Is It Worth it? - 01 Camaro SS ($8000) vs 99 Formula ($5900)

kTrainHurricane

Vader Drives a GN
I am looking at two cars and am having a hard time deciding which is the better deal. I have always heard that the 01-02 cars are the best Fbodys to go with. I also understand that the SS and Trans Am cars hold a little higher of a "premium" than Z28 and Formulas. Both of these cars have around the same mileage (96k) and no serious mods. Both cars are also "OBO."

Please feel free to chime in and lend any and all advice possible...thanks!

I like the look of the Pontiac's better. That would solve that issue for me.:D

If it was a Ram Air T/A vs. Camaro SS it would be a close call but, all things being equal the SS hands down over a Formula.

Why? ...and is it that far-off to just put a WS6 hood on the Formula?

The vehicle that was more sought after and premium new is usually more sought after and premium used. The SS went to SLP after it left the factory, the Formula didn't.

The vehicle that was more sought after and premium new is usually more sought after and premium used. The SS went to SLP after it left the factory, the Formula didn't.

Does that same "premium" still come into play when the car has 100k or more miles on it though? I am looking more towards overall value rather than resale. Is the SLP tweaked 2001 SS really worth $2100 more for the "less superior" 1999 LS1 Formula when the car is being used as a daily driver?

I have always preferred the Pontiac over the Chevy, appearance wise. The Camaro looks like a stretched Geo Storm to me.

Is the SLP tweaked 2001 SS really worth $2100 more for the "less superior" 1999 LS1 Formula when the car is being used as a daily driver?

That's up to you. To me the SS is better looking, more exclusive, depending on what SLP options were checked it could have some trick parts, and it will always be worth more. Without seeing it $8k is a really good price for an SS.

Sure you do, we both like naked women.:D

That's up to you. To me the SS is better looking, more exclusive, depending on what SLP options were checked it could have some trick parts, and it will always be worth more. Without seeing it $8k is a really good price for an SS.

This is the type of response I am looking for - thanks for using specific points to argue your case...

I am looking at two cars and am having a hard time deciding which is the better deal. I have always heard that the 01-02 cars are the best Fbodys to go with. I also understand that the SS and Trans Am cars hold a little higher of a "premium" than Z28 and Formulas. Both of these cars have around the same mileage (96k) and no serious mods. Both cars are also "OBO."

Please feel free to chime in and lend any and all advice possible...thanks!

I would take the ss without a second thought.
If the formula was a factory ws6 ramair car or a firehawk then it would be a diff story, but i would still take the ss because i personally like them better then the firebirds,but it then would at least be comparing the same level car.
The ss is a special order car,above + beyond the z/28 ,just as the firehawk + ws6 is a step up from the base formula or t/a.
Also the formula is actually a cheaper version then the t/a, even tho the formula is rarer then the t/a,the t/a is generally more desirable then the formula,rarer doesn't always mean more valuable or desirable,if its a base formula it's rarer the a base t/a but it is still a base car + not as desirable as a ram air car.
unless you get one of the rare,formula ramair cars etc.
The ss is going to hold it's value Much
better,because it's a specialty model,
Example the 70 gsx is sometimes worth twice what a comparable gs is worth + all it had different was stickers + a spoiler.
The ss differs from a base z/28 or v8 firebird,with a ram air hood + ramair setup underneith,diff exhaust,rear spoiler,badging,inside + out,, 17 inch wheels vs 16"s on the non ramair cars,+ depending on year,+ how it was ordered,could have a bilstein suspension option,ss front grill,2 diff sets of chromed wheels,(5 spoke or 10 spoke) center mount exhaust,intake option.
The option code on the drivers door will help verify if it is a real ss,look for the option code wu8,which means it has the ss option from the factory,+wheel + tire sticker should have 17 inch tires for the size.
Also extra options that were added at slp,will be on another sticker, on the passenger door labeled slp,+ will give the extra options that were added there.
Also the 2001 + 2002,camaro's + firebirds got a better cam + intake setup then the earlier cars,which gave better low + midrange power + a bit extra top end ,also got a heavier duty clutch + other minor improvements.Including a higher horse power rating by 20-40 hp depending on options + year.
my opinion get the SS + never look back ,you won't be sorry.
For more info + insight on a ls1 car i would go to ls1.com + ask the same question.

Its tough to make a decision on the limited info presented.

However here are my thoughts....by far the formula is the rarer animal this would especially hold true if tis a 6-speed hardtop....

I think most or all SS where T-Tops ( I am not a huge fan of F body cars due to the ride quality)
although somewhere out there someone is driving a 1993 z28 6-speed with our very first 6-speed shifter in it....

Color plays a part, as does options and notably history of the cars, and if either has been smoked in.

Again looking at it go with what you want and desire....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Some year Formulas are extremely rare due to a GM strike not sure what years though...

Its tough to make a decision on the limited info presented.

However here are my thoughts....by far the formula is the rarer animal this would especially hold true if tis a 6-speed hardtop....

I think most or all SS where T-Tops ( I am not a huge fan of F body cars due to the ride quality)
although somewhere out there someone is driving a 1993 z28 6-speed with our very first 6-speed shifter in it....

Color plays a part, as does options and notably history of the cars, and if either has been smoked in.

Again looking at it go with what you want and desire....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Some year Formulas are extremely rare due to a GM strike not sure what years though...

They were definetly not all t-top cars,they could be had either way.
having had both i would definetly take a t-top car,they didn't have the leaking + rotting problems that the tr's have + the body is a bit stiffer too,tho there is some body creaking on unlevel surfaces,the t-tops add a nice driving experience in the summer.
For colors,I would take a white or Sunset orange metallic,As a matter of fact i did.
I have an 02 sunset orange,t-roof car.+ Love it.

The only Fbody I owned was actually a 6-speed hardtop Formula, black on black with leather interior. Owned it about 2 years ago and yes, I regret selling it... :frown:

heres a solid scientific way

to decide....run both at the local track:eek:,and pick the fastest one.:biggrin:

Hey man, good to see you're going the route of closer to stock cars...I really think you won't regret that decision already.

I'm going with the SS on this one, hands down. If I knew nothing about the car except that it was an 01 SS with under 100K, I'd say that $8K was a great price already. When I was looking, I was finding similar cars for $10-12K (varying depending on mileage), and was prepared to pay it. I remember a 2000 SS that was lightly damaged and heavily modded, with an A4 (not nearly as desirable as the 6-speed) that needed a rebuild going for $7500 in my area. $8K for stockish condition is a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

SS cars are more exclusive, as they were limited-production, factory authorized and numbered cars. I was always partial to the WS6 Trans Am (I had a 99) but even they weren't numbered. Even as a DD you're gonna see a better resale value down the road. To me SS = instant collector value.

Also, 2001-2002 cars had better drivetrains; I don't remember the specifics, but you can research that. I want to say they had a revised intake, cam, and ram air system, and about a 10hp bump, over the previous model years (but don't quote me.) Beyond that, the SS package was good for another 15hp (approx.) over the regular LS1s. I believe 99 LS1=295hp, and 01 SS=320hp.

For more info + insight on a ls1 car i would go to ls1.com + ask the same question.

This is the best advice you're ever gonna get.

Hope my hazy memory helps!

Buy the SS and tell me where I can find the Formula! I know a buddy who is killing for one!