Iron or Bronze guides?

JeffG

Drive it like u stole it
Which is prefered in a factory iron and why?

Thanks in advance,

Wow, I would have thought someone would have some opinions on this. I've got iron guides in the heads now but a couple are showing some wear. My Cyl Head guy wants to switch over to bronze. He seems to think they will actaully last longer then the iron guides. I have my doubts (I am no expert by any means), so I thought I would toss it out there to you guys...............

If you are going to run a high performance Stainless steel valve I would change to bronze for sure, if you are going to run stock valves, I would still consider it. I had a Big block chevy we built one time and left the Iron Guides in it with a set of stainless valves and it gauled up on of the valves. Valve stuck, bent the valve, replaced all the guides with bronze and haven't had issues since. Drew

Ah,a reply. Thank you. Two of my SS exh valves were slightly gauled, but at the top and bottom of the vavle. I just wrote that off to a worn guide and a valve stem rocking back and forth in there.

Thx,

You may want to consider bronze liners. A little thinner and appears to be just as durable as replacement bronze guides

Interesting. My Champs came with liners and they failed after a few hundred miles. That was when I had new irons installed. After talking to several machine shops in my area, they all said liners are a joke, even if installed properly, which they rarely are to begin with. This is by no means a slam on your response (I appreciate it), I am just passing along what I have seen/heard.

Thx,

I've only got 4000 miles on them, so I'll let you know in about a 100,000 miles form now if they last that long:D .

I like that answer....good one :). I hope they work better for you then they did for me. At 4k miles, they already outlasted the ones I had.