intermittent starting problem

8bud

GIGANTIC Member
Car only starts when it feels like it. It has battery power, but sometimes there is a small pause between turning the key and it actually cranking- and sometimes it wont crank at all. It is a brand new starter and I pulled it back out and checked it and the starter is fine. What next?

Might be a good idea to replace the fusible links in the wires to the starter. They can cause intermittent problems too. Maybe a faulty ignition switch?

Similar problem as to what my car is having. It only happens when it's really warm though, usually at the track of course :mad: I checked the cables and all the grounds I could get my hands on. If there's a starter specific ground I didn't find that, but since it's usually not a problem I think it must be fine. Wouldn't think a ground connection would be temp dependant.

You said it was a new starter? Did you replace the starter solenoid as well (don't know if they always come as a pkg deal). I was told to have a friend tap the starter next time it happens...and if it cranks then the solenoid is bad. Good luck and keep us posted, I'm still experiencing the same bit (car going to shop this week hopefully).

Yup. Replaced the solenoid as well as it is part of the starter when you get a new one. My car doesn't care if it's warm or cold- it will do it either way. There is no specific ground on the starter, just 4 positive wires. Three go to the main post with the positive cable and one goes to the trigger. I'm wondering which one of the wires has the fusible links and where they are located under the hood? Thanks.