Is my cam sensor bad?

GN18944

Went to change the cam sensor cap chasing a misfire and I think my whole cam sensor is bad - now it won't run.

The metal ring inside the cam sensor cap spins either direction freely, I don't believe it's supposed to do that. Am I right?

Does it need a whole new cam sensor or is it repairable?

Yes its bad. take the phillips head screw out that holds the slotted wheel and most likely it is is broken where the metal ring contacts the shaft....if the ring is not broken you have bigger issues

There are repair kits available that can fix the problem if the center of the trigger wheel is not damaged to badly........several mandatory spare parts every T/R owner should have on hand are crank sensor and bracket, cam sensor complete, coil pack, ignition module, full pack of assorted fuses,
and An envelope in the glove box to collect 100$ bills in to pay for tickets, spare parts, racetrack fees,future upgrades etc......

Yes its bad. take the phillips head screw out that holds the slotted wheel and most likely it is is broken where the metal ring contacts the shaft....if the ring is not broken you have bigger issues

Yeah that's what I thought. I set the engine to 25 degrees ATDS reinstalled the cap and it idled fine. As soon as I blipped the throttle it wanted to bog out so I'm not surprised. Just wanted to confirm before I order the part.

There are repair kits available that can fix the problem if the center of the trigger wheel is not damaged to badly........several mandatory spare parts every T/R owner should have on hand are crank sensor and bracket, cam sensor complete, coil pack, ignition module, full pack of assorted fuses,
and An envelope in the glove box to collect 100$ bills in to pay for tickets, spare parts, racetrack fees,future upgrades etc......

Haha thanks for the chuckle on a frustrating Friday evening.

Yeah that's what I thought. I set the engine to 25 degrees ATDS reinstalled the cap and it idled fine. As soon as I blipped the throttle it wanted to bog out so I'm not surprised. Just wanted to confirm before I order the part.
You can unplug the cam sensor AFTER the engine is started and it will run and most likely the problem will go away.......but the sensor must be connected for the engine to start.......

You can unplug the cam sensor AFTER the engine is started and it will run and most likely the problem will go away.......but the sensor must be connected for the engine to start.......

Yeah I know. I've been looking forward to a big car show down the road for 6 months. The night before the cam sensor takes a dump.... I'm considering doing this. But it will require me retiming the cam sensor at the show to get home. I feel like that's taking a bit of an unnecessary risk of not getting home. Even though it is only 3 miles....

You are good to go with that cam sensor repair kit. It is actually the RJC piece. Note that if there is excess end play in the shaft it can be shimmed via SBC distributor shims. Leave at least .010" of end play.

RemoveBeforeFlight