Intercooler fan

iancamaro

Is the intercooler fan a must? I bought a car that didn't have one Is it worth putting one on it?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

No. That thing does nothing but spin.

Thanks! It looks to me it robs more power than it would make

It performed its intended function when originally used with the stock intercooler

I have at least a half dozen of them in my basement:)

If that tells you anything.

Shhhh.....I'm making a helicopter.

I would keep it with a stock location IC, with a Front mount IC you wouldn't need it.

I would keep with any stock location IC since the Buick Engineers designed it this way. It's too small to create any HP losses , just my opinion.

"a must", probably not. Should it be added? That depends on the intended use and operating conditions of the vehicle. Airflow that has a temp lower than the core temp accross the IC is never a bad thing, imho. :confused:

I think adding 2 lbs to your crank pulley doesn't really help out with HP. The best option I would think is to throw a small electrical fan in back of the intercooler and keep the stock fan off.
We really need someone to do some intercooler temp testing!

Small electric fan sounds like a good idea. Really I don't think any fan would be a benefit unless your stuck in traffic were air wasn't being forced into the shroud

I have a stretched stock location intercooler and I have not run a fan in years.....actually the first time I built the engine that fan was one of a few items that went into a box and not back on the engine.

Imo the shroud is way more important than the fan ever could be......I dont know the math behind it but at some point the airflow coming into the shroud is going to be greater than the air that fan can pull going down the road. So in my opinion the fan is doing its best for "airflow" sitting in traffic or slow speeds which I am not concerned about.

Actually my shroud was damaged in a wreck and it is currently not on......I have to fab one up since the old one was completely destroyed. With that said I have no fan and no shroud (gonna make a shroud soon) and I have not seen any downside for the past year and the car has been at the track and runs great! So I would say the fan is not crucial and would not bother unless I was all stock........

If you really wanna do something to drop the air temps.....then bolt on a spray bar in front of the coils and hit is with O2....you could just about freeze the damn thing and that would be optimum. I have looked into it but have not moved on it yet cause I have not got to fine fine tuning yet

I'm considering going back to a SLIC, and rather than the crank fan I would use a electric fan off a sport bike