Is my roller cam junk

mygn276

Has anyone ever have a solid roller lifter fail and gall the lobe on your cam? It does not look to bad, no high spots or deep groves. You think i should just send the lifters to comp cams and put it together?:D If it was a flat tappet cam i wouldnt be asking this.

I have had one go bad and create a track in the cam lobe. Had to buy a new cam. Sucks for Stage II head, roller bearing cams. Not something just sitting on the shelf at Comp! Never did find out what caused it. I think it was more an issue with massive valve spring pressure combined with a bad rocker where I threw a pushrod loose a couple times. if you have a cam that looks like it has a bad spot I would not risk it. Everytime you have an issue or performance isn't where you expect it you will suspect the cam.

The rollers wear out on higher lift fast ramp high revving roller applications. Then they slide on the cam and wear it. If its not to badly worn it can be re-cut.

Older roller needle brgs usually give up, especially if street driven. Poor oiling is usually the case. Isky and others recommend rebuilds rather frequently.
Use of the newer designs w/ pressurized oiling and high QC on the roller needles will lessen the failure rates..
Excessive lash will beat the heat treated shell into submission, causing slide instead of roll.

Call the guys at Delta Cam in Tacoma Washington. They were recommended to me by Tom at Erson. They can repair and regrind many damaged cams.

I have an Erson roller cam that I tore up the keyway (a long story). The guys at Delta welded up the damaged area, reground the area, recut the keyway then reground the cam. Their prices are very resonable and they are good!

Dave

roller cam prep

Trashed cam (your pick), find another. If you think it's usable, media blast the lobes and have it cryo'd before install.
Tape the bearing surfaces, use (fresh) medium grit titanium oxide, 60/70 psi, about 10"/12" from the lobe surface and don't stay in one place (keep the gun moving) and rotate the cam to insure you get a nice even finish. This all works to get the rollers to bite instead of sliding.
Do not leave the ti oxide in the media blaster, remove it for another day.
The Cryo treatment greatly reduces lobe wear (peace of mind too). good luck...

roller cam failure

I heard of some people have roller cam failure because of using royal purple synthetic oil. They said it is so slick that the roller can't rotate, it just slides over hte lobe. I don't know if its true or not but I heard it more than once.

Thanks with all the advise. I talked to Tim Cole at comp, Im sending rverything in to be rebuilt and see if they can clean the cam up on the lobes.