Is it the lower speedometer cable?

d0n_3d

Boost is good.
I'm trying to chase down this code 24. I basically have no mph reading on my electronic VDO speedo in my GNX dash. After putting in one of those VSS buffer boxes (greenish color) and having my VSS sender piece inspected and checked out ok, I was told my last bet is the lower speedometer cable is broke somewhere. Anyone know where to get one? I know mine is original. Is this easy to change? I need to know how fast I am going!:eek:

Unscrew the cable from the trans. Pull the gear adapter out of the trans by removing one 10mm bolt along with the locking tab and then pull on the adapter with a pair of pliers to remove it. Be careful not to mess up the threads. Check the gear for missing or flat spotted teeth. Also check the square hole in the end of the gear shaft to make sure it hasn't rounded.

I'd see if bweavy has a used lower cable, just clean it really good and spray some lithium grease in it. Napa also sells a repair kit, which is basically the steel inner cable that you cut and put an end on it, IMO I don't like the kit, but it's an alternative.

While we're on this topic...how do you get the lower speedometer cable out? I tried to take apart the cable where the two ends meet in the engine compartment but that will not budge...I need to grease the rest of my cable because my speedometers getting jumpy but I'm not sure how to do the bottom half...can i pull it out where it connects the tranny?

Just get a large pair of pliers, it just unscrews off the side of the tranny. May have to soak the connection where the two cables connect at the firewall with some PB blaster or WD40. I'm not sure, but there maybe one attachment with a 10mm screw that holds the lower cable to an area on the frame.

I bought a lower cable at Napa and it worked fine. They have a book with all kinds of configurations. There was a little metal piece that goes inside the cable that wasn't included. I picked up a three foot section at a hardware store and just cut off what I needed.