Is a clean 87 GN T-Top with 88k miles worth 17k?

In my case I started to look for a low mile GN, 30k or under. I preferred some tasteful mods etc because I would of done it anyway. Then I joined this forum and did my homework. I also have a friend with a 23,000 miles 87 GN his Dad bought new and it has been garaged and babied. The paint is horrific and the engine bay is showing it's age. Then I started to rethink things. I no longer wanted a GN with factory paint because I would want to repaint it. There's $8000. I also figured out real quick how much money you can spend on speed parts, heads, tranny upgrade, converters; Turbo's etc. I'm at the point in my life that I want to tinker with these cars not all out wrench so I found a 122,000 mile car that had been redone the right way. New paint, motor rebuilt with heads, cam etc etc. It looks like a 10,000 mile car. I paid about what you are looking to spend on this car. Remember to consider what you think you will do with the car after you buy it and then decide what the car you are looking at is worth. I'm sure you can find a decent GN for $14 out there if you look but if you're like me and want nice paint, not a 20 footer then that 14K car just turned in to a $22k car adding a good paint job.

I know I will get flamed because someone will know someone who will do a show quality paint job for $3000 and that is great but I don't happen to know of that "Guy".

If this car is what you want and you really won't spend much money on it after you buy it then I say go for it. Just don't over think it, if it feels right for you then pull the trigger.

Looks clean under the hood although I have to ask how anyone who has not seen this car in person can judge its value with any degree of certainty based on 3 bad photos and one good shot under the hood? I don't mean to disrespect those who have given their opinion, honest. I truly want to learn how this is done. The 17k range will buy you a real nice TB, that much I know, but for those just looking at these photos how do you determine if its worth 17k without a better description, knowing what mods have been done, better quality photos of interior, exterior and under her skirt?

Looks clean under the hood although I have to ask how anyone who has not seen this car in person can judge its value with any degree of certainty based on 3 bad photos and one good shot under the hood? I don't mean to disrespect those who have given their opinion, honest. I truly want to learn how this is done. The 17k range will buy you a real nice TB, that much I know, but for those just looking at these photos how do you determine if its worth 17k without a better description, knowing what mods have been done, better quality photos of interior, exterior and under her skirt?
You can't...

Perhaps if you been doing this as long as some of us you can determine market value. Of course it isnt certain but for market average it is on the high side.
Two big minus points are t tops and the modifications.

ohhh yeah and the powermaster on it.

I agree, anyone who follows the market close enough will get a good feel for market values.

I know I will get flamed because someone will know someone who will do a show quality paint job for $3000 and that is great but I don't happen to know of that "Guy".

I don't know how someone could flame you for that statement! I had a long time friend of the family paint my T, and the paint supplies alone were $1,800.00 and that was for high grade primer and sealer and mid grade base and clear. My "budget" paint job cost $6,000.00 and that was with me having the car completely disassembled for him. Unless you're talking MAACO or Earl Sheib I would just assume a decent paint job is $6,000-10,000. IF I do another one, I am going to take it right up to being sprayed by myself and then have someone who knows what they are doing spray it. I also consider the $6,000 I gave him to be money well spent. :)

I saw this car Sunday.....blown away by the quality. The paint was a factory repaint and had the normal orange peel (vs show quality) but looked new and not a dent or scratch on the car. Interior was spotless and like new quality. I want T-Tops and while I know not always popular are something I'm somewhat firm on b/c I grew up in the 80's and T-Tops were cool and I got hooked.... Under the T-Tops was spotless (no rust or wear whatsoever). The car rode like a new car (no rattles, handled great, etc) and comes with all the orignal parts including a 2nd set of GN rims which were powder coated black. The owner had a roomfull of trophy's he won with this car. If I blocked out the odometer you would never guess 88k miles. He is the 2nd owner and the first owner was friend of his who babied it a always garaged it. The car has esentially been garaged it's whole life. I realize it's on the upper end but I'm buying it simply beacuse of its known history and it's turn key and spotless. Look at this way...everyone complains the vaue of these cars is deminishing....it's guys like me that are keeping the value up!! I post pics when I pick it up.

