Is it nessasary to lap the valves in?

an87ttype

I just got my heads back with a 3 angle valve job. Should I lap in the new valves? Or is this type of machineing good enough?
Just wondering what's normal these days.
Thanks.............

Your machine shop should have lapped the valves before giving you your heads.........valve lapping is nothing more than seating the vaves against seat to ensure there are no leaks and the valves fit flush agains the seat...........hth

Woody

I ended up getting the valves separately so the heads didn't get assembled. I didn't want to grind them in if I don't have to.

Confused here dude:confused: The heads were 'done' at some machine shop...were the flippin' valves there to be done too, or not??? If not, you can have a 27 angle grind on your seats...who cares, if the valves don't match the seats???? If this was a separate deal, bring your valves, and your heads to the same machine shop and have 'em matched!!!!
HTH
Jim

The machine shop should have had at least one intake and exhaust valve to ensure they put the seats in the right place. Especially if you machined the seats for oversized valves.

Are you using stock or aftermarket valves?

The heads were machined properly for my Manley valves.
I was just wondering if this was a normal assembly process or if its not needed. I can ask the machinest on Monday but I wanted to get started today.
Thanks all...........

If the heads were machined for the valves, go ahead and install them. There should be no lapping required.