Internet help

mike

This is my problem if anyone can help me. My modem and router are about 40 feet and 2 floors away from my computer. The internet works thru the wireless but it's really weak so I bought a better router and it didn't make a difference. Connecting straight from a cable doesn't work either, is it too long? Do they make a good quality cable that will work a long distance. Any help is appreciated.

It is possible you have a poor quailty cable. Solid wire cable (better) you can go to 328 feet. Standed wire up to 33 feet!!

Wat is in between the router and PC as far as electical and cemet walls and that sort of thing??

I have my 2nd computer on my 2nd floor and it's way over 40ft and no problems.

So if you use a shorter cable and use the computer near the router does the internet work? The easiest way I would think but you have to spend some money is to buy a cable tester for cat 5 wire.

Motorola modem and just bought a Netgear the real good one, and a Dell wireless usb card. If I use a shorter cable it does work with another computer. I was searching earlier and saw CAT 5 but where is the best place to buy it? Thank guys.

mike said:
Motorola modem and just bought a Netgear the real good one, and a Dell wireless usb card. If I use a shorter cable it does work with another computer. I was searching earlier and saw CAT 5 but where is the best place to buy it? Thank guys.

Looks like you got the wrong cable. Put the ends next to each other and see it the pins match color to color.

colors look like they match.wlaukiitis, where exactly can I get that kind've wire?

Quick, I've seen the extender but will it work if I put it 1 floor between my router and another floor between my computer?