intercooler flush

I believe the spring cleaning guide from Turbo Regal Web Site sez to fill it with 2 cans of carb cleaner, slosh it around and rinse it out.

Another more environmentally friendly option is to take it to your local radiator shope and have them boil it out....

Here's the instructions form the spring cleaning guide....
>>It is also a good idea to annually pull the intercooler out of the car and perform a thorough cleanup both inside and out. To remove the intercooler, remove the intake tube and loosen the hose clamps that attach the intercooler to the turbo outlet. Wiggle the hose away from the intercooler as far as possible.
Next, remove the front scoop by undoing the little screws that attach the housing to the intercooler. Then undo the two 10mm bolts on the passenger's side and the one 10mm bolt on the driver's side. The last bolt is on the underside of the intercooler on the passenger's side. Then carefully lift the intercooler out of the car.

Once the intercooler is out of the car, you can begin the cleanup procedure. First, spray an entire can of the oxygen sensor safe carb cleaner into the intercooler. Do this in a well ventilated area! "Slosh" the fluid around in the intercooler for several minutes. Then dump the fluid out and repeat until the resulting fluid is clean.

Once it is clean, I normally go to the car wash and use the high pressure washers to clean the fins and the outside of the intercooler. This removes the road grime, bugs, etc. from the fins and ensures that the intercooler has good air flow. Be sure to be careful not to bend or crush the fins when using the high pressure washer. You can also use the LOW pressure setting on the washer to rinse out the inside of the intercooler. This will remove any residue left from the carb cleaner.

Finally, I like to take my Wet/Dry Shop Vacuum and duct tape the hose to the intercooler tube. I then tape a thin shop rag over the other tube and let the vacuum run for an hour or so with the intercooler in the inverted position. This will remove most of any remaining moisture from the intercooler.

Reinstall the intercooler and intake tube.<<

You can also use a gallon of gasoline even at $3 a gal. its still cheaper than carb/brake cleaners and you know its o2 sensor safe.

Believe it or not Simple Green will work just as well.

I never would have believe it myself but I've been able to get all of my engines just as clean using Simple Green than I did with the Engine Brite or other petroleum based products. The stuff works really well. Get you some hot water and mix in with the Simple Green and let it sit for 30 minutes in the IC :cool:

When I worked at Mack Trucks, we found that dawn dishwashing detergent worked best. It really broke down the oil. Then fresh water flush. I made up caps with an air fitting in them to hook shop air up to to help dry them out.

Turbo failure was common on the Macks, and would always fill the intercooler up with oil. Run away was a huge concern when this happened, since enough oil would go thru the intercooler and into the intake, and the big diesels would just rev out of control using the oil as fuel. There was no way to shut em down until it blew since throttle was controlled by fuel (no throttle body, no spark, etc).

Simple green will work great I have used it for this in the past. Use the concentrated simple green and do not add any water. Great stuff and supposed to friendly to the environment.

x2, any gas left will burn off.

Well if your gonna use gasoline and have E85 around, just use the E85 it will work even better than gasoline and evaporates way quicker.

For me I'll use the Simple Green, the environment is my friend :D

When I worked at Mack Trucks, we found that dawn dishwashing detergent worked best. It really broke down the oil. Then fresh water flush. I made up caps with an air fitting in them to hook shop air up to to help dry them out.

Dawn dishwashing detergent is what i use also for any cleaning that involves oil or grease, it works great and i already have it in the kitchen and it's cheap and safe.

I just used gasoline, and then used the "dirty gas" in my lawn mower.

The guys over on the Snapper board are going crazy. :mad:

X2 for gas. May not clean as well but I love the smell.

Of course you could just install your alky nozzle pre-intercooler and never have to worry about it again. :biggrin:

Of course you could just install your alky nozzle pre-intercooler and never have to worry about it again. :biggrin:

thats has been a thought on my mind for the eagle talon since the i/c is so small to help it cool a tad bit better.

Fill it up with gas and let it sit overnight, over some white drop paper.
Next day look for gas under the intercooler. Dump the gas out and blow dry, vaccum, whatever.

Now you have not only cleaned the unit, but also checked for leaks.:p

The guys over on the Snapper board are going crazy. :mad:

X2 for gas. May not clean as well but I love the smell.

Sheeeooot! Briggs and Stratton, baby. My ex-wife once cut the whole yard using 100% xylene. The thing still runs like a champ.:biggrin:

Sheeeooot! Briggs and Stratton, baby. My ex-wife once cut the whole yard using 100% xylene. The thing still runs like a champ.:biggrin:

i bet the tank/carb and valves were spotless too along with the muffler from running lean.