking up really bad. lots of black smoke coming out the tail pipes so i know its getting fuel.

has my turbo gone bad or is there an ignition problem, maybe a sensor is wet from all the coolant during the water pump change process?

this is a '87 GN, stock turbo, stock longblock.

maf is only about 2 years old, its a 3" impala SS unit, plugs and plug wires are about 2 years old as well

test pipe.

car was fine a couple weeks ago sans the leaking water pump. water pump is no longer leaking but its breaking up really bad under load. I just didn't know if there was something i may have gotten wet unplugged during the water pump installation or if this is just totally random.

I have heard and had personal experience with a bad water pump leaking down on the crank sensor and causing it to go bad, but in my experience when the crank sensor goes out, it goes completely, and the motor just quits.

Well the correct answer was D. none of the above. It was an ID10T error. I didn't have the uppipe clamp on the throttle body fastened properly and under boost it was pushing off venting to atmosphere. Problem is fixed.