Is it time and worth the upgrade?

MUSCL GN

You can see my combo below. I have had a TE63 on car for like 20 years...its been damn good to me and I was impressed with this turbo from day 1. Maybe its tired... just seems slow to spool, still pulls like mad at higher end. No leaks, RJC boost controller, alchy, translator. Starting to wonder if its time to upgrade to a BB, newer technology turbo? Will I see a big difference in spool up? A bit more fun to drive on the street? Could use some opinions from some of you guys that have gone from a similar turbo like mine (TE63/TE45) to something newer.

Normally when spool times goes to pot, its due to a header leak.

...might want to look at the wheels and make sure all the fins are there too.

I have had the stock headers welded too many times over the past 20+ years. Possible could be leak and I am missing it. Regardless, ordering up the TA performance headers and being done with that.

I’m pulling the trigger on an S cover, B.B,billet
Figure it’s time to keep up with the new stuff

You can see my combo below. I have had a TE63 on car for like 20 years...its been damn good to me and I was impressed with this turbo from day 1. Maybe its tired... just seems slow to spool, still pulls like mad at higher end. No leaks, RJC boost controller, alchy, translator. Starting to wonder if its time to upgrade to a BB, newer technology turbo? Will I see a big difference in spool up? A bit more fun to drive on the street? Could use some opinions from some of you guys that have gone from a similar turbo like mine (TE63/TE45) to something newer.

Before you make your decision, I would recommend taking a moment to read this tech article I just finished writing that discusses the new technologies used in billet wheels, and the different type of billet wheels.

It may help you make your decision, or hopefully prevent you from spending money on a turbo that you do not need.. https://www.boostedrps.com/single-p...rpay-Or-Be-Fooled-Into-Buying-The-WRONG-Turbo

Great article and very educational! I had no idea in all the technological differences of the wheels. I would recommend anyone who comes across this post clicks on the link.

Ugh still no closer to my decision though. I know someone old school here like me had the TE45/TE63 and had to upgrade, need some more input.

I know someone old school here like me had the TE45/TE63 and had to upgrade, need some more input.
pull the trigger as fast as you can.the newer turbos act like superchargers compared to the old stuff on the right build.the turbo response on a bb turbo with a lightweight billet comp wheel makes the turbo hit alot sooner even on mild builds especially on a rollout/street situation.plus you can go smaller on the comp wheel and make more power than a cast wheel of similar size.

Great article and very educational! I had no idea in all the technological differences of the wheels. I would recommend anyone who comes across this post clicks on the link.

Ugh still no closer to my decision though. I know someone old school here like me had the TE45/TE63 and had to upgrade, need some more input.

You liked the article? Was it easy to read and follow? Did the "Example for Understanding" sections help explain some of the more technical stuff?

Sorry for all the questions...I wrote that article myself, so I'm excited that someone actually liked it!

I had a TE45A in my first GN I owned, but that thing spools so slow compared to what is available today that can make the same amount of power.

If you want more power with better spoolup, something like a new 6465 from WORK and their G4 line, or a Garrett 6265 GTW. The 6265GTW will spool STUPID fast, and will take you to the bottom 10s if you run the turbo all-in. The WORK G4 6465 will still spool faster than the TE45A, but take you to the mid-9s all day lonf.

Hope that helps!

I’m having jack put one together for a 10 sec et slip from turbonetics.
It’s taking a while to get it, but I have all summer to get the car ready

I love reading about how great billet turbos are but let's not forget the underline message, it doesn't matter which turbo you go with if your combo is not right. I had a TE63 on my car from 97 to about 03 then sent it to Reed when he was Turbo Specialties and he performed magic and made it a 66. It is amazing how fast smaller billet turbos are getting the job done. I will continue to run my 66 on the ttop GN just as fast and long as I can. I haven't ran that car in the 1/4 in a while but it is strong enough to push it to a 6.49. The most high tech gadget on that car is direct scan.

I appreciate the feedback guys. I am going to go forward with purchasing a new turbo. Just trying to figure out which one now?!

rag231; "I love reading about how great billet turbos are but let's not forget the underline message, it doesn't matter which turbo you go with if your combo is not right."

Couldn't agree with you more. The car has gone 10's and TE63 has killed it for me for over 20 years! Turbo and combo have been proven, grateful to all the GN guys in Chicagoland area back in the late 90's that recommended it. With all my other mods it pulls mad on the top. Though now, I am looking to take the car in a different direction, still want it to be a beast on the street, but not really going to be seeing track. Guess that is why I got to thinking about replacing the turbo; and all the billet, BB, ported, etc turbo tech might allow me to spool quicker, better response and hit my end goal of just being able to enjoy driving it more on the street (and Yes the T tops come off and the 80's hard rock gets turned up)!
Unless of course Dad here is driving with the wife and his 2 little ladies, then the Ttops stay on, the tinted windows go up, AC on and hope the drone of the single 3" can blissfully block out Rhiannon, Beyonce or whomever I am subjected to listen to. LOL-who am I kidding, I am too damn blessed-Id listen to anything just to be out cruising with my girls and getting some Oberweis Icecream!

I had a TE45A in my first GN I owned, but that thing spools so slow compared to what is available today that can make the same amount of power.
its hard to get guys to understand this,its not that you cant get a 45a to go fast on a track leaving on boost with a good tire but the response of the turbo on a flat punch roll out street scenario is where the new stuff blows it away.not to mention when turned up can make alot more power

I have had a GT6776BB for years and it probably good for at least 200 more hp than the Ta49 it replaced. But is spools just as fast

Hey OP,

I just shot you a phone call and text. Please hit me back whenever you are free. I promise I won't be busy eating a burger and drinking beer later tonight, so I'll be able to talk :p ;)