Intercooler Hose Question

84GNwith87eng

I'm new with a GN, and I'm wondering, I had the intercooler tube that connects to the throttle-body pop off a few times, each time I had to reconnect it with the clamps. Did I seriously hurt the engine by this happening? I'm getting some extra strong clamps so it doesn't happen again, but I just want to make sure, because I'm noticing some oil leakage. Let me know if anyone has some input. Thanks

Chris

No harm done to your engine. This is a common problem with stock engines. The oil is probably from your intercooler being saturated from the stock ventilation system. Check to see if you still have the stock ventilation setup from the turbo inlet bell to the pass side valve cover. If so, this needs to go. Get a small K&N breather for the valve cover and plug the inlet bell hole. There are several kits for this setup. Then pull the intercooler and flush it out with solvent to remove the oil. Get some heavy duty hoses and clamps for the inlet tube ends as well as the turbo to intercooler. The stock hoses and clamps were piss poor when new. This will virtually eliminate your problems!

intercooler hoses

I agree with Will, go with the heavier hoses. Most, but not all of the oil you find in your intake ducting is probably as a result of the crankcase duct he mentioned. Don't be alarmed at a little passage due to the turbo also. The bearings get pretty sloppy with the years, seals have a hard time controlling the result.

If you have a stock egr valve boost can blow by it an into your engine. If its a silver one you might want to change that out to a nice solied brass one. Also you need to clean your intercooler boots very well with dish wasing soap cause its probley oil soaked and inspect your clamps to see if there in good condition. The bet clamps to use are the kind that use a nut and a bolt and its a stainless steel srap. there thicker and wider then the standard steel strap with the screw. They hold a lot better and look nicer too.