Is 1/2 inch Worth It?

Linewalker

Right now, I'm running an LT1 3 inch MAF. I'm thinking about switching to the LS1 3.5 MAF. I would have to buy the larger diameter pipe and related hoses. Is the performance gain (if any) worth the extra cost?

TIA

The accurate answer fir now is; It depends.

We will need a lot more info on the setup and operating conditions, to get closer to a yes/no answer.

The accurate answer fir now is; It depends.

We will need a lot more info on the setup and operating conditions, to get closer to a yes/no answer.

As soon as I figure out how to add info about my car at the bottom of my posts, I'll do it.

I can't figure out how to add my mods to my signature. I'm frustrated and I'm tired of trying. Why can't anything be cut and dry? Either the 3.5" adds performance or it doesn't. Oh well.

There's a ton of reading material related to your question try googling 3" 3.5" maf turbobuick.. you don't necasarrily need a 3.5" maf pipe to go with a 3.5" maf, one school of thought is to create a velocity stack 4" filter to 3.5" maf to 3" maf pipe... General consensus from the posts I've read are you'll at least get improved throttle response w/ a 3.5" ls1 maf over a 3" or stock.

You'll see faster spool for two different reasons. You don't have to step up to a 3.5" pipe unless you want to. A reducing coupler can put a LS1 MAF on a 3" pipe with no problem. it will require upgrading the filter to a higher flowing unit but that allows the opportunity to toss a K&N filter with a sharp exit lip and go with something like an AEM with a tapered internal output. In that case it's a double whammy, larger ID and higher flowing from the shape.

Now here's where it matters. A 3" LT1 filter has only 60ish% the flow area of a 3" pipe. The 3.5" LS1 is in the mid 80's percentagewise. (I can't recall the exact numbers. It's been a while since I measured them and I can't find the thread where I posted the exact math).

Those are both important because the flow restriction is on the low pressure side of the turbo. Pumps can't suck and they only have 14.7 pounds of pressure to work with. Every time you add flow restriction you shoot yourself in the foot. Just 3 in/hg of pressure drop deprives the turbo of 10% of the available atmospheric pressure!

That being said, if the 'higher performance' from changing over causes your tires to blow apart, you'll go slower

...but with more performance. :)

Thanks for answering his question, It's not worth it to me for just that purpose ? but each of his own .

Welp, I've already got 2/3 of the equation with my 4" Tin Man system and 3" maf pipe. All I have to buy are the reducing couplers and the maf itself. I'm going for it. As far as the tires, I run drag radials 100% of the time. So they won't "blow apart". Lol

The velocity stack theory makes perfect sense to me. We'll see what happens in the real world.

Thanks for the replies.

Right now, I'm running an LT1 3 inch MAF. I'm thinking about switching to the LS1 3.5 MAF. I would have to buy the larger diameter pipe and related hoses. Is the performance gain (if any) worth the extra cost?

TIA
15 psi save your money,bigger turbo head cam running it hard do it right and go bigger

deezdad said:
"There's a ton of reading material related to your question try googling 3" 3.5" maf turbobuick"

It just occurred to me. Google has never bashed or made me feel inadequate.

Thanks for the tip, deezdad!

Your welcome but try not to take things personal, your getting free advice from some good Buick guys who have been there n done it several times over you don't want to drive them away.

I tested a couple years back with a an LT1, LS1 and a Z06 MAF at my track within 90 minutes. The 02's got slightly leaner when I went to the LS1 and the Z06. It would lead me to believe you're getting more airflow the larger you go.

deezdad said:
"There's a ton of reading material related to your question try googling 3" 3.5" maf turbobuick"

It just occurred to me. Google has never bashed or made me feel inadequate.

Thanks for the tip, deezdad!

Your welcome but try not to take things personal, your getting free advice from some good Buick guys who have been there n done it several times over you don't want to drive them away.

My latest post was not meant for anyone who replied to this tread. I apologize to whomever thought it did.