Personally I think condition is more important than miles on these cars. When I bought my car it had very low miles but it had some minor issues that needed sorting out and even though they were minor, it added up to a lot of work and money invested. I think I placed too much emphasis on low miles. I always said if I were to do this again, condition would be the #1 factor. Even though the initial price may seem a little high, as long as you are not trying to flip it or make an investment out of it, it sounds like a good deal.

Anyone who buys a car as an "investment" gets everything they deserve when they go to sell it. :D

I saw this car Sunday.....blown away by the quality. The paint was a factory repaint and had the normal orange peel (vs show quality) but looked new and not a dent or scratch on the car. Interior was spotless and like new quality. I want T-Tops and while I know not always popular are something I'm somewhat firm on b/c I grew up in the 80's and T-Tops were cool and I got hooked.... Under the T-Tops was spotless (no rust or wear whatsoever). The car rode like a new car (no rattles, handled great, etc) and comes with all the orignal parts including a 2nd set of GN rims which were powder coated black. The owner had a roomfull of trophy's he won with this car. If I blocked out the odometer you would never guess 88k miles. He is the 2nd owner and the first owner was friend of his who babied it a always garaged it. The car has esentially been garaged it's whole life. I realize it's on the upper end but I'm buying it simply beacuse of its known history and it's turn key and spotless. Look at this way...everyone complains the vaue of these cars is deminishing....it's guys like me that are keeping the value up!! I post pics when I pick it up.

Some people think prices are always low until they have to sell their car then they want the world (n). It is your money and could be your car. So it would be your decision. It is just money anyway, it isn't real. It seems that you found a real nice one and that it supports the higher end price range. As long as you could insure it for what you paid for it, you're good. Good luck and please post pics (bigger than 2 MP) when you get it. Were you able to negotiate it down at all?

gn_full.png
GN_motor.jpg

I'm not a T top guy but wow, that's a clean engine bay. Nice.

If someone offered me $17k for my 62k mile car then I would take it in a heartbeat. Or even $15k.:D Mine is nowhere near that clean though, especially under the t-tops.

Beautiful!!!
I bought my car about two years ago. It had 127k miles on it. Always garage kept. I agree that its not the mileage, but the condition of the car. I agree that you shouldnt buy a car as an investment. The prices on these cars will be going up as there arent as many left in decent shape like this example. A car is worth what someone is willing to pay and you cant put a price on the grin he will have as he drives his GN with the t-tops off. They should be enjoyed and i am enjoying mine!! I know you will enjoy your new GN. Congrats on the purchase.

When buying a really nice car, like this one is, you will need to know that it takes more money to take good care of her. After havin said that, Whao nice car. Looks brand new. Reminds me of the day I bought my T-Top GN. 3/17/87. I still love driving her. She makes me feel 27 years younger when I get behind the wheel. Its the ride with class that's exciting. Luxury with class comes at a price. I have never, in 27 years, regretted my purchase. In 87 when performance cars cost 11-14K, 20K was a lot. Be prepared to hold on you are going to fall in love. Keep her forever, will her over to one of your kids. GOING FAST WITH CLASS.

Thanks guys....I know I could get cheaper but the investment this owner put in was amazing. Less that 2K miles ago, new TA49, hooker exhaust, 3" downpipe, bilstein shocks, fuel pump, hot wire, boost controller, chip, injectors, factory fillers, I could go on and on....there's actually more chrome on it now...including valve covers. He bought all new when chroming parts so the original parts are in boxes. The undercarriage was spotless. If I bought it for $12k and added the parts alone, I'd be well over $17k. Buick Turbo Performance (Jim Dunn) did all the work. I don't want a beat up car that needs lots of work as that adds up quick. I'm happy and not to sound rash, but that's all that matters in the end. I WILL have a grin every time I drive it....cant put a price on that my friends....you know the feeling.

In other news. TTA 308 is on it's way to CliffyC. Left my house today - going from PA to Oregon....best of luck Cliff....that is a clean TTA that he should enjoy!.