is my new oil pressure guage reading wrong??

I just don't like the worry of the frickin lines leaking inside the car...the only mechanical gauge I have is my hood mounted fuel pressure gauge...not sure if I want fuel inside the car? or even oil for that matter

Re: oil pressure 10-12 psi Idle ----OK

Originally posted by turbojack
I had /have this same thing with my car.After rebuild,60 psi cold idle,10-12 psi hot Idle. Tore engine out,re ckd clearances on rods/mains,side of rod,crank end,etc,etc,,found all good,PERFECT---so ,I guess its supposed to be this way,,like the man says,10 psi for every 1K RPM,thats what I have,and its still running fine----

You didn't mention what weight oil you were using or which type. While it may be optimum to use a 10W30 weight in a perfect world, many of us can see an increase in our oil pressure using heavier weights. If you feel more comfortable looking at more oil pressure, as I do, you can simply use heavier oil. Now that we'll be getting into colder weather, the whole problem will not be that big an issue.

RED REGAL T----

I still have 10/30 castrol,but with the cooler weather,what would you use ?? I was thinking of trying out 20/50 or staight 40 or 50. Also not mentioned ,I drilled my mains out,along with my bearing shells. I think that maybe without the big pressure numbers,at least I will have the volume because of the drilled mains,compensating fot the low pressure numbers = all is OK. What do you think of my reasining ? I drilled these cause I read an article in GMHP of a guy who builds em like this for a living,so if was ok for him,well,then it good enough for me,but now I`m wondering about this.Only at idle and up to about 2000 is it "low" ,after that,it shoots up like a rocket to 50 psi at 3500 and maxs out at 65-70 at wot,so not all is crappy in camelot,after all, thats where I really need the pressure most------Jack

Jack........I drilled out my bearing shells to 9/32". I didn't drill the engine passages. Anyway, sounds like you have good enough oil pressure and true, you'll certainly have good volume. If you'd like a scoshe higher, you could try a change to 10W40, or 20W50. You could also compromise and mix weights to tailor to your needs. ;)

Another option is a HV pump. I've been running them "forever" and have never had a problem.