Is a GN for me?

I don't recommend these cars to anyone who doesn't do their own wrenching. Your goals are easily attainable as far as a low 12 sec car. My car is a 100% street car that runs 12.0s on 18psi of boost with a small turbo. Its EASY to run that number and it doesn't put much stress on the car either but the Buick dealership doesn't know crap when it comes to fixing anything on these cars. You have to know how to turn wrenches and have time to do it. Unless you leave it stock.

Agreed. 12.0 is easy. If you want to spend some money on one already built and turn it back a little for street purposes only you might be okay for a while with no wrench... Eventually you are going to need some work done on the car so keep that in mind...

Sorry about what is going on in your life down there:frown:

I'd have to say no. You either love these cars enuf to put up with their quirks or you don't. your questions and concerns are valid but I have the feeling you're not ready for the time and expense of ownership. They do run great between breakdowns tho.

I'd have to agree with what has already been said. You will never get satisfaction having someone else diagnose and wrench on the car unless they are a known trusted TR shop. I hate to say it, but every day that the TR runs well, it is a good day. You have to be willing to deal with the ups and downs these cars bring and there are healthy doses of each!

I greatly appreciate all of the thoughtful responses. It seems that the general sentiment is to proceed with caution. I am aware that 20+ yr. old high strung cars will have their share of issues. I think that with the help of this forum I would be able to handle minor repairs and maintenance. The thing is that I have a demanding personal and professional life. I am looking for a toy.
If you read my initial post, then you know that I am probably selling my boat. If any of you have ever owned a b.o.a.t. (break out another thousand) then you should know that I am used to costly repairs. Thankfully, New Orleans is full of competent marine mechanics.
I am aware that the dealership cannot handle 20+ yr. old modified cars. I was hoping that a tech there could point me in the right direction. Nasty Wendy, you are right across the river from me, do you know of any mechanics in the area who know what they are doing with GN's. Unfortunately without competent local service, I don't think I can make it work for me. I'm looking for a fun fast driver and a GN is perfect. But, performance cars inevitably break and I need to have a plan in place for that day.

I'll sum it up! It's a love/hate relationship. When it right, you absolutely love it. When it's down, you hate it, LOL:rolleyes:

GNmaybe, you have a pm.

FWIW, I have a TR in the garage that has not NEEDED a wrench turned on it yet!

GNMaybe, who are you using for your Vette work? I see that you own an 03, and I know that the City has two great Vette clubs. Those guys are usually picky and have a few trusted wrenches in the clubs. I'd have no fear of using Mike Poupart at Bowtie Automotive for general repair of a GN. Tuning and what not, I do not know. He has PLENTY of Vettes running around his shop, and has a Viper road race car that he crew chiefs/drives, too. He is a professional, and would have no trouble repairng or maintaining your car, as it is just a G body, afterall. In my case, I foolishly tried a local transmission guru down here in Houma with near catastrophic results. I then pulled the unit and sent it to Mike Kurtz in Houston for an autopsy and rebuild. Problem solved, and then some! On the other hand, Southland Performance's machinist, Ronnie, was very familiar with Buick engines down here in Houma. He knew about the rolled fillets on the cranks on the Turbo motors, and is also up on the 455's issues. I told him what I wanted as far as clearances, and how I wanted the main caps cut, and he did the rest. It is not that there are no people around who know these cars. YOU have to network to find them. What is missing is a one stop shop that handles it all. Good Luck! Rudy.

Life's too short to get attached to one car. I'm stuck with the same woman, but not married to a car!!

IF you decide to get one for sure listen to these guys on buying one ready to go. I paid 6500 for my T-type a few years ago and now have right at 20,000 in it. The car is a BLAST to drive and mine runs lower than 12s on straight pump gas with no alcy, etc but these cars do not have cheap in them anywhere and they are not something you drive all the time without turning a wrench on . Now on the other hand if you are looking for something to play with a few times a month , or weekly there is not much on the street that will stand with a good running turbo buick. They are not curve carvers for sure like the vettes are but straight line they will slam you into the seat when the boost hits like nothing you have drove before ! Good luck Daniel

If you don't have a GN specific mechanic I would pass. There is always some little issue arising with the GN's, but there is always someone who gives you a thumbs up or smile, or some little child or girl you could scare with the open dump of turbo surge:biggrin:. I was meant to have one and I favor Buicks so I love it no matter how much oil it leaks, how many turns I have to slow down to 25MPH, or how many times I have to tell my passengers to not use the upper door pull straps.
When I am cruising on the highway and punch it, all is right with the world, except the oil blowby smell I get from the breathers. Get a 72 Nova or 69 Camaro or 70 Buick GS if you want a semi-reliable and/or easy to work on car.