Intercooler hose (loud) pop?

I just got a Turbonetics manual boost controller. I have only turned the knob up three clicks and am hitting 15+ psi. My TT chip is good for 18 psi.

It is 64 degrees outside and humid.

I eased on the throttle up to full boost (WAY faster now) and had no problem. When I mashed it hard getting on the highway, there was a single loud pop :eek: and the car lost power for a second. It scared the crap out of me and I lifted immediately. I don't know what detonation sounds like, but I was sure that's what it was.

When I gently gave it gas (with fingers crossed,) it was right back to normal.

The scanmaster showed 0.0 knock retard, my O2 readings at WOT are 800+ and my fuel pressure is fine. I also have an old audible knock detector. It didn't do anything either, but it may not do anything anyway.

I drove around a while, and there was no sign of anything wrong. No new ticks, knocks or smoke from the tail pipe.

It would boost up to 10+ psi without issue. I mashed it again and watched the boost. Never went over 16 psi and it popped again (one loud pop.) Still 0.0 on the retard.

I decided to go home.

The scanmaster is working. Recall showed 785 O2 and 2.3 retard (happened when I was coming off the throttle at low speed and under 13 psi.)

It seems like as loud as this pop was, if it was inside the engine, I would have been towed home.

Can a hose "pop" and stay on?

The connection at the throttle body is suspect. I would just tighten it up and move on with life, but I worry that it is something more serious.

It was really loud and scary. :)

If you REALLY want a thrill when you are driving these cars, try doing it when you are poor. Seriously...Every tick and click is a heart stopper. :D

What MAF are you running? Stock?

Does the scanmaster show air flow rate? I've never had one, so I don't know... If it does, what air flow reading does it show when this happens?

Mike
Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible using Turbo Buick

I doubt a hose would pop & not come off. Its happened to me on the turbine discharge to the SLIC hose. It didn't make any loud noise though, just blew off due to being old & oil soaked.

~JM~

to answer your question.......yes I have had that happen to me......

Basically the clamp stayed on and hose in place but to a specific amount of boost it would blow by and a very loud pop. Most of the time it would blow the hose completely off and that is very obvious....but it did do it one time and it took me grabbing the piping and giving it a wiggle to find it.

I got rid of the worm clamp and went to the T-bolt style clamps and have never had a problem since!

I really got a good laugh at your last sentence......I know exactly what you mean! I have two hot rods and money has been extremly tight so yes when I hear little ticks and noises it makes my heart skip lol! The alternative is to not drive it then you never break it but what fun is that?......Two weeks ago I broke the pinion snubber bracket right off my vette......fortunately it is something I can fix with scrap metal and a welder.

I try to baby the GN when I drive it but boost is sooooooo much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

to answer your question.......yes I have had that happen to me......

Basically the clamp stayed on and hose in place but to a specific amount of boost it would blow by and a very loud pop. Most of the time it would blow the hose completely off and that is very obvious....but it did do it one time and it took me grabbing the piping and giving it a wiggle to find it.

I got rid of the worm clamp and went to the T-bolt style clamps and have never had a problem since!

I really got a good laugh at your last sentence......I know exactly what you mean! I have two hot rods and money has been extremly tight so yes when I hear little ticks and noises it makes my heart skip lol! The alternative is to not drive it then you never break it but what fun is that?......Two weeks ago I broke the pinion snubber bracket right off my vette......fortunately it is something I can fix with scrap metal and a welder.

I try to baby the GN when I drive it but boost is sooooooo much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The boost is addictive. My car is plenty quick @ 13 psi. I should probably just leave it alone, but I can't. Now that spools so quick, it is like a whole different car. I have to know what 18 psi is like. I am guessing it will be the same only faster :D

I think it is the hose connected to the throttle body. It looked kind of loose and the pipe and TB don't match up that well. There is a gap where the hose probably swells pretty good under pressure. All my intercooler connectors are old and are using worm-gear clamps. I've been meaning to change them, but there are plenty of little things to spend money on. It is probably time for an upgrade.

I took the plumbing off and put it back on. I made sure all connections are as tight as they will go. I turn the boost back down.

I won't be able to test drive it until I get off work. I didn't want to blow my motor in the middle of the night.

I used to lose a pipe on this turbo Talon I had. It would't pop though. It would just come off and the car would die. It also wasn't as serious a car as the Buick.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the way the boost comes on with the boost controller. It is way more sudden :eek: I think I heard a smaller pop once. It may have been leaking without me knowing, and now it just gives out. It goes from vacuum to 15 psi in the time it took to get to 7 psi before. It's kind of crazy. Even without turning the boost up, it was a mod worth the money.

I don't see how the engine could pop that loud and not be broken. It also seems like a mechanical issue would have multiple pops rather than just one loud one. I have never heard detonation for sure though.

I can fix a lot of stuff, but a blown engine is beyond my experience level. This car keeps me scared and nervous.

Maybe I should sell it and buy a Civic. :D

more than likely the pop you heard is a hose where pressure is escaping......however I would keep the boost down (I know hard to do) until you get everything cleaned up and straightend out.
Knock if bad enough can be heard but is not as loud as a intercooler hose going under boost.....and yes if you had a hard part faiuler you would know.

My car makes loud pops when too rich....basicall the plug flame is getting blown out and it is pretty noisey but that does not sound like what you are decribing.

Keep your boost low until everything is working properly.....no need for a Civic lol

Are you sure it isn't a "lean" pop in the intake? The boost may be coming up too fast for the fuel curve leaning the motor out.

My car did the same thing when I added a boost controller.. Boost was coming in way to fast and causing the pop.. I was only running 15 lbs of boost.. I even ran race fuel to see if octane was the issue.. This didn't help either.. I took the controller off and that solved it.. Turns out the controller is deigned for more boost then stock levels such as 18 psi and up..