Interesting Same Engineer

I was once told the same engineer was reponsable for ACCEL, FAST, and Big Stuff 3. So I did a search.

Greatest Speed Parts of all Time - Fuel Injection - Hot Rod Magazine

Digital Fuel Injection
By the '90s, hoards of enthusiasts were jumping on the EFI bandwagon and singing the praises of driveability, gas mileage, and (sometimes) horsepower improvements. But in the realm of serious power, limitations in factory electronics capped ultimate potential. EFI didn't like big cams, refused to rev beyond the factory air/fuel maps, and didn't get along with fuel injectors big enough to make real horsepower. Then in the mid-'80s, computer-whiz John Meaney created a standalone engine management system that controlled fuel and spark independently from the factory computer. Dubbed Digital Fuel Injection (DFI), Meaney's device provided almost limitless tuning potential based on a few simple parameters. The DOS-based software was easy to navigate and afforded real-time fuel/spark changes. Engine combos once deemed too radical for the street could be tamed to chug comfortably on the freeway and idle smoothly without sacrificing any power. A true testament to DFI's potential is its impact on import drag racing, where big-block-level air and fuel flow was crammed into four tiny cylinders and effectively managed with just four injectors. Meaney began marketing DFI through ACCEL in 1991, later developed a new standalone system for F.A.S.T, and is now offering his latest and greatest Big Stuff 3 system on his own. Corporate buyouts aside, DFI helped EFI reach its true performance potential and precipitated a new market of powerful standalone controllers for racers and hot rodders to chose from.--Stephen Kim

John Meany's 1st Co.

John's first (I believe 1st ?) co. was " DIGITAL FUEL INJECTION "
I still have one of his catalogs around her somewhere.
Talked with John several times back then about a special project I was doing at the time. ( Modifying a GM carb system (earlier 80's with oem ecm) to an EFI system ).

Great guy.
Very intelligent.
I would buy his systems over the competition any day.
I'm sure he doesn't leave all his eggs in one basket when he leaves (Accel, Fast,etc.....):) . If you know what I mean.

I was once told the same engineer was reponsable for ACCEL, FAST, and Big Stuff 3. So I did a search.

Greatest Speed Parts of all Time - Fuel Injection - Hot Rod Magazine

Digital Fuel Injection
By the '90s, hoards of enthusiasts were jumping on the EFI bandwagon and singing the praises of driveability, gas mileage, and (sometimes) horsepower improvements. But in the realm of serious power, limitations in factory electronics capped ultimate potential. EFI didn't like big cams, refused to rev beyond the factory air/fuel maps, and didn't get along with fuel injectors big enough to make real horsepower. Then in the mid-'80s, computer-whiz John Meaney created a standalone engine management system that controlled fuel and spark independently from the factory computer. Dubbed Digital Fuel Injection (DFI), Meaney's device provided almost limitless tuning potential based on a few simple parameters. The DOS-based software was easy to navigate and afforded real-time fuel/spark changes. Engine combos once deemed too radical for the street could be tamed to chug comfortably on the freeway and idle smoothly without sacrificing any power. A true testament to DFI's potential is its impact on import drag racing, where big-block-level air and fuel flow was crammed into four tiny cylinders and effectively managed with just four injectors. Meaney began marketing DFI through ACCEL in 1991, later developed a new standalone system for F.A.S.T, and is now offering his latest and greatest Big Stuff 3 system on his own. Corporate buyouts aside, DFI helped EFI reach its true performance potential and precipitated a new market of powerful standalone controllers for racers and hot rodders to chose from.--Stephen Kim

Interesting find. I was unaware that one man was responsible for three different systems.

Interesting find. I was unaware that one man was responsible for three different systems.

There are actually other people who did just as much work but never received the public accolades. John's a sharp guy, but he didn't work alone.

There are actually other people who did just as much work but never received the public accolades. John's a sharp guy, but he didn't work alone.

Since you were one of the "sharp guys" involved in the development of FAST way back when, you are absolutely correct in your statement.:smile:

Another "sharp guy" working next to you was Lance Ward, who did LOTS of field evaluation work, as well a development work like he is still doing. I remember him and his GN back in the early 90's in BG trying to help "educate" the masses about this new DFI system called FAST!:eek:

He is the one that certainly brought it to the forefront in the Buick community. He continues to prove that he [and FAST] are the best in the game when it comes support.:biggrin:

You and Lance [and Cal Hartline] have also been excellent tech advisors, and very helpful in the establishment of this forum here on TB.

Because of you "sharp guys", this forum is one of the most visited and respected of its kind on the net, thanks.

Nick, thanks for the kind words. My involvement with FAST began when it was called Speed Pro, flying the Federal Mogul flag at the time. I worked alongside Lance, whose work and contributions were essential to the success of that product.

There were others that were a big part of the development of the original Digital Fuel Injection system, but they are names that no one ever hears.

For the record, John Meaney had no involvement with the XFI system or the Accel Gen VII, although he sometimes is acknowledged with doing so. The system now known as the "classic" FAST system was developed in part by John and was originally branded as FP Performance. When Fel-Pro was bought out by Federal Mogul, the "FP box" was rebranded as Speed-Pro Electronics. When that product was sold to Competition Cams in 2001, it was rebranded again as FAST. Talk about an identity crisis! :D

The identity crisis wasn't quite over yet. When the BS3 was first introduced, it was again this same product with a few mods to the circuit board and new firmware. Some of the earliest Gen 1 BS3 units were actually units purchased from FAST and converted to the BS3 system.

Lance's car developed my interest in GNs a long time ago. I remember going to the track one fall day in 1995 with Lance, looking for his first 9 second pass at the time. The track owner LOVED Lance's car and the way it left the line (much like the pic in Nick's sig, for about 200 feet down the track!) and would SCREAM on the PA for everyone on the grounds to come watch this little V6 car hang the front end up in the air! The day concluded with a 9.99 second pass after a slew of 10.01s. :)

One day there WILL be a nice GN in my garage! For now, my daily driver is black, and it's a Buick... but definitely not a GN. I've enjoyed being a part of this forum and I am working on becoming re-acquainted with the EFI business as well as I miss those days. Thanks for having this "non-GN guy" around for so long!

Hello Rick,

I worked for Accel DFI for a while after I left FAST. I presently work for a company that does dynamometer control and data acquisition systems. Doing EFI tuning and sales on the side still.

You had me wondering if you were involved and then I saw Nick's post. Have you been involved with other systems outside of F.A.S.T.?

Actually, in re-reading Nick's post, I see something that I feel I should clarify. I wish I could say that I was part of the original development of the FAST system. However, that system was well in place when I started working there. My role was more of a supporting role really. While Lance and I collaborated on virtually everything we did, hardware and software design was his thing.

Another "sharp guy" working next to you was Lance Ward, who did LOTS of field evaluation work, as well a development work like he is still doing. I remember him and his GN back in the early 90's in BG trying to help "educate" the masses about this new DFI system called FAST!:eek:

He is the one that certainly brought it to the forefront in the Buick community. He continues to prove that he [and FAST] are the best in the game when it comes support.:biggrin:

You and Lance [and Cal Hartline] have also been excellent tech advisors, and very helpful in the establishment of this forum here on TB.

Since they offer such great support, maybe they can send me the copy of the Beta flash #37 that appears took out a expensive motor. :rolleyes:

Since they offer such great support, maybe they can send me the copy of the Beta flash #37 that appears took out a expensive motor. :rolleyes:

Damn Ted, do you have to whine about your race motor blowing up because it "appears" flash no. 37 "took out" your motor in every FAST thread that appears?:confused:

Not my thread, but my post, and do not appreciate your unfounded negative comments with me in it:frown:.

Damn Ted, do you have to whine about your race motor blowing up because it "appears" flash no. 37 "took out" your motor in every FAST thread that appears?:confused:

Not my thread, but my post, and do not appreciate your unfounded negative comments with me in it:frown:.

Well, when a company and individuals are advertised to offer such great customer support, I felt compelled to ask for some great customer support myself. Maybe they just offer great support when it all goes their way? :rolleyes:

Ted, I don't want to get in to slinging mud, but I'll leave it at the fact that there isn't a single engine management system that I am aware of that hasn't been blamed for a failure of some sort... NOT ONE. Whether or not these claims are true, I don't know, but keep in mind that your supposed cure to this problem has raised eyebrows in the past over similar incidents. Your refusal to move past your anger over an engine failure is preventing you from seeing two things: 1. No one did this to you on purpose! and 2. Lance did way more to try and correct the problem than anyone from any other company would have ever done for you, as he typically does. If your engine fails again, for ANY reason, John won't build you another engine either! I'm sorry about your experience, and I think it's worth stressing here that blaming Lance for this is unfounded and misleading.

And Mr. Top Gun, you are irrelevant. You offer nothing unique or meaningful to anything on this topic or any other topic. If all you have to offer is to whine about someone else's issue and make misinformed personal comments about other people, you do nothing other than detract from the issue at hand. Your antics and soap-opera behavior only serve to take the wind out of the sails of any issue you speak on. So, if not for the rest of the people who are tired of reading the diarrhea that you continually post up, you should consider keeping your comments to yourself for Ted's sake!

Getting back on topic

Few months back in the April '07 issue of GMHTP they had a nice write-up on Mr. Meaney and the birth of the aftermarket engine management systems..

Scanned it for those that might not have seen it~

I like his pick-up truck:cool:

Attachments

• meaney1.jpg
    meaney1.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 181
  • meaney2 gmhtp.jpg
    meaney2 gmhtp.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 171
  • meaney3.jpg
    meaney3.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 178
  • meaney4 gmhtp.jpg
    meaney4 gmhtp.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 174
  • meaney5.jpg
    meaney5.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 193
Craig, he could have sent me the file rather than order it destroyed if it really wasn't the flash then why was it ordered destroyed?

Great customer support also means telling the truth and not playing part of any type of cover up when a mistake is made.

Mr. Top Gun, you are irrelevant. You offer nothing unique or meaningful to anything on this topic or any other topic. If all you have to offer is to whine about someone else's issue and make misinformed personal comments about other people, you do nothing other than detract from the issue at hand. Your antics and soap-opera behavior only serve to take the wind out of the sails of any issue you speak on. So, if not for the rest of the people who are tired of reading the diarrhea that you continually post up, you should consider keeping your comments to yourself for Ted's sake!

Damn :eek: :eek: I just read through the most eloquent & diplomatic "slap in tha' face" reply !!! :eek: :eek: