Intermediate (Steering) Shaft Coupler

6=8

11 Year GN Owner/Operator
Got a problem... This part has been discontinued, however, I really do not need the entire shaft, only to fix the "Rag Joint" (Steering Coupler) at the end of the shaft, at the steering gear.

I have searched, and read all the posts regarding this. In one post, a "Rebuild Kit" was refered to, but I have not had much luck finding one. I've seen some kits in the auto-parts stores in the HELP! section, but I have not found any that look correct.

Please help me out if you have been down this road before or have any leads!

Note: I do know there is the "Salvage Yard" option, but I would rather have one fabricated than to risk my life/car on a used 20 year old piece of rubber!

Thanks!

I think your only option is to go used. As you pointed out the aftermarket fix-its are generic. Now the lower section that you need also fits the 82-92 3rd gen F-body.The only way GM serviced these was with the lower part of the shaft. The rag joint was never available seperately like the older cars. Personally I wouldn't worry about the 20 YO part of it. If you look real close you can see that a fail safe metal strap holds everything together so if by chance it does break it will stay together long enough. I really never have seen one of these in un-usable condition. I would say try and find the cleanest looking part you can and go for it.

Try the Help section at AutoZone. *I think* I saw one there the other day.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies... I took another stab in finding a new part (Number: 7827755) , and I did get a responce from NewGMparts.com, but no luck:

"Unfortunately, the item(s) you are looking for are no longer available to us, they have been discontinued by the Manufacturer. We do have an extensive network of parts locators, and vintage suppliers, but we were unable to fulfill this request for you this time. Sorry"

So I guess pulling an old unit is my only option.

I will check the "help!" section again, but I'm pretty sure these are only for the older cars that allowed this part to be serviced without replacing the entire intermediate shaft.

Looks like another oportunity for the aftermarket to pick up the slack!

Hi Tom,

I might try it, but the dealer I attemped to get the part from took my money, ordered the part, and it came back as discontinued... Took an act of God to credit my account too... The system would not allow the parts guy to change the Qty from 1 to 0 because the part was discontinued!

Thanks... I've got a request into GMPARTSDIRECT and I'll post their reply...

tom h said:
I have an exploded parts view showing
# 7830862 is "Steering intermediate shaft" (ie, rag joint)

The part # comes up valid at both
P&G Chevy https://www.partszoneonline.com
and
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

But doesnt necessarily mean the part is truly available.

That is the correct number and it's been discontinued for almost a year now. I think I got the last one on the face of the earth 3 or 4 months ago. I just checked on my locators and nobody is sitting on one. I have access to about 10,000 dealer inventories.

Definitely Discontinued

GM Parts Direct replied:

"I am sorry the part number you requested have been discontinued and are
no longer available from GM. You will have to find an aftermarket source
for this part."

So, I'm checking with Borgson... I'll post what they tell me. The link was great! Thanks Jolly460!

I bet Lee Manufacturing can make it. 818 768-2687 in Cali. And this is good , because redoing your own using the Help lie is alot of work and its possible to cause alittle bit of steering bind. I bought some Help kits awhile back, because i knew no-one was buying them. I bet they got all tossed.

Borgeson has got me covered!

...And at a quoted price where they could make an entire intermediate shaft assembly for less than the GM list price the dealer was going to charge me ($280). Even better, I can just replace the Rag Joint itself for $72.

Here is their reply in case anyone else is or will be going through this little adventure:

"Each of the part numbers you mentioned replace the rubber disk and the lower metal piece in the rag joint. The different numbers are for 3 different spline sizes. Yours would take the 990012 which has a 3/4-30 female spline. They are $71.35 each. I would suggest replacing the entire intermediate shaft from the bottom of the steering column down to the steering box. We'd need you to verify the size of the shaft at the bottom of the column (probably 1" Double D) and give us the approximate overall length. We could provide a u-joint for each end, one of which would have an integral vibration damper, and either a solid or telescoping shaft to connect the two joints. Cost would be $255.42 for a telescoping assembly or $203.27 for a solid shaft assembly."

http://www.borgeson.com/ragjoints.htm

Thanks for all the replies! Its nice to see where I had no real option that I now have several.

Glad you found a solution to your problem! Only reason I knew about Borgeson is because I was gonna get a rag joint from them long time ago when I had my 89 IROC....it's common for their rag joints to get old and make the steering all sloppy.

steering shaft

hi, I would need part number for complete int steering shaft and price please thanks in advance do i have to send my old shaft to be rebuilt?????

Any G-body, two or four door, uses the same intermediate shaft. I'd pick one up at a U pull it for $10.

Red Regal T said:
Any G-body, two or four door, uses the same intermediate shaft. I'd pick one up at a U pull it for $10.

Note: I do know there is the "Salvage Yard" option, but I would rather have one fabricated than to risk my life/car on a used 20 year old piece of rubber!

They're trying to re-invent the wheel.

Personally I have no problem with a used part. I dont have the heat shield on the left side header and the heat cracks the vibration joint boot. I must replace it every other year or so. Like I stated there is a built in fail safe on these things.