Is An 85 Ford Turbo Coupe Worth Any Time

I had an 88. I loved that car. Didnt do too much to it. advanced timing 2 degrees, did a front mount off of a Volvo, took our the EBCS and let that little IHI run @ full 18 PSI! :) Ran like a champ! Got rid of it with 174,000 miles and was still kicking. Kid I sold it to wrecked it 2 weeks later. :-(

For $850.00, I would definitely pick it up. If I am not mistaken, the 85-86 model years had a better turbo on them that the 87-88s.
Same turbo. Its actually the same as a stock 86-7 TR. Different compressor housing.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I've worked on these before and seen seen interesting dyno numbers. I've built turbos for these also. If you can get any car that is road safe for under $1000 it's worth grabbing It just to sell it for a profit

Hey bison, can you upgrade my stock turbo for the SVO? :)

That's a good deal! The 87-88s are more desirable since they're intercooled, but the hot air 83-86's have the bigger turbo(T3) but smaller injectors(5lb difference). Makes sense, huh? I daily drive an 88 TC 5spd with 55lb injectors and some other mods and it's pretty fun. Gas mileage best was 29hwy and around 16 city, but not sure about the 4eyed TCs. They are finicky motors(sensitive to ignition issues), but run well for what they are, especially in a heavy car like the TC. The IC 2.3Ts were 190HP...not sure about the non I/C.

Just like the HA Buick cars, they can be moded easily and I used to have a link to one spraying alky directly in the front of the turbo on a dyno test. It made just over 500 HP so you can tweak them to have some fun.;)

Also might add that the fastest full weight TC(sans A/C) I know of is running mid 10s through a C4. His name is Chris Hanks and he's making some awesome progress with that car! I'm about to drop in a 2.5 stroker/C4 and see how it does. If you want an underdog, the 2.3 is a nice choice! Stock bottom end can support around 450hp and even then, upgrading the rods/rod bolts will increase the safety margin.
Aux shaft and distributor gear failure is common though, but never had it happen to me.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p306/longbedGTs/newmotor1_zpsde1e0b2e.jpg

Hey bison, can you upgrade my stock turbo for the SVO? :)

Yes. Going larger on the turbine will make it lazy though. I've got a left over cea55 compressor that wouldn't be too bad with a stage 3 turbine. Would support about 250hp more than the stock wheels. It would take a lot of boost to get that potential